Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > airport leopard sleep problem

airport leopard sleep problem
adamj575
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2007, 07:55 PM

hope im in the right place for some help! for some strange reason after updating to 10.5.1 whenever my computer sleeps or the screen saver starts or any kind of interuption i cant connect to my wireless network unless i restart my macbook. whenever i restart everything is fine until one of the aforementioned things takes place. i cant find anything on this topic. i have a charter internet cable modem and a brand new belkin wireless -n router. thanks in advance

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2007, 08:34 PM

Call Apple Tech Support perhaps. That's a nasty bug.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

adamj575  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2007, 06:49 PM

got rid of that piece of crap belkin and went back to a linksys -g eventually ill try a linksys -n but ill never use anything belkin again guess there is a reason the belkin was $30 cheaper! thanks anyway for the comments.

AriKo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 05:27 PM

Exactly same problem here with 10.5.1 AirPort connection after Mac has been taking a nap. For me it starts to work if I turn AirPort off and on again. Ok, sometimes I have to repeat that two times...

I use ZyXel P660HW-61 and the access point name is hidden & the thing has been protected with WEP 40/128-bit ASCII password.

It seems to be a Leopard problem, because my MacBook worked just fine with the same access point with 10.4.10 in the Mac. Again, my VNC client (JollyFastVNC) stopped working in Leopard upgrade. It works well in LAN, but not in WLAN any more...

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2007, 11:57 PM

Oddly enough, my experience with my MacBook after installing Leopard was quite the opposite. It now reconnects after sleep almost instantly to several Airport Expresses (WPA)and some Cisco access points (open access). Under Tiger it was often a wait of 10 to 20 seconds before airport connection reeastablished. Now with Leopard, it usually is connected within seconds of waking from sleep.

I'd try switching your network to WPA security and seeing if that helps.

AriKo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 01:22 AM

Good idea, but WEP 40/128-bit ASCII is unfortunately a "corporate policy" -> not allowed to change it. How do these different security settings compare with each other (securitywise)?

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2007, 04:10 PM

That is an unfortunate "policy." WEP does allow legacy compatibility, but is already broken and poor for security. WPA offers stronger security.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by AriKo View Post
Good idea, but WEP 40/128-bit ASCII is unfortunately a "corporate policy" -> not allowed to change it. How do these different security settings compare with each other (securitywise)?
Short answer... WEP can be cracked in seconds to minutes and offers practically no security whatsoever; WPA can't be cracked at all as far as I know. If it is being presented as a "security" issue, your corporate policy is ridiculous.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 23, 2007, 06:27 PM

What they said-WEP is poo, pure and simple. ANY piece of wireless networking hardware made in the last three or more years (probably more like six) WILL support WPA, so compatibility is not an issue. Further, as JKT says, WEP can be cracked almost trivially. It really provides the opposite of security, since it gives someone a warm, protected feeling but doesn't protect them at all. Having spent a lot of years in computer security, I can say with certainty that your corporate policy is as much poo as WEP is. If you have the ear of anyone with authority, let them know that, for many years, WEP has been completely compromised and is useless as a security system.

On topic, for quite some time people have been reporting the "I can't use my wireless network when I wake my computer from sleep." The reason for this has to do with how the wireless network works. Instead of being on a single radio frequency, WiFi skips from one frequency to another and then another in something called Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum; this allows a number of different networks to share a relatively narrow band of frequencies without (theoretically) interfering with each other. When you put your computer to sleep, and the AirPort card can no longer track the frequency sequence with the network. For some unknown reason, some Macs in some situations do not notify the AirPort card (or maybe it's that the card doesn't ask) that the computer has just woken up, so to the card, the network has just disappeared. The simplest fix is to just manually turn off the AirPort system from the gadget at the top of the screen and then turn it back on.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules