Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can Virtual PC recognizes built-in bluetooth/WiFi?

Can Virtual PC recognizes built-in bluetooth/WiFi?
magicbbird
Apr 7, 2004, 12:46 AM

Hello all,
Just got my PB12" a couple weeks ago, I am very happy with it so far.

I am wondering if I install VPC, will Windoz recognizes I have bluetooth and WiFi built in? Or I still need to install drivers for it to work?

I want to use my PB with bluetooth GPS as navigation system. I have searched various forums and see there is not many alternatives (besides Route 66) for us Mac users. I have one bluetooth GPS coming and have couple PC map software. I wonder if I can use VPC, PC map software and bluetooth GPS and have satisfactory result.

Thanks for your insight.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 7, 2004, 03:00 AM

VPC shares your Mac's network connection, whatever it may be. So if you have AirPort in the PowerBook, then Windows will just think it has an ethernet connection.

As for Bluetooth... I honestly have no clue. I have VPC, but I don't have any Bluetooth devices to play with.

tooki

magicbbird  (op)
Apr 7, 2004, 01:42 PM

Thanks for your input.

I don't want to buy and install VPC before hearing more opinions and experience from current users. I rather NOT using VPC at all, unless it becomes a necessary "evil"

I think Airport might be a bit easier because Windoz has drivers built in. But not bluetooth (as far as I understand it). Therefore I am not certain if it can detect bluetooth all by itself.

Thanks again.

Leo the 3rd
Apr 7, 2004, 02:17 PM

If you're trying to use Netstumbler on VPC, then check out Macstumbler (you can find it free on www.versiontracker.com/macosx )

I haven't used it personally, but it's rate highly.

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2004, 03:02 PM

Virtual PC on Mac OS X 10.3.3

Ethernet - check
Airport (Wifi) - check
USB devices (if you had a USB based bluetooth module maybe) - check, although haven't tested bluetooth module specifically
Built-in Bluetooth (PowerBook G4) - nada

Note: although you can establish a network connection on the Mac with bluetooth or built-in modem, VPC will not see this network connection. It only sees the network connection if it is via ethernet or airport. Any modem connection would have to be started in VPC under Windows for it to see it.

magicbbird  (op)
Apr 7, 2004, 03:39 PM

Maybe when using VPC I need to use an external bluetooth dongle. As far as I understand it, if Windoz does not come with bluetooth drivers, it relies on 3rd party installation.

Thanks very much for your help. I just don't want to go thru the installation of VPC and find it out...

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2004, 08:26 PM

I'm using 10.3.x with a 17" Rev A PB and Virtual PC and can easily access ethernet & airport connectivity through the PB. I also have a Microsoft BT mouse and have no problems using the mouse in Virtual PC. Perhaps there are issues with BT connectivity devices (cell phones, etc.), but the mouse works for sure.

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2004, 09:00 PM

You are correct in that a bluetooth mouse works fine in VPC (I'm using the Apple BT mouse myself). I was referring to using Bluetooth connectivity such as synching to a phone or using a phone for Bluetooth dialup or GPRS. These only work with a USB bluetooth module and drivers in VPC (supposedly, I haven't tried it). These things don't work with the built-in Bluetooth.

Originally posted by danbrew:
I'm using 10.3.x with a 17" Rev A PB and Virtual PC and can easily access ethernet & airport connectivity through the PB. I also have a Microsoft BT mouse and have no problems using the mouse in Virtual PC. Perhaps there are issues with BT connectivity devices (cell phones, etc.), but the mouse works for sure.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2004, 09:10 PM

however, you could most likely route the bluetooth to a VPC serial port and talk to the GPS that way.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

magicbbird  (op)
Apr 7, 2004, 10:32 PM

Thanks for all the comments.

I wonder how you do it: meaning telling VPC to use the built-in bluetooth. If within VPC the built-in bluetooth can be detected and used, it saves on having another external bluetooth dongle occupying a USB port.

How do you guys telling VPC to use the built-in bluetooth to connect mouse or other things?

Thanks.

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2004, 12:38 PM

There is nothing to do for the mouse. VPC automatically used whatever mouse or trackpad you are using on the Mac. That's why Bluetooth for the mouse works, it doesn't really know whether it's Bluetooth or something else.

Network connections are different. VPC recognizes the built-in ethernet and airport connections. It doesn't recognize an ongoing connection with either a Bluetooth phone as a modem or the built-in modem. You can use the built-in modem for a network connection but only if you initiate the network connection via Windows in VPC. In theory you can do the same with Bluetooth, but VPC doesn't see the built-in Bluetooth module. In theory it should be able to see a USB based Bluetooth module and use it (if you have the right drivers) but I haven't personally tried this.

magicbbird  (op)
Apr 8, 2004, 02:56 PM

That's what I suspect.

Thanks again.

Juggler
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2004, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by AlbertWu:
however, you could most likely route the bluetooth to a VPC serial port and talk to the GPS that way.
Is this really possible? Has anybody tried something like this?

I am considering buying VirtualPC in order to access my Siemens S55 cellphone via BT using the Siemens Data Suite, which only runs on windoze.

Forum Links
Forum Rules