Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dishonest Mac Users

Dishonest Mac Users
LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 10:58 AM

People who are not eligible for the Panther upgrade and who have had there Serial Numbers go through are being dishonest. People at apple worked there asses off on this upgrade, and if you have a gripe instead of being jerks; Why not call them and complain. if enough people call you will get a deal. It isn't unfair becasue nothing in the world is free. Although I understand why people are mad.

We are better then this. My call too all is to call apple and if enough people do perhaps they will give in.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

michael_on_mac
Oct 9, 2003, 11:08 AM

Uhh, could you repeat the point of your post straight away?

Sorry, I cant get this unscrambled... somehow...

Michael.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2003, 11:20 AM

Ummm, no offence, but do they teach grammar, spelling, and correct sentence construction in Rochester schools?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 12:16 PM

It's pretty simple really. I qualify.

My 17 was purchased on the 28th and I did the softwaqre update from 10.2.7 to 10.2.8 and either have to do a clean re-install of 10.2.7 because of power management related kernal panics, including downloading the .dmg file of 10.2.8 or.....wait and baby my machine with the whole plug in and unplug while awake game and wait for my copy of Panther.

I have had some major down time because of a bad software update (The NEW ONE)

Dude!! I so qualify!!!

P.S. I did call and write about this too.

db
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

djjava
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Ummm, no offence, but do they teach grammar, spelling, and correct sentence construction in Rochester schools?
I'm going to guess that you are perfect at spelling and grammar when posting to message boards and sending instant messages.

Must we bicker amongst each other? We are all on the same team here. All LfGrdMike is saying that instead of stealing a deal on Panther, just buy the damn thing and complain later. Personally, as much as I'd love to get a deal on Panther, if I have to pay the full price, so be it. I have no qualms about supporting Apple.

I have a RevA PB17. I don't qualify for the $20 upgrade. If for some reason I entered my serial # and qualified, I wouldn't do it. I'll be using my education discount, as I am an enrolled student. Again, I have no problems supporting Apple. They offer wonderful hardware and software, and the only way they can continue is to be supported by people like us.

If I have any spelling errors or grammatical errors, sue me.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

michael_on_mac
Oct 9, 2003, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by djjava:
I'm going to guess that you are perfect at spelling and grammar when posting to message boards and sending instant messages.
My point actually was that I really didnt understand what the OP was talking about, whether he was pro or con the upgrade programme. It's probably not too much effort to put your thoughts in a straight line before putting them online, I believe.

I have a RevA PB17. I don't qualify for the $20 upgrade. If for some reason I entered my serial # and qualified, I wouldn't do it.
Not sure if that's the way to support a company that should survive competition...

Michael.

popstand
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 01:35 PM

Hey smart guy,
unless you are writing from the UK, offense is spelled with an 's'. Check your own spelling before you criticize somebody elses. That said, Apple should extend the deal to all new PB owners. It's the least they could do after making us wait so long.

djjava
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by michael_on_mac:
Not sure if that's the way to support a company that should survive competition...
I'll be buying panther, that is for sure, but I'm not going to take advantage of Apple to do so. I'll buy it @ the EDU discount
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2003, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by LfGrdMike:
People who are not eligible for the Panther upgrade and who have had there Serial Numbers go through are being dishonest. People at apple worked there asses off on this upgrade, and if you have a gripe instead of being jerks; Why not call them and complain. if enough people call you will get a deal. It isn't unfair becasue nothing in the world is free. Although I understand why people are mad.

We are better then this. My call too all is to call apple and if enough people do perhaps they will give in.
I bought my 12" Powerbook on october SEVENTH. The next day, Apple said I wasn't qualified. I tried that link that apparently allows people to get the $20 upgrade anyway, and it worked for me. This makes me dishonest? Nope.
( Last edited by vmarks; Oct 9, 2003 at 10:51 PM. )

djjava
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by The Jackalope:
I bought my 12" Powerbook on october SEVENTH. The next day, Apple said I wasn't qualified. I tried that link that apparently allows people to get the $20 upgrade anyway, and it worked for me. This makes me dishonest? Nope.
that is kind of a kick in the balls. But must we call eachother names?
( Last edited by vmarks; Oct 9, 2003 at 10:52 PM. )

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2003, 01:57 PM

Yes.

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 02:11 PM

I'd love to know how I'm being dishonest by correctly entering my serial number into an Apple webpage that determines eligibility, and getting Panther at a discount.

If Apple didn't want me to get Panther for $20, they would have told me I'm not eligible seeing as they know when I registered my system, and when I bought it.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

djjava
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by Chemmy:
I'd love to know how I'm being dishonest by correctly entering my serial number into an Apple webpage that determines eligibility, and getting Panther at a discount.

If Apple didn't want me to get Panther for $20, they would have told me I'm not eligible seeing as they know when I registered my system, and when I bought it.
honesty is in the eye of the beholder.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2003, 02:45 PM

Jackalope: By really insulting someone else, you've proved yourself to be exactly, precisely, the very thing that you're accusing him of.

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2003, 03:19 PM

I checked out a page on APPLE'S OWN WEBSITE that said I qualified. How this is dishonest is beyond me, since Apple says it is fine. Personally, threads like this make me wonder what the hell is wrong with some people.

Now, if he had said something like "This is BS that Apple is not allowing people who purchased hardware within X amount of time to get the discount, let's all call Apple and complain" instead of throwing accusations at people who apparently Apple is somehow allowing to get the upgrade anyway, I wouldn't have said a thing other than "you are right, I'll give them a call.

Personally, I think the only people who really have a right to complain is those who just got any piece of hardware that was announced this summer. Anyone who bought harware before that wanting a cheap upgrade is having a pipe dream. Hell, I wouldn't have blinked twice if I had been told "you have to buy the $130 upgrade for that eMac you bought in January", because that seems fair to me. But people who just got Rev. B Powerbooks, a product that was announced right after Panther was, should be eligible.

I have no qualms getting my upgrade disk, which is NOT a full install disk, for $20.
( Last edited by vmarks; Oct 9, 2003 at 10:50 PM. )

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2003, 03:26 PM

Dude,
chill you don't have to be so vulgar. Regardless of which side of the fence your on you don't need to be so base in your response.

Mike

Super Glitcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 03:48 PM

If the website glitches, that's a corporate error and you can't expect people to not take advantage of it. That being said, this is an opportunity to show your true colors. If you know in advance that it's happening by mistake then your are compromising your own ethics by taking advantage of it, hence- being dishonest. Unless you have no ethics, in which case this is the least of your problems.

If you don't support Apple how can you expect them to continue to innovate?

By the way-
THIS IS A FREAKING OS UPGRADE!
OMG Get over it!
"Thank you Mario, but our princess is in another castle."

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2003, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
Dude,
chill you don't have to be so vulgar. Regardless of which side of the fence your on you don't need to be so base in your response.

Mike
I'm off to drink some chamomile tea with my pinky out to rectify those posts of mine. That should satisfy this crowd.

webb3201
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 04:03 PM

HEHEH...it appears that the use of punctuation was totally random.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 04:06 PM

Well my point was, I do feel bad for you September buyers; however you can read that update program page right. Each of you who read that knows you�re not eligible. Yet, you try anyway out of desperation and behold you got the discount. If I were an apple developer, that worked my ass off on Panther, I would be pissed. Those features weren�t easy to make; however none of you seem to think about the excessive time the developers spend on this product. If puma wasn�t released for 20 dollars people wouldn�t run there mouths about this every single time a new version of OSX is released.

Shove the spelling and grammar up your backend. I think you can read between the lines despite typos; I don�t proofread on forums. I am too busy to do it, and I could care less.

