Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 1st Gen iPad Issue

1st Gen iPad Issue
ghporter
Administrator
Mar 29, 2014, 11:28 PM

About six months ago, my wife's 1st Gen iPad was stolen. It was fully functional at that time. She's just gotten it back from the police, and while it seems to work, it will not hold a charge.

First, what could cause an iPad battery to fail just sitting in an evidence locker? (I am firmly convinced that it was really just sitting there.) Second, is there any way to replace the battery that is worth our while? Finally, given that the device shows fully charged after being plugged in for an appropriate amount of time and then discharges just sitting there, is there anything that might be faulty other than the battery itself?

Thanks.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 30, 2014, 09:50 AM

Li-Ion batteries, if left unattended for long periods of time, can and do die, especially if they have heavy usage on them.

I've seen this before, not just on the iPad. I'm not sure how worthwhile it is to replace, given prices of the iPad mini versus the about $125 I assume its going to cost to get it re-batteries.

Toss it in the house somewhere, tethered. Use it for music or video playback.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Mar 30, 2014, 10:01 AM

Thanks. I was concerned that there might be something more of a problem than just the battery crapping out. Shortly after the theft - the iPad had been recovered but was in evidence the same day as the theft - my wife's birthday popped up and we got her a Mini, so she's not stuck. We'll ponder what to do with it, now that we have an idea of what to expect.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andi*pandi
Mar 30, 2014, 11:56 AM

I got an ipod battery from these guys, which is still working. the ipod battery was much cheaper than the ipad one though.

Is $89 worth it?

iPod Battery Depot | Replace your Battery Today

Forum Links
Forum Rules