Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > CHP Speeding ticket! DOH! Need advice!

CHP Speeding ticket! DOH! Need advice!
TeknoTurd
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2003, 09:25 PM

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of your have any experience with getting a speeding ticket from the Highway Patrol, specifically the California Highway Patrol. Here's a little background. I was doing 82 mph in my girlfriends fathers car and the lights came on behind me. I pulled over and explained to the officer that there was a guy who was tailgating me earlier and flashing his high beams at me. After trying to change lanes proved unsuccessful I decided to speed up a bit. The next thing I knew there were headlights really close to my back bumper and I thought the guy was back, so I accelerated and then it turns out it was a different car and it was the CHP officer. In the Bay Area here there have been a lot of road rage incidents lately and I thought I would get at least a little sympathy from the officer because my girlfriend was in the car and I didn't want to endanger her. So now I have a nice speeding ticket (82MPH) and am wondering what to do and what will happen. I admited I was speeding but these were abnormal circumstances. Should I go to court and ask for a reduction? Should I just suck it up and pay for it? What are your guys and gals opinions?

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2003, 09:30 PM

Suck it up and pay.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2003, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by TeknoTurd:
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of your have any experience with getting a speeding ticket from the Highway Patrol, specifically the California Highway Patrol. Here's a little background. I was doing 82 mph in my girlfriends fathers car and the lights came on behind me. I pulled over and explained to the officer that there was a guy who was tailgating me earlier and flashing his high beams at me. After trying to change lanes proved unsuccessful I decided to speed up a bit. The next thing I knew there were headlights really close to my back bumper and I thought the guy was back, so I accelerated and then it turns out it was a different car and it was the CHP officer. In the Bay Area here there have been a lot of road rage incidents lately and I thought I would get at least a little sympathy from the officer because my girlfriend was in the car and I didn't want to endanger her. So now I have a nice speeding ticket (82MPH) and am wondering what to do and what will happen. I admited I was speeding but these were abnormal circumstances. Should I go to court and ask for a reduction? Should I just suck it up and pay for it? What are your guys and gals opinions?
Look at it this way: in Virginia, you'd be facing reckless driving charges (80 mph+) and possibly a license suspension. In Northern Virginia, you might be looking at jail time.

I'd pay and be thankful that's all they're asking.

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2003, 09:38 PM

Throw it away, thats what I do.

hayesk
Nov 22, 2003, 10:25 PM

You could pull over for the cop, but you couldn't simply change lanes if a guy behind you was tailgaiting? Where did that guy go if you couldn't change lanes? Wouldn't the cop be bhind that guy?

Dude, you're guilty. Pay the ticket.

Cipher13
Nov 22, 2003, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
Dude, you're guilty. Pay the ticket.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2003, 10:49 PM

That's a nice excuse, I've decided to use it the next time, but hopefully there will be no next time.

Anyway if there's a notice to appear in court, then you HAVE TO do that. I'm not sure how contesting a ticket goes, cause mostly people do not contest and just pay it off. If you do know a lawyer, talk to them about it and find out what you could do if you decide to contest it, and then let us know.
I'm thinking about contesting a ticket I have to deal with.

The Ayatollah
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Tehran, reprocessing spent fuel rods for my nuclear weapons programme.
Nov 22, 2003, 10:57 PM

It'll sound like a lame excuse to the judge, even if it is true. Speeding up shouldn't have been your response. Get in the far right lane and slow down to let the loonies pass you, or get alongside and brandish your .40 cal Gloc, and yell, 'BACK OFF! BACK OFF MUTHA OR I'LL BLAST YO PUNK ASS!' At least that's what you Yanks say, right?

Life in a theocracy is all good for nobody.
My mullahs, we da last ones left.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2003, 11:15 PM

You deserved it...
to your local Police dept: checks is the mail.

Cipher13
Nov 22, 2003, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
That's a nice excuse, I've decided to use it the next time, but hopefully there will be no next time.

Anyway if there's a notice to appear in court, then you HAVE TO do that. I'm not sure how contesting a ticket goes, cause mostly people do not contest and just pay it off. If you do know a lawyer, talk to them about it and find out what you could do if you decide to contest it, and then let us know.
I'm thinking about contesting a ticket I have to deal with.
It's a shame people can't even see when they get what they deserve.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Nov 22, 2003, 11:24 PM

IF YOUR IN MEXICO THEY CAN'T GET YOU. I HEAR ITS NICE THERE.

I was being followed by Michael Jackson! YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN DOING AT LEAST 100MPH THEN!