Its not Mr. Sensitive, it�s about honesty and trust. If you don�t like the price you can do better than being dishonest. Call the flipping company and bitch about it for crying out loud. If enough people call then maybe you will become eligible.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 04:14 PM

If Apples phone support or whatever specifically said, �Hey you can have the upgrade for 20 bucks� then fine. If you are taking advantage of some mistake they made that�s wrong. Call them and tell them the following. �Hello, my name is????, and I just bought a PowerBook?Model? from your company. I am not eligible for the Panther upgrade, and I feel this is unfair. My computer is only # weeks old. Given that I just gave your company over 2000 dollars for your quality laptop; I feel that I deserve a deal on the Panther upgrade.�

It�s as simple as that; Apple is friendly and probably will give it to you. At least you would be getting the update the honest way. Right?

LOL, the guy that ordered on, October 7th makes me laugh. I bet if that chap called Apple, he would have that discount.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2003, 04:17 PM

Well my point was, I do feel bad for you September buyers;
Well I'm in that boat, I bought my PB 09/23 so I'm out of contention. I have not and will not attempt to garner the upgrade. Maybe I'm in the minority but I will abide by the rules and purchase the copy for 129.

I like how SuperGlitcher put it regarding ethics and honesty, nuf said.

Regards
Mike

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 04:20 PM

No, Maflynn, call apple and try to get the upgrade for a better price. Just try it and see what happens. You just spent a lot of money, and you should try to get that discount. Its one call away.

Oh ya anyone from this summer. Let Apple not make any profits off Panther right lol. No, the month of september seems to be fair if you ask me.

khufuu
Oct 9, 2003, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by djjava:
Must we bicker amongst each other?
Yes!

It makes life FAR more interesting....

khufuu
Oct 9, 2003, 04:24 PM

Actually...

I think that anyone who bought a new mac within the last three months should get a substantial discount. And... anyone you bought any newly rev'd machine should get it for free.

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 04:26 PM

Who said I�m accusing anybody? I know some of you have become eligible even though your not, I don�t care who. All I am pointing out was that you were being treated unfairly, but why treat apple unfairly. If their site says October 7th and you don�t agree call them give them your reasons. That�s all it takes� Some people did that and can say they honestly got the upgrade for 20 dollars. That�s the difference.

drew420
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2003, 04:27 PM

Hay faokes,

I was brawsing the aple on line st-o(sp) and I got the upgrede for Thwienrty bux!

Pihl.
---

Poowabook 1.22 15"

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 04:28 PM

khufuu, if apple had a larger user base this might be possible. Apple is a small company; all of us need to remember this. Therefore they need to make some profit on the new OS. Otherwise I would agree with you.

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 04:31 PM

With all this forum talk of the glitch in Apples order system I wouldn't be surprise if they double check each serial number and purchase date, verify eligability, and cancel the orders of those who do not qualify. Yes I think all Powerbook AI owners should receive Panther for the $20 fee, but to exploit an error in Apples website to get the discount is wrong. That is like getting a friends student card and buying it at EDU price, just wrong. As said, if enough Powerbook owners complain, cancel non-shipped orders and re-order, Apple will change the policy. Personally I am waiting to buy Panther. As much as I want to upgrade I still have flash backs of the 10.2.8 update. I can hardly wait to see the 'I ripped off Apple and got Panther for $20, now Panther has bugs and I am mad' posts. Just my 2 cents.

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 04:33 PM

CobraNT makes a good point.

It was just a while ago some jerk released an exploit in PHPBBs security before it was fixed. Everyone was mad at him. This is kind of like that in a way.

Of course there will be bugs. Why its a fact.

Its versoin 10.3, and most likely we will be able to update to .1 once we get it. It will still have bugs though and wont be solid until 10.3.3 at the least.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2003, 04:44 PM

... however you can read that update program page right. Each of you who read that knows you�re not eligible ...
You are assuming that it is the "Up-to-Date serial number" page that is in error and not the "Up-to-Date description" page.

