Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Video Chat on MAC to PC advice....

Video Chat on MAC to PC advice....
Golden Halo
Aug 5, 2008, 01:46 AM

Hey, I have a friend with a macbook away at college and her mom with a pc who would like to be able to video chat with her. Is this as easy as her going out and buying a webcam and going on AIM?
Thanks
15.4" Macbook Pro 2.2 Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 500GB HD @ 7,200rpm. 20" iMac Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256 VRAM, 250 GB HD. Pro apps: Final Cut Studio, and Logic Pro 8.

branden3112
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2008, 02:28 AM

i use meebo.com and mac to pc video chat works great with the only catch being that you both have to use meebo.com. the link is meebo.com. just make sure on the pc that she uses IE because i couldn't get my friends connections to work when they used firefox but it worked fine in IE.

Cold Warrior
Aug 5, 2008, 03:08 AM

Skype works perfectly and very well across LANs and NAT. Noise cancellation sucks. Just ensure one party uses a headset, earphones, or a bluetooth earpiece.

OreoCookie
Aug 5, 2008, 03:17 AM

Use Skype, that's the best multiplatform video/voice chat solution out there.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

branden3112
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2008, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Golden Halo View Post
Hey, I have a friend with a macbook away at college and her mom with a pc who would like to be able to video chat with her. Is this as easy as her going out and buying a webcam and going on AIM?
Thanks
I think he would like to use AIM not not Skype.

Cold Warrior
Aug 5, 2008, 03:29 AM

Maybe he'd like to (it's not clear from the post), but Skype really is the best multi-platform video and voice chat application, like Oreo mentioned.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2008, 05:58 AM

iChat on Mac and AIM 5.9 on the PC should work too though. And so should iChat and Trillian Pro.

Golden Halo  (op)
Aug 5, 2008, 05:32 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll get back if i've got any problems.
15.4" Macbook Pro 2.2 Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 500GB HD @ 7,200rpm. 20" iMac Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256 VRAM, 250 GB HD. Pro apps: Final Cut Studio, and Logic Pro 8.

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2008, 11:55 PM

Multiplatform --- use Skype. It's much more likely to function (and continue functioning). Very easy to set up on both Mac and PC. Works across more router configurations, but video and audio are not as good.

Pure Mac to Mac -- use iChat, noticably better video and audio than Skype

Absolutely want iChat on Mac, but don't care how bad the experience is on the Windows end ---- use iChat and AIM 5.9 on the PC. This combination can be very tricky to troubleshoot, particularly when things go awry on the PC side. Also, delivers a far lower resolution and low frame rate video experience than iChat to iChat or Skype to Skype.

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2008, 03:56 AM

Skype is a great multiplatform solution that has worked for me....I agree, audio could be better. IChat is great for Mac to Mac.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

Forum Links
Forum Rules