Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > downloading music files

downloading music files
vic
Nov 16, 2000, 08:23 AM

I am a self-taught Mac user, and thus and somewhat ignorant..So sorry, if this is a completely basic query!

I have been trying to download music files (not MP3s) from the internet; they seem to download OK, but I can never get any of them to work. What sort of software do I need for this, and where can I get it (for free?).

I have a G3 with OS 8.6; it plays my CDs OK, but nothing else!

Thanks for reading my stupid questions (there are many more to come, I suspect).

WTWolfe
Nov 16, 2000, 02:42 PM

I understand your dilema. Go here and get SoundApp, it's Freeware and it will do the trick.
http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~franke/SoundApp/

But if you decide that you want something that is a little more feature rich, go to www.download.com and do a search for MP3 Player or something like that and you will see everything that is available. Or just click on their MP3 link to go to that specific place at Download.com. Keep your eyes pealed for "SoundJam MP" that is what I use and I really do enjoy it. Hope this helps!

------------------
William Wolfe

� G4 350 (AGP) 352MB OS9.0.4
� iBook SE 466 Graphite 192MB OS9.0.4
� G4 350 (AGP) 640MB OS 9.2.2
� iBook SE 466 Graphite 192MB OS X v10.1.4 (5Q125)

bil207
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2000, 03:10 PM

This site should be helpful http://www.macdigitalaudio.com/

bezoar
Nov 17, 2000, 03:45 PM

If you're using NapsterMac, go to preferences and choose Quicktime as your player. It will now save future MP3's as quicktime files. Any older MP3's can be played with quicktime, too, only you have to go to quicktime's file menu, select open movie, choose MP3, click convert. Also there are free MP3 players available, i think one is called Audion...

Cipher13
Nov 18, 2000, 05:16 AM

Audion is not free, but a demo version is available.
Visit www.panic.com and get it.
Audion rocks.

Cipher13

bezoar
Nov 19, 2000, 02:27 AM

ok Audion is not free, but MPlay, Music Match, and SoundJam are...I think...maybe

Forum Links
Forum Rules