Perhaps you are being immoral by not getting the $20 update?

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 04:57 PM

You are assuming that it is the "Up-to-Date serial number" page that is in error and not the "Up-to-Date description" page.

UMM, ya nice try but your way off.

The point is not hard to understand. If the description page is in error then its in error. You shouldn't try your serial number because of what that page says. If apple fixes the descriptoin page then put in your serial number because now your eligible.

Apple hasnt changed the date so your being dishonest if you try . Of course you can do it the honest way and ask them over the phone,

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 04:59 PM

L; kfj gjjgl;e qneopoif grable kosp fk g;. JFl;ekj a!! jgopek;z jcklp;v;l. jf;w. Hahah. jg;.. e;lkjpz jpoble/t moij 23 jpbopdl;. And .g;elk / /l jpboif.

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by wanderlust:
L; kfj gjjgl;e qneopoif grable kosp fk g;. JFl;ekj a!! jgopek;z jcklp;v;l. jf;w. Hahah. jg;.. e;lkjpz jpoble/t moij 23 jpbopdl;. And .g;elk / /l jpboif.

[rant]Good God, people, I'm not perfect, but don't you know the difference between you're and your, its and it's, their and there and they're, two, to and TOO? The two folks up there have a good point...not to be mean or anything. God forbid anyone's feelings are hurt because they aren't edumacated.

For those of us who fell asleep only half the time in English, honestly, you really lose quite a bit of credibility when you can't spell. It's almost like trying to impress your boss or boy/girl friend and having a goober hanging out of your nose. People usually won't say anything, but it's just too glaring to ignore. And if you're not going to take the time to spell correctly (I mean good grief, for Safari users, an immediate BUILT-IN SPELL CHECKER underlines any of your mistakes FOR you), and display your thoughts in any kind of coherent manner, you might as well post like I did above. Why have any rules?[/rant]

(Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest finally after a year of reading through this gush. No yu can go boutn yer busness. Kant we al jus git alung??)
( Last edited by wanderlust; Oct 10, 2003 at 02:13 AM. )

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2003, 05:19 PM

LOL, the guy that ordered on, October 7th makes me laugh. I bet if that chap called Apple, he would have that discount.
I bought it in the store, cash. I went to that site and got the discount. Problem solved. I think you are making far too much of this.

I Me Mine
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by wanderlust:

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 06:07 PM

Do I get a grade on a message board or in chat. no. So do I care if you bitch about errors, no. Do i want to waste my time editing some post no. Why, I have better things to do, but still enjoy the forum. Do I read my posts before I post. Not a lot.

Are there errors in this post. I hope so because i want to piss you off.

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 06:11 PM

A lot of people make those common errors buddy. Are and our exce-tera, and sense this is a message board you will c a lot of it. When I say there and their they sound the same. Sure it matters which one you use in writing, but it doesn't matter on a message board. Kind of like talking on a phone. You don't need to spell out the word there for someone to know what your talking about.

If only we were all perfect like you we wouldn't have to proof, and revise.

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 06:17 PM

Ok my post to Wiskedjak was really bad so im going to post it again lol.

Wiskedjak said:

Does it matter? If the description page states that your not legible then why would you try? If it goes through like it has been doing then you are still being dishonest. So as far as I am concerened it doesn't make a difference. Call Apple state your beef and c if you can get the discount the honest way. They probably will give it to you. You also won't feel guilty.
I know its not perfect, but its better I am really busy tonight.

MacsGalor
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 06:25 PM

Look you give them your serial number and the date that you bought it. APPLE says that we qualify, it wouldn't be there if we didn't qualify. I think that Apple just didn't announce this but knew that not giving it to new PowerBook owners is wrong so they created this link
( Last edited by MacsGalor; Oct 9, 2003 at 07:02 PM. )

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2003, 06:35 PM

... If the description page states that your not legible then why would you try?
Actually, I think it was YOU who was not being "legible"
(couldn't resist!)

michael_on_mac
Oct 9, 2003, 07:02 PM

Well, boys...

