Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Core 2 Duo and 4.0 GB RAM? What is the real limit?

MacBook Core 2 Duo and 4.0 GB RAM? What is the real limit?
Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2007, 03:15 AM

I know the November "Late 2007" MacBooks can address 4.0 gb of RAM, but I'm a bit confused by what I see on my Core 2 Duo MacBook (RM7131xxxxxx). I installed a pair of 2.0 gb techworks SODIMMS and now both System Info and Activity Monitor indicate 4.0 of RAM instead of the expected 3.0.

Oh... maybe this is is a Leopard effect! So, I booted into Tiger and it also reports 4.0 gb of RAM.

Was the 3.0 GB limit only for the pre Core 2 Duo machines or is the system merely reporting more RAM than it can actually address?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2007, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Guy Kuo View Post
Was the 3.0 GB limit only for the pre Core 2 Duo machines or is the system merely reporting more RAM than it can actually address?
The only MB that can address 4 GB is the latest one. Your previous generation C2D MB is showing 4 GB because that is what is installed. However, if you actually go and launch apps and observe the RAM being gobbled up, you will notice your MB can only address 3 GB.

Guy Kuo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2007, 06:01 AM

It is a bit unnerving to see the system report more RAM than you know it can actually address. If it reported 3 gb, I'd be more reassured that the system wasn't going to try overwriting memory blocks when the threshold was crossed.

Okay.... it seems to work. I just fired up four instances of my own CT reconstruction program, each instance of which use just over 800 MB of RAM. Add to that, Photoshop and a couple other applications and Activity Monitory shows

Free: 15.96 MB
Wired: 388.23 MB
Active: 17.3 MB
Inactive: 889.40 MB
Used: 2.98 GB

Go ahead in put those pairs of 2 gigs in. It does speed up memory intensive situations and the system actually knows to limit itself to 3 gb even if it reports that 4 GB are installed.
( Last edited by Guy Kuo; Nov 11, 2007 at 06:22 AM. )

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2007, 09:51 AM

Like you said, the late 2007 MacBooks will use all 4gb of memory.

Does anyone know what the cause of the previous model only being able to address 3gb is? A friend asked and I was unable to answer.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2007, 10:20 AM

The Activity Monitor erroneously reports 4GB under the pie chart; if you look at the pie chart, it's only representing 3GB (note a 1GB catagory will take up about a third of the chart rather than a fourth).

The 4GB limitation is an addressing limitation of the chipset; the chipset only supports 32-bit addressing, but the upper few bits have historically been used for PCI addressing space (and a few other things) leaving you with only ~3.1GB to use (which Apple trims to an even 3GB).

Forum Links
Forum Rules