Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Dock gone bad- Panther install

Dock gone bad- Panther install
spiznet
Jan 6, 2004, 05:33 PM

Hi-

I installed Panther and my dock appears at the bottom of the screen and blinks up and down.

I installed all updates and repaired permissions.

It is ok when machine starts up, only goes bad once i get to my account desktop.

I removed ...dock.plist as suggested in an earlier post, which reset the dock to the default, but now the default dock is hiding/blinking at the bottom of the screen.

One clue may be that the dock controls in Sys Prefs and on the Pulldown menu have no effect.

Thanks in advance if this sounds familiar!

-Mark Scott
Director of Technology
J/B Woolsey Associates

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2004, 06:45 PM

Perhaps this extract from MacFixIt will help:

"...My way around it was to create a new user and delete the old user. I am the only user so, of course, I had to make certain that I gave the new user permission to administer the account. I had backed up my User Home/Library prior to installing 10.3, so I was able to just replace the library in the new User/Home. That kept everything the way I had it set up and I knew there were no corrupt or conflicting files in it."

See http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/sh...rue#Post569200
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

spiznet  (op)
Jan 7, 2004, 11:16 AM

Actually I found thsat thread, the answer is one of the last posts:

Skylaw
Re: 10.3.2 and Dock [re: ML Zurich]
12/28/03 09:12 AM
I just did an archive and install of 10.3 (Panther) and lost my dock. In addition, I was unable to retain any dock preference changes that I made; the changes did not take. I had followed MacFixit's install advice carefully; checked HD and repaired preferences on 10.2.8 before the install, and after the 10.3.0 install, and again after the 10.3.2 update. But, I had no dock after the 10.3.0 install or the 10.3.2 update. Deleted dock-related .plist files after each install, no result. Then I recalled I had ASM (Application Switcher Menu) installed. Did a search and deleted all ASM files. After restart, my dock returned. As a precaution, I then also removed all other 3rd party software that installs a preference pane; updated it (including ASM) and reinstalled after completing the 10.3.2 update. After updating and reinstalling the 3rd party software, all now function with 10.3.2, including ASM, Tinker Tool, Menu Meters, Silk, and Microsoft Mouse 5 (for which v. 3 also functions in another 10.3.2 installation). As alluded to in the preceding strings, if you lose your dock after installing 10.3, consider that the dock is an application launcher and switcher; look for outdated or possibly conflicting 3rd party software that either modifies the dock itself, or otherwise functions as an app launcher or switcher. That may be the problem.

I got rid of the 3rd party dock/menu software and it works fine.

Thanks for reply!

-Mark

Forum Links
Forum Rules