I wasn't aware that a message board was more than actually that - it's even a place where you not only can read what other people think, but also read how other people wind up their thoughts!

At my own discretion - I will avoid this as far as possible...

Michael, lucky to have found the "ignore" button

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2003, 07:28 PM

I ordered my eMac online, on September 15th. I received it on the 21st. Did I expect to get the upgrade? Not at all. I entered my serial number anyway because people reported that they were qualifying with order times as early as the 11th of September, and it gave me an error saying it couldn't find my serial. So I decided to call (again, thinking "what the hell, I've already got the phone support from buying my eMac, I may as well use it"). I asked very politely if I qualified for the OS X Up-To-Date program. The representative put me on hold for a couple minutes and then came back to tell me that yes, I do qualify.

I don't see how that is dishonest. Apple has a clearly written policy, but that doesn't mean I'm being dishonest by trying. I very clearly told them exactly what my situation was. I didn't beg, I didn't get angry, I just asked if I qualified for the upgrade because I saw a number of people in the discussion forums who had qualified despite early to mid September order dates. I would not have gotten angry if they said no.

I think Apple's written policy that they show the public is simply to prevent people from calling in the first place, but they're probably trying to gain back some of their reputation they lost with .mac and the stricter Jaguar upgrade policy by letting anyone who bought a Mac in the past month or so qualify for the program, provided they call in.

Even so, I might just buy the full install CDs anyway for $70 (educational) because they let you do a clean or archive install, instead of just an upgrade install. Either that or I'll figure out a way to modify the upgrade CDs to do a clean install. Upgrade install CDs aren't even worth the $20 they charge you, IMO.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 09:01 PM

In my opinion no you are not being dishonest if you call Apple and they say 'Yes' you do qualify. It is totally possible they have already changed the policy. My point was simply if you exploit the Apple site to qualify, that is dishonest. Everyone need to call if they feel they qualify. I will be buying my copy full price as I bought my PB used, but not until 10.3.1 is released.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 09:10 PM

So where can we get these bags of dicks?
I, ASIMO.

Tomster
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by CobraNT:
That is like getting a friends student card and buying it at EDU price, just wrong.
Alright. So how about having a friend who is eligible but not in the market use his one purchase per year then sell it to you? Is that still wrong?

As if any of this matters. Debating morality on the internet is as pointless as, well, debating morality on the internet. If one follows these boards, one will see a good amount of discussion on user experiences with Panther. Either a whole bunch of developers never bothered to read their NDA's or there is some "file sharing" going on.

Those who will buy Panther will do so. Those who will pirate it will do so. Those who will buy it at a discount will do so. Hurling insults at each other will not change anyone's mind.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 10:18 PM

Tomster, quiet. You are making too much sense.
I, ASIMO.

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 11:35 PM

I'll save money anywhere I can. I just gave Apple $70 for my .Mac renewal, $150+ for the AppleCare for my Power Mac, $2300+ for a new Powerbook, and now they would want me to pay $70 for Panther? Hell no...but I got my PB exchanged yesterday, so I qualify anyway.
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2003, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
So where can we get these bags of dicks?
You are the only one here with a sense of humor. Vmarks included.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2003, 12:43 AM

When I say there and their they sound the same. Sure it matters which one you use in writing, but it doesn't matter on a message board.
It always matters. You are "graded" by other people who read your message. They read it and don't take you as seriously as they would if you wrote correctly. You say you don't have time, but I see lots of posts from you here so clearly, you do have time. Sorry for the off-topic rant, but it bugs me too, that so many people don't write correctly and then make excuses when called on it. For instance, they say "I'm not being graded, so it doesn't matter."

Back to the topic now. Each time Apple announces an OS upgrade, the upgrade policy is different. If Apple would just be consistent, there would be a lot less complaining and more happy customers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules