Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail - removing messages from server

Mail - removing messages from server
MoontaMacman
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2002, 09:08 PM

I know - here I am again asking the most basic of questions -I had this iMac set up to remove messages from the server as received some time ago but then I ended up using three different machines to retrieve email so I changed the setting to leave the messages on the server so that they could be read without omission on all three machines -that got complicated as every now and again - like today - I realised I had about 500 email - many with attachments on the server - I can remove them by running Outlook Express but over time I have got used to Mail and prefer it - but I cannot recall how to get it to remove messages once read - it is not in the Preferences ( as far as I can see) where does one set this up? I've also searched Mail Help files but cannot find a reference to the procedure -- DUH! Blame it on old age

Ron Co
http://home.iprimus.com.au/alenka_ron

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2002, 09:37 PM

If it's a POP3 account, in Mail preferences, choose the account, then "edit," then in the "Account Options" tab check the box "delete messages on server after downloading" - that should do it for you.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

schep
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2002, 09:45 PM

Or don't do that and delete it and goto mailbox->emty deleted messages
this should work too

Forum Links
Forum Rules