Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sold 12" Powerbook going to 12" / 14" iBook (even have Powerbook's Slot load)

Sold 12" Powerbook going to 12" / 14" iBook (even have Powerbook's Slot load)
fener
Oct 22, 2003, 10:39 AM

I bought a 12" Powerbook SD on October 1st, and played with it for about 3 weeks now. After seeing the new iBooks, WOW! Specs are nearly the same! They even have the Slot Load drive, which used to be unique for the Powerbooks!

Apple ADMITS that they will be releasing a G5 Powerbook much much much earlier than thought. I am expecting a G5 powerbook in Spring.

janmc
Oct 22, 2003, 10:47 AM

where did they 'admit' that?

Ryan1524
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 10:49 AM

it's still speculation. but many thinks that with the iBooks going G4, the Pb will NEED a G5 to maintain superiority and not just a complex. although i think Apple has clearly drew the line that the iBooks, despite their G4, still ahs some disadvantages when compared to the PBs, even against the 12" PB, much less its big brothers. if you pay attention to how they put the 1 G G4 on the 14" model only and no BT (optional), less RAM max, less GPU, no SupDrive, etc... the PBs are clearly still superior. they look better too. and the 12" PB is definitely smaller than the 12" iB.
Ryan

Cop Rock
Oct 22, 2003, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by fener:
I bought a 12" Powerbook SD on October 1st, and played with it for about 3 weeks now. After seeing the new iBooks, WOW! Specs are nearly the same! They even have the Slot Load drive, which used to be unique for the Powerbooks!

Apple ADMITS that they will be releasing a G5 Powerbook much much much earlier than thought. I am expecting a G5 powerbook in Spring.
Major differences between the 12" PowerBook and the 12" iBook:

1GHz v. 800MHz
512K L2 cache v. 256K L2 cache
256MB memory and a slot v. 128MB memory and a slot
SuperDrive available v. Combo only
Bluetooth standard v. Bluetooth optional (maybe BTO only)
DVI out v. No DVI
Monitor spanning v. Mirror only
Max HD 80GB v. Max HD 60GB

Main similarities:

System bus
Airport Extreme
10/100 Ethernet
USB 2.0
FW 400

The 14" iBooks have larger screens and faster processors but they're at the same resolution as the 12" models.

I think the PowerBook still has some real advantages over the iBooks. That said, the new iBooks are an impressive update over the last revision (and I like the $200 drop in the 12" price.)

http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html
http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html

michael_on_mac
Oct 22, 2003, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by Cop Rock:

The 14" iBooks have larger screens and faster processors but they're at the same resolution as the 12" models.

I think the PowerBook still has some real advantages over the iBooks. That said, the new iBooks are an impressive update over the last revision (and I like the $200 drop in the 12" price.)

The specs are different - but the major difference, the processor type, has vanished. Things indeed get difficult now, at least for Apple Marketing Dept.

Looking at the specs, you immediately see how they needed to cripple down the ibook to keep the difference to the 12" PB.

Michael.
12" Al PB Rev. B, SD, 768 MB RAM, 80 GB disk, OS X 10.3.1. IBM TP A30p with Linux 2.4.20 for serious stuff ;-)

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2003, 12:22 PM

I doubt it. The PowerMac G4 and iMac G4 existed for a long time togther, and I have a feeling it will be that way with the Powerbooks now as well. Based on Jobs comments, I am estimating a G5 Powerbook December 2004, or even possibly MacWorld SF 2005.

And until then, I'll be enjoying my AlBook quite a bit.
<This space under renovation>

TypeMRT
Oct 22, 2003, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by Drakino:

I doubt it. The PowerMac G4 and iMac G4 existed for a long time togther, and I have a feeling it will be that way with the Powerbooks now as well. Based on Jobs comments, I am estimating a G5 Powerbook December 2004, or even possibly MacWorld SF 2005.

And until then, I'll be enjoying my AlBook quite a bit.
They may have existed together for a while but they were different: Expandibility, built-in display, and, most importantly, Dual-processors (on all but the lo-end Powermac).
With the iBook/PowerBook comparision the margin of difference is very narrow! Some people see the iBook, think "for only $200 more..." and choose PowerBook. Others do the opposite and choose to save $200 and go for the iBook. And at that price point $200 is a pretty big deal.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 10:48 PM

But overall... the 12inch Powerbook is still better spec wise than the new iBooks... why the down grade? And also, where did you get the information that Apple ADMIT that the Powerbook G5 will be out sooner than they thought? I go to about 10 Apple news/rumor sites a day, yet, I have not yet read anything that talks about what you've said. If they did, I would of know it already.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Scooterboy
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by fener:

Specs are not nearly the same:

iBook G4 only 256 KB level 2 cache (suggesting it is the older PowerBook's G4)
no Superdrive option
no supported monitor spanning
no 3 speaker system (same ol' cruddy speakers)

I wouldn't bother to down-grade unless you really need and can get the money from your PowerBook.

OTOH, I may upgrade from my Late 2001 iBook.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2003, 12:43 AM

i think they are going to have to release the new G5 powerbooks late summer. Because of the G4's clock speed limitations that means that Apple will only be able to refresh the powerbook line ONCE. And going from 1.25/1.33 to 1.33/1.4 is not going to be that much of an upgrade.

Unless they do something nutso like give us a dual g4-pbook, we are going to see the G5 'books fairly soon.

Just my opinion.

-geoff

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by Drakino:
I doubt it. The PowerMac G4 and iMac G4 existed for a long time togther, and I have a feeling it will be that way with the Powerbooks now as well.
Best argument so far for the repudiation of this current "G4 iBook = G5 Powerbook around the corner!" hysteria.
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

Forum Links
Forum Rules