Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > DVD+R support?

DVD+R support?
mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2004, 05:58 AM

Rather na�vely I bought my 12" RevB PB with Superdrive assuming that any blank write-only DVD media would work fine. I went out and bought a box full of blank DVD+Rs, only to learn now that these aren't the same as DVD-Rs and that the Superdrive will only write to the latter.

Is this true? Are there firmware hacks around this, or have I invested in ten costly coasters?

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2004, 06:55 AM

not really. DVD-R and +RW are totally different standards. if you had a DVD-Multi drive that supported +RW, then it would work, but macs don't come with those. That and matsushita (the company that makes the dvd-r drives in the powerbooks) is extremely hostile towards the +RW standard, and with good reason.

DVD-R is more compatible anyway.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

mintcake  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2004, 07:42 AM

I'm talking about DVD+R, not DVD+RW (I assume they're not the same thing?). I only realised there was a difference when I read the latest issue of MacFormat which reviews a dual-format Plextor DVD writer. According to the review (and to other sites I've looked at since) DVD+R is the more widely recognised and the more compatible format. Which sucks.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2004, 10:46 AM

+R is a derivitive of the +RW standard (it's called the +RW consortium or something like that. a group of companies that make +R/+RW stuff. they're not actually part of the DVD forum, so they can't call it "DVD+RW")

+RW is more widely accepted on the windows side (don't know why, it just is,) but DVD-R is the actual format supported by the DVD Forum (the companies that came up with the DVD standard)

As far as I know, DVD-R is more likely to be compatible with old players, as well as other DVD drives. +RW is less likely to be, though newer drives can read basically anything.

edit:
comparison of features

from the site, DVD-R is compatible with more, while +RW has more "features" (not that it matters after its burned.)
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

mintcake  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2004, 12:50 PM

Thanks a lot Albert, that's really helpful. I'd trust a regular here over a Future publication any day...

I'll just have to offload those DVD+R discs on someone else...

popstand
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2004, 01:32 AM

FYI, if you are looking for good deals on bulk DVD-Rs check out Shop4Tech.com. I just bought a hundred 2x DVD-Rs for 60 bucks (free shipping included). Yes you will get several duds in the bunch, but not too many and it's way cheaper than buying from "name" companies like Apple or Verbatim who charge exorbitant prices.

Forum Links
Forum Rules