Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > DSL Cableing Question

DSL Cableing Question
ghporter
Administrator
Jun 22, 2013, 06:10 PM

I hope someone here has a bit of specific knowledge and/or experience in this area, because I can't find any real information about it.

My wife's employer is going to be providing her with a DSL line so she can work from home. I want to avoid having some telco guy staple wire around the eaves of my house (like avoiding being run over by a steamroller). I have a DSL connection already coming into the house through wiring built into the house during construction, using CAT 3 cabling.

It is fairly easy for me to get to where the DSL CAT 3 comes into the house, and obviously only one pair in that cable is currently being used, so I'd like to just drop another CAT 3 or 5 line into that box, tie into an unused pair in the incoming cable, and run the new cable to my wife's home office.

The question is: can I run two different DSL lines through different pairs in the same CAT 3 or CAT 5 cable so I can do that?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

reader50
Administrator
Jun 22, 2013, 07:04 PM

Should work fine. The pairs are twisted individually to prevent cross talk.

I ran CAT3 through my place years ago, then eventually used it