Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > files icons/lists not updating after move

files icons/lists not updating after move
spiznet
Jan 12, 2004, 05:55 PM

Does it bother anyone that the rock-solid file system that existed under OS9 (sign of cross) and previous Mac OSes has been replaced by a fairly casual version of file/folder updating.

EXAMPLE:
When I look at the contents a folder after I copy a file to it, if I don't see the file there, I just close the folder, open it again, and voila, the file is there. 2 years ago I would have been frantic. Now it is normal.

This kind of lax "file WYSIWIG" never happened under previous OSes, and I am thinking it is just a "feature" of the UNIX style of OS.

Is this fair to say? Is there a bug to be fixed? Does Windows have these folder/file updating quirks?

This has happened thru Jaguar and now Panther. It doesn't seem to be getting better.

In other words, is the file system actually less robust or just the UI into the file system???

-Mark Scott
J/B Woolsey Associates

spiznet  (op)
Jan 13, 2004, 11:00 AM

Was my post clear? Perhaps not.

I am saying that, if I move files to a folder, I do not always see them appear in that folder until I close the folder, then open it again.

Also, perhaps UNIX-related as well:

when you open a folder in OSX it says it contains 0 items momentarily, and eventually the icons for and the correct number of items appear. For that first fraction of a second this can be very disconcerting...

Forum Links
Forum Rules