Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 17" Powerbook loses Airport function..!

New 17" Powerbook loses Airport function..!
daiSho
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2004, 01:51 PM

hi all... ok, i'm having a problem w/ my beloved new 17" Powerbook already; everytime the unit is put to sleep and brought back awake the Airport seems to die altogether... it cannot see any live wi-fi networks and has to be totally shut down and powered back up to regain Airport functionality. it also does this on occasions just out of the blue while your working on it, not even put to sleep. i have all the current Airport-related updates installed, does anyone know what might be wrong w/ my machine, is this a known issue? My 12" rev.C has never had this problem before..

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2004, 02:10 PM

If you have 3.4 installed for Airport, there's been known issues with it. I had a similar problem recently with my G4 iBook. Search the threads for AirPort, revert and you'll find how to revert back to 3.3, Once I did that, the problem disappeared.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

cougar337
Aug 27, 2004, 01:45 PM

how do you revert back to 3.3? where do I find the software?

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by daiSho:
hi all... ok, i'm having a problem w/ my beloved new 17" Powerbook already; everytime the unit is put to sleep and brought back awake the Airport seems to die altogether... it cannot see any live wi-fi networks and has to be totally shut down and powered back up to regain Airport functionality. it also does this on occasions just out of the blue while your working on it, not even put to sleep. i have all the current Airport-related updates installed, does anyone know what might be wrong w/ my machine, is this a known issue? My 12" rev.C has never had this problem before..
This issue has come up more often since the 10.3.5 update. I have never had a lost signal in my iMac G4 in the 2 years I have owned it until the update. Now at times when I wake up the computer it will have no airport and I have to restart the computer to get a connection.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Tomster
Senior User
Aug 27, 2004, 04:40 PM

I have found that turning the Airport off and on will also work. Note the network must be manually selected after that.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Forum Links
Forum Rules