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2003, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
It's a shame people can't even see when they get what they deserve.
Unfortunately not everyone gets what they deserve, or I'm sure someone's shoe would be right up your backside.

Cipher13
Nov 22, 2003, 11:29 PM

Unfortunately not everyone gets what they deserve, or I'm sure someone's shoe would be right up your backside.
You're the one with the speeding ticket, not me

Talk it up, buddy. I wonder if you'd speak the same way to somebody in person...

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2003, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
You're the one with the speeding ticket, not me

Talk it up, buddy. I wonder if you'd speak the same way to somebody in person...
If called for, I will say what is required, no matter where/when, unlike some people.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2003, 11:48 PM

Here in Florida 82 is speeding but you can simply go to a driving class (if you have no other tickets) and get it removed from your record.

The speed limit here is 70.

All I can say is pay it and stop speeding. If someone is truly tailgating you then pull off or pull over and/or call the cops - 911 - and tell them someone is harassing you.

Or, do what crazyjohnson would do and slam on the brakes --->

Cipher13
Nov 23, 2003, 12:33 AM

If called for, I will say what is required, no matter where/when, unlike some people.
Unlike some people? Are you suggesting that I don't say what I think?

TeknoTurd  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2003, 12:35 AM

OK guys, thanks for all the responses. I have a few more questions for ya though. In California can I go to traffic school to remove this from my record? I was doing 82mph in a 65mph zone, which is 17mph over the limit. My last ticket was in January 2002, so its been more than a year since my last ticket. Also if I can't get out of it, or do traffic school to remove it from my record, who's insurance will it go on? Mine or the insurance of the owner of the car? I don't see why it wouldn't go on mine. But I figured I'd ask.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2003, 09:49 AM

who's insurance will it go on? Mine or the insurance of the owner of the car? I don't see why it wouldn't go on mine. But I figured I'd ask.
Are you kidding? It goes on YOUR insurance. In case you didn't know it, insurance companies check your DMV record at regular intervals to see if you've received any moving violations.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2003, 10:09 AM

How's about saying the following to the judge?

"Speed limits assume that everyone has equal car control skills. This assumption of skill equality is anti-American and invites communist thinking. Therefore I declare it unconstitutional that I be forced to adhere to speed limits which are not personally tailored to my own individual driving skills. If you don't agree I'll see you in the Supreme Court".

TeknoTurd  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2003, 01:09 PM

hahahaha clever, unfortunatley I don't have the time or money to waste in court.

macroy
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 01:34 PM

Here in MD, going to court costs no money (or at least very little $15?). In my only experience, and most I've heard from others. You'll always get something in return. Even if you plead guilty (with a reason)- either the points taken off, a reduced fine, or maybe even both.

Going to court is your right. So if there's a chance I can benefit from it, I'd do it. Traffic court usually doesn't take that long. Oh, and if the officer that gave you the ticket doesn't show up, you're off the hook.. period.

Again, this is in MD...

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2003, 01:47 PM

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2003, 02:04 PM

from what I know, (could be wrong, but this is what i've heard,) speeding tickets are moving violations, which result in points off your licence. if this is true, your best course of action is to, in court, try and get them to reduce it to a non-moving violation (broken taillight or something,) which means you still have to pay, but the long-term repercussions are less severe, and your insurance goes up less.

2 points off of your licence in a year means possible suspension. I would watch it. talk to your lawyer.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 02:21 PM

What a great theme. That's John Faddis on lead trumpet, if I remember right.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2003, 08:05 PM

ALWAYS go to court... I've been for all 18 (yep) speeding tickets and almost without exception at the very least save some money. You'll pay court costs, 60 bucks or so, but those combined with the fine are still often less than the amount of the fine if you mail it in. Plead GUILTY, not No Contest, and they'll ask you if you have anything to say. Thats the part where you let loose with your sob story. Dont hold out much hope that you'll get it tossed or anything like that tho.

See traffic court is usually EARLY in the morning and generally the same venue that they arraign all the jackasses who beat their wives and got hauled in the night before, along with drunks and such. So show up on time, DRESS UP and be polite and respectful. next to the morons in the previous nights clothing and fools who they have to tell to take their hats off you'll look like model citizen.

Oh, and the deal about the cop not showing up...that only works AFTER you plead Not Guilty and they set a trial date. Trust me, it's pretty rare that a cop doesnt show. It's not a recreational thing for them, thats part of what they're paid for, going to court. So it'd kinda be like you just deciding to blow off a really important meeting at YOUR job.

macroy
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by CMYKid:

Oh, and the deal about the cop not showing up...that only works AFTER you plead Not Guilty and they set a trial date. Trust me, it's pretty rare that a cop doesnt show. It's not a recreational thing for them, thats part of what they're paid for, going to court. So it'd kinda be like you just deciding to blow off a really important meeting at YOUR job.
The time I decided to goto court, I simply checked the box on the ticket and sent it in (no plead), then pleaded when I actually showed up. Not sure if times have changed, or maybe its just different between jurisdictions. I did hear the neighboring jurisdiction makes you plead first. But either way, wouldn't you still get off if the officer don't show? Doesn't both sides have to be there? (right to face your accuser and all that..??)

The thing about officers showing up in court, they have no control on when the court date is. So sometimes other pressing matters get in the way, or sometimes they're off on vacation. Again, I've only been to court once, and two officer didn't show. Its not something I would count on, but it happens.

TeknoTurd  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2003, 01:29 AM

Does anyone have any idea about how much the initial fine I should be facing will be? It was a ticket for 17mph over the speed limit, 82 in a 65. I'm thinking $100? Is this being optomistic?

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 25, 2003, 01:44 AM

Does anyone have any idea about how much the initial fine I should be facing will be? It was a ticket for 17mph over the speed limit, 82 in a 65. I'm thinking $100? Is this being optomistic?
Here in MN, that sounds reasonable. I think my first ticket cost $65 or so. But the officer took it down to 9 miles over instead of 16 or 17 (don't remember how fast exactly). Less than 10 doesn't go on your record, apparently.

I don't remember all that much about it. I got several tickets my first couple years of driving. I never went to court. I just paid the fee and moved on. I haven't gotten a ticket since I started college though. I just keep it under 10 over and they don't stop me.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2003, 04:42 PM

The thing about officers showing up in court, they have no control on when the court date is. So sometimes other pressing matters get in the way, or sometimes they're off on vacation.
No.

Cops have specific court days. When you plead not guilty and your case is set for trial they obviously look at who the witness will be. The trial is then set for a day when that officer is available and they are sent a notification that their appearance is required. YOU dont get to pick the day. On many paper tickets there is an actual spot for the issuing officer to write what days are his duty days and which day is his court day.

Turias
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Here in MN, that sounds reasonable. I think my first ticket cost $65 or so. But the officer took it down to 9 miles over instead of 16 or 17 (don't remember how fast exactly). Less than 10 doesn't go on your record, apparently.

I don't remember all that much about it. I got several tickets my first couple years of driving. I never went to court. I just paid the fee and moved on. I haven't gotten a ticket since I started college though. I just keep it under 10 over and they don't stop me.
Pretty much the same thing happened to me. I was going 72 in a 55, and when asked how fast I thought I was going, I said 68. (I thought I was in a 65 zone... ) So, the officer gave me a ticket for going 68 in a 55. I then appeared in court on my court date, and asked them to lower it so that it wouldn't appear on my record. They did just that. I still had to pay 60 or 70 dollars, but that's better than having your insurance costs go up...

So, if I were you, I would just pay it and find out what you have to do in CA to get it off of your record.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 25, 2003, 05:16 PM

Oh, and if you go fast enough and don't let them catch up to you, they get really pissed but can't get you on anything. I was going 90-95 in a 55 once (late at night on a country road), and the cop was behind me. He was so far behind me he didn't get a lock but he knew I was going fast 'cause he was gaining on me, but at 100 MPH he wasn't gaining as fast as he should have. By the time I hit the stop sign he caught up, followed me for a while at speed limit, pulled me over, and asked how fast I was going. I said 60 maybe 65. He didn't believe me and tried to get me to admit faster. He ended up giving me a breathalyzer and letting me go 'cause he couldn't nail me for faster. If I were him I'd have gotten me for the 65 since I admitted it. At least that's something.

macroy
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by CMYKid:
No.

Cops have specific court days. When you plead not guilty and your case is set for trial they obviously look at who the witness will be. The trial is then set for a day when that officer is available and they are sent a notification that their appearance is required. YOU dont get to pick the day. On many paper tickets there is an actual spot for the issuing officer to write what days are his duty days and which day is his court day.

I don't believe I ever said that YOU get to pick the day. The court sets the date and its not (at least not in the jurisdiction I live in) scheduled around the officer's time either (otherwise, no officer would ever have to go to court on their off day). Again, this is where I live.

Forum Links
Forum Rules