Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > duh...help?

duh...help?
bezoar
Nov 5, 2001, 03:26 PM

i bought a used powerbook off of someone, and i'd like to purchase ram for it. the problem is that i'm not sure what model it is (hence the "duh" in the subject title). it's black and i know it's a g3, but i'm not sure what the difference is between pismo, wallstreet and lombard (processing speed?). thanks in advance...

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2001, 03:33 PM

Try searching at www.apple.com/support for "PowerBook G3 Series (Bronze keyboard): How to Differentiate From Other PowerBook G3 Series Computers", whose article ID is 58328.

<eastmac>
Nov 5, 2001, 03:39 PM

I have a Wallstreet G3/233. While it has the 14.1" screen, it does not have USB or firewire. The Wallstreets are the thickest of the three types and also had varying screen sizes and types, from 12.1" to 14.1". They all became 14.1" later. They also had speeds starting at 233 Mhz. Mine has a RageProLT Graphics card with 4 MB VRAM. Use the Apple System Profiler to see what your machine has. If it has firewire and USB, it is surely not a Wallstreet.

The Pismos are thinner and lighter (don't know the specifics) and have clear, "bronze" keyboards I think. They have speeds up to 500 Mhz or so.

Hope this helps

<Michal>
Nov 5, 2001, 03:56 PM

Wallstreets: Fat, heavy, no USB or Firewire, Last product to ship with color apple logo. (love mine, don't take the "fat, heavy" part the wrong way). Processor speeds ranged from 233 to 300 Mhz.

Lombards (Powerbook 1999): First generation with bronze keyboard. Has USB, but no Firewire. Thinner than a wallstreet. Processor speeds were 333 and 400 Mhz on a 66 Mhz bus.

Pismo (Powerbook 2000): Identical in form to the Lombard. Inside, it's got a 100 Mhz bus, and processors clocked at 400 and 500 Mhz. Also, it has firewire. Finally, this model does not say "Powerbook g3" under the screen, but rather, only "Powerbook."

Ordering ram from most places will usually use one of the names "Powerbook 1998/1999/2000"

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2001, 06:44 PM

I had a Pismo a while ago, and it was great! Check out the Apple System Profiler in the Apple Menu. I believe it will identify your model.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2001, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Michal&gt;:
[QB]\Pismo (Powerbook 2000): Identical in form to the Lombard. Inside, it's got a 100 Mhz bus, and processors clocked at 400 and 500 Mhz. Also, it has firewire. Finally, this model does not say "Powerbook g3" under the screen, but rather, only "Powerbook."/QB]
Slight quibble: my Lombard has "Macintosh PowerBook G3" under the screen.

locutus126
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2001, 07:27 PM

He said that the Pismos dont say that and the Lombards DO have G3 written on em.

bezoar  (op)
Nov 7, 2001, 11:22 AM

thanks to all of you for your help. i'm pretty sure it's a lombard now, it says powerbook g3 under the screen, has a bronze keyboard, and is 400mhz.

spikydog - couldn't find that article using the search at apple support, maybe i have to be registered to see it?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2001, 11:45 AM

Yeah... that would do it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules