Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Webcam on Macbook

Webcam on Macbook
onlyproductions
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2007, 07:01 PM

Hey, I have a friend who was hurt, and he wants to "be" in school while he's still in teh hospital, so i need a good quality webcam so that he could see the white board, also can u install external cams to a macbook?
( Last edited by onlyproductions; Oct 29, 2007 at 07:09 PM. Reason: reconsiderd)

onlyproductions  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2007, 09:05 PM

bump

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Oct 30, 2007, 01:13 AM

You can use an external webcam that's Mac-compatible. I take it that you can't use the built-in iSight because you want to use your MacBook while streaming the video...correct?

BTW--it was only two hours, no need to bump so quickly.

onlyproductions  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 09:07 AM

no, I need a good quality cam which can show my friend a clear picture, is there any cam like that, which is "mac compatable"

Cold Warrior
Oct 30, 2007, 10:21 AM

the macbook's built-in cam is very good. It really depends on your bandwidth. If you're on a LAN or a good broadband line, your image should be very good. I use it all the time on iChat between my macbook pro and a first-gen iBook on the other end.

A firewire 800 1020p HD webcam isn't going to be of any use on a slow pipe on either end, or if your school's upload speed isn't very good.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 12:16 PM

Unless he aims his MacBook at the blackboard the internal one is going to be a little pointless.
You could try the external iSight; which you'll probably have to get off eBay since, I don't think, Apple sells them anymore.
I've put my iSight on backwards and people have watched TV over iChat.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2007, 12:20 PM

AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2007, 04:21 PM

If he's the one using the Macbook in the hospital, don't you need a webcam that's compatible with the teacher's computer?

Or is the teacher using the MacBook?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

onlyproductions  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
If he's the one using the Macbook in the hospital, don't you need a webcam that's compatible with the teacher's computer?

Or is the teacher using the MacBook?
i only need one webcam thats compatiable with my macbook.

Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2007, 07:56 PM

I think I can clarify. The OP wants to have an external webcam that he can hook up to his own computer while in class so he can stream the video to his friend. He can't use the built in iSight, because then his macBook would have to be facing away from him, making it useless.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2007, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
I think I can clarify. The OP wants to have an external webcam that he can hook up to his own computer while in class so he can stream the video to his friend. He can't use the built in iSight, because then his macBook would have to be facing away from him, making it useless.
He can using the webcam mirror linked to above.

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2007, 02:56 PM

The Logitech Webcam Pro for notebooks is a signficant step up in image quality over the built-in MacBook camera. It produces considerably sharper and better exposed images over wider varying lighting conditions. It's the newer with with the glass Zeiss lens. It works with iChat.

I was happy with the built-in camera until after seeing output from a webcam pro. NB. Had to return the 1st one because it had a misaligned lens which kept one side of the image out of focus. The 2nd one is perfect.

MacPhly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2007, 07:32 PM

Guy: I checked at the Logitech website on the Quickcam with Carl Zeiss lens that you mentioned, but the specs only stated Windows as the requirement and did not include the Mac. Can you provide a link to the actual Logitech model that you managed to use with iChat? What Mac computer did you use the webcam on, and what driver or software did you use since Logitech does not provide any Mac software? I am searching for a webcam with superior lens for the Macbook AND my Windows laptop, and the Logitech webcam you described interests me. Thanks for any info you can offer.

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2007, 11:11 PM

Logitech very thoughtfully doesn't put the model number anywhere on the camera, but it is this one

Amazon.com: Logitech QuickCam Pro for Notebooks: Electronics

the model 960-000045

You don't need an additional driver for use under the latest Tiger or Leopard OSX because Apple now includes support for this class of video devices. Sorry, I don't recall the exact technical term for the USB device class.

At any rate, I've used with my MacBook. Just plug it in and select the device under video settings.

guykuo/Logitech vs MacBook Camera - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

has images you can compare. One was taken with the MacBook camera. The other with the Logitech Webcam Pro for Notebooks (Zeiss lens, 2 megapixel unit). Same distance and lighting conditions. The difference is not subtle. iChat uses the Logitech just fine without any additional drivers.
( Last edited by Guy Kuo; Nov 13, 2007 at 12:14 AM. )

MacPhly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2007, 08:21 PM

Guy,

Thanks for the contrasting photos. Looks like the Carl Zeiss lens in the Logitech has raised the standard for all current webcams, including iSight.

Just a thought ... your Macbook may probably be the first generation Macbook that had the shutdown problem (right?). I wonder if anyone else with the latest Nov. 2007 Macbook would also like to do a similar photo comparison between the built-in iSight and this Carl Zeiss Logitech webcam.

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2007, 09:17 PM

That's actually from a 2nd generation machine, but perhaps the Nov 2007 units have a different camera.

Forum Links
Forum Rules