Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > replacing ram in Lombard lower slot

replacing ram in Lombard lower slot
bezoar
Dec 14, 2001, 01:27 PM

hi, i looked at the old thread (here) regarding this topic, as i am interested in replacing the measly 64mb in the lower slot in my lombard. i realize it is not encouraged by apple for the user to do this but i'd rather not have to take it to a shop. i'm wondering what sort of tool is best for removing the processor board thru the 2 little holes (to minimize potential damage)? also do i have to worry about disconnecting the processor board from the motherboard on the bottom side? and if i end up chickening out and take it to a dealer for this service, how much can i expect them to gouge me for?

and why did apple make it so difficult/discouraging for the user to access this ram slot?

thanks

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: bezoar ]

Surfer
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2001, 08:17 PM

It's really easy to do! Basically do as it it says in the manual for removing RAM. Then when you have removed the RAM you just simply bend the proccessor card up a bit and it will pop out of the motherboard socket. Then you simply replace the lower slot just like you did with the upper.
If you search the web you can find Apple service manuals on how to do this...

Hope that helps

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2001, 11:19 PM

I just used a screwdriver to pry the top board off. Not the safest method in the world but it works fine. The processor card on the Lombard connects to the mainboard via a single connector towards the middle of the case (the right side of the card). If you put the head of your screwdriver in the space between the hard drive wall and the processor card and tilt it the processor card should pop off. You're going to need a low profile DIMM to stick in the bottom slot. I used a Kingston SODIMM in mine. You don't need to reset the processor or anything of that sort, the bottom memory chip is in the same sort of SODIMM slot the top memory chip has.
2GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 2GB RAM

bezoar  (op)
Dec 17, 2001, 11:50 AM

thanks, i look forward to using the low profile ram and maxing the laptop out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules