Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Can you get Konfabulator widgets into dashboard?

Can you get Konfabulator widgets into dashboard?
deermatt
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2005, 02:34 PM

konfabulator just clutters up your desktop with their widgets, is there a way you can get them to open in dashboard like your other widgets instead of all over your desktop?
photography is beautiful

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2005, 03:40 PM

you can hide konfab widgets, put them at any layer you want, including the desktop, unlike crummy dashboard...

but yes, from what i have heard, you can convert konfab widgets into dashboard gadgets. i don't know how though.

deermatt  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2005, 12:11 PM

one response for 113 views? come on people
photography is beautiful

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2005, 01:29 PM

-deleted-
( Last edited by Randman; May 7, 2005 at 01:55 PM. )

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 7, 2005, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Actually, if you searched a little, you should have come across the thread on the Amnesty beta.
Ummm... Actually, if you read a little, you should have seen that he's talking about Konfabulator widgets doing the Dashboard thing, not the other way around.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 7, 2005, 01:45 PM

RE: Topic.

I don't believe there's any simple way to convert Konfab widgets into Dashboard widgets. They're programmed in slightly-different fashions.

Something may be released in the future, but for now I guess you could email the Konfab widget programmers who wrote the widgets you use most often, and ask if they plan on porting their widgets over.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2005, 03:17 PM

Well, Konfab widgets do of course have their own version of the dashboard layer, called Konspos�, by default triggered by F8. You can change this to F12 in the Konfab preferences, and both Konfab and Dashboard Widgets will show at the same time. (Any Konfab widgets will have to be set to "Konspos� Only" in their own preferences).

I have tried this and it works, although you do have to press F12 three times to make the layers go away again. See for yourself.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2005, 09:02 PM

aren't Konfabulator widgets just a bit of JS and/or HTML or something? and a Dashboard widget is basically the same. couldn't the code just be copied and pasted?

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2005, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by mugget
aren't Konfabulator widgets just a bit of JS and/or HTML or something? and a Dashboard widget is basically the same. couldn't the code just be copied and pasted?
i'm not sure about being able to just copy paste the code. it's probably slightly different.

i've looked in konfab widgets and their is almost nothing to them. some people say dashboard gadgets are easier to make, but i can't see how thats possible. konfab widgets are simple to make, by the looks of it. i've never made either though.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 10:31 PM

simple xml for both...slight different commands when u look closely tho

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 9, 2005, 07:04 AM

What's the long term viability of konfab widgets now that dashboard is out. I'm guessing that it will whither on the vine. I myself tried it but found it too obtrusive, where as dashboard's intergration seems to be more elegent (at least to me).

Peace
Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules