Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Monitor for Mac Pro?

Monitor for Mac Pro?
The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2006, 02:56 PM

I didn't see the new monitors I was hoping for (Apple probably wants to clear out the old ones with the first-generation Mac Pros), So what other monitors do you folks recommend?
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2006, 03:30 PM

Dell for 20/24" HD, Apple for 30" (now $200 cheaper than Dell).

The Ancient One  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
If I get an Apple 20/23" the 3-year warranty on the Mac Pro will apply to it. Do you know how much extra 3-year warranties on the Dells are? Also, how do the Dells stack up quality-wise?
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Ancient One
If I get an Apple 20/23" the 3-year warranty on the Mac Pro will apply to it. Do you know how much extra 3-year warranties on the Dells are? Also, how do the Dells stack up quality-wise?
Dell includes a 3 year warranty with every display; 4 and 5 year warranties are available for a few bucks ($25/year IIRC).

The zealots on both sides will claim quality superiority. They're both using the same panels; see the Anandtech comparison of 20" LCDs.

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2006, 05:13 PM

The same stuff but cheaper.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2006, 01:54 AM

Be aware that the Dell 2007WFP uses 6-bit internal circuitry, not 8-bit, resulting in some nasty color-banding when displaying certain gradients. I think there's supposed to be a second revision of the 2007's that use an 8-bit system.

The AnandTech article above (a very reputable site, BTW) reviews a Dell 2005, not a 2007 as are currently being sold.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 8, 2006, 12:05 PM

Dell includes a 3 year warranty with every display; 4 and 5 year warranties are available for a few bucks ($25/year IIRC).
Actually it's about $13/yr. I paid $26 extra to upgrade my 2405FPW to 5 years warranty.

tooki

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Actually it's about $13/yr. I paid $26 extra to upgrade my 2405FPW to 5 years warranty.

tooki
Either you caught a promo or the price has gone up... sbiz and home stores both have the following prices (from 3 yr)
2007FPW: $29 to 4yr, $49 to 5yr
2407FPW: $29 to 4yr, $49 to 5yr
3007FPW: $49 to 4yr, $79 to 5yr

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 10, 2006, 10:29 AM

Hm. I got mine on sale. I'm surprised the warranty was discounted, too, but I guess it was!!

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 10, 2006, 11:03 AM

Dell's good about "value pricing" in packages-it's not too surprising that they discounted the warranty. They may actually base the warranty price directly on the purchase price.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Aug 16, 2006, 08:44 PM

OK, I am hoping someone can suggest a good alternative to the Dell 20" and ACD.

Call me superficial, but that DELL logo just makes me nuts.

Samsung, ViewSonic, anything?

T

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by :dragonflypro:
OK, I am hoping someone can suggest a good alternative to the Dell 20" and ACD.

Call me superficial, but that DELL logo just makes me nuts.

Samsung, ViewSonic, anything?

T
Apple 20"?

And your NOT superficial. I wouldn't buy a Dell either, no matter how good they are.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 16, 2006, 10:00 PM

That sounds pretty harsh, Lenoard. Especially since there are very few companies that actually build flat panel monitors (and neither Dell nor Apple are in that group). It's just rebadging and the outter case; you want to pay how much extra for a different label?

jebjeb
Senior User
Aug 17, 2006, 03:52 AM

Formac Raven (or their new Gallery) 2010 20" 4:3 LCD. I have a Raven and it is fantastic. I really wanted the extra vertical res over a 20" widescreen but didn't want to stretch to a 23/24" at the time.

It may not be as fashionable to have a non-widescreen display, but I find the limiting vertical res in the 20" widescreens to be too much of an issue.

Plus a 4:3 display gives you more total pixels (1,920,000 for 4:3 v 1,764,000 for 16:10) plus they are cheaper!

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2006, 12:52 PM

Anyone tried Lacie's flat panels?
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
That sounds pretty harsh, Lenoard. Especially since there are very few companies that actually build flat panel monitors (and neither Dell nor Apple are in that group). It's just rebadging and the outter case; you want to pay how much extra for a different label?
After using and hearing fellow users at work who use Dell computers all day and complaining what a piece of junk they are, I don't think it's harsh. Especially when you get these computers replace by your desktop support area because their not working every few months (had 3 of them crash in one day, once).

And it's not like the price difference is all that much, and besides they're always leapfrogging each other in price, anyways. Ex. Apple's 30" LCD is now $200 lower than Dell's. In a couple months Dell will change their price. Too bad Samsung doesn't have a 30" display, they made nice CRTs (I have one at home).
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 17, 2006, 05:43 PM

I don't know about your computer support people, nor where you work, but at my last job we had tons of Dells and almost no problems. Of course all of our computers were locked down pretty tight-in my experience most (Windows) computer problems come from users who think they know what they're doing when they "just tweak this one setting and watch what I can do!"

And Samsung is one of the major suppliers of LCDs for Dell-and maybe Apple too. I don't worry about exterior styling as much as performance anyway. If the specs and the price are good, I'll go for it. Of course I'm ready to be a real PITA if I have problems with a new product, so being a squeaky wheel I expect to get properly attended to.

dimitrir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 06:52 PM

Not any more - Dell 30" is $1899 now.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2006, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
And Samsung is one of the major suppliers of LCDs for Dell-and maybe Apple too.
FYI last year both Apple and Dell were using the LG.Philips LM201W01 LCD panel for their twenties. Apple had revsion A5 K1 and Dell had revision B5.
That may or may not have changed when both updated their displays this year.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 18, 2006, 08:06 AM

A lot of the smaller ones Dell sells (two 17" LCDs I own) are rebadged Samsungs. I haven't spent much time looking at 20" displays because they're kind of inbetween being noticably bigger than what I have and the REALLY big ones I want. LG/Phillips makes great panels, by the way. But I haven't seen a 20" or 20+" display that was definitively a Samsung-it may be that it's simply a hole in their product line.

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2006, 09:35 AM

Hardforum is very active regarding displays and has links to a lot of good info. This sticky is particularly useful.

I'll post more about some of my experiences later. Suffice to say I am leaning towards a 20" IPS heavily.
To be determined later.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2006, 10:57 AM

If only Philips computer displays were as good looking as their TV counterparts…

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb
If only Philips computer displays were as good looking as their TV counterparts…
Yeah, they definitely appear ugly.
To be determined later.

cyrana
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 01:06 PM

I wish Phillips looked good. Good to know I'm not the only one dying for a new S-IPS display (over 20"...but that 30" is way too big).

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2006, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard
I wouldn't buy a Dell either, no matter how good they are.
I'm not opposed to Dell. If the screen is good, why not give it a go? Let Dell give you a deal on a good screen. If Apple hears enough stories about Mac users using Dell monitors they'll be forced to address it somehow (either by making their own screens more reasonably priced or by making their own screens pwn).

My main concerns with Dell:
1) I'd have to buy online and pay shipping. I don't mind paying shipping; if I went to a store I'd have to pay sales tax and it about evens out. But the main issue is what happens if I find it unacceptable? What if I have dead pixels? In the case of a store, I could go back the same day and exchange it; little downtime for me. With Dell would I have to pay shipping costs back to them? If I wanted to replace it altogether do I get a restocking fee applied? It's more of a hassle and it puts me out of commission while I wait.
2) The panels Dell uses seem to change depending on what they can acquire them for. I've read some forum users say they received their Dell monitors with IPS panels and others saying the same model monitor they purchased had a PVA panel. I would want an IPS panel but there seems to be no guarantee since Dell apparently shops around for whoever will give them a better deal with near equivalent specs.
3) I have heard of some issues on a few of their screens. Color banding affected a batch of some of them. While production issues affect all companies, I've heard Dell's fix was to turn off their overdrive feature. Seems like a poor fix to me.
To be determined later.

Forum Links
Forum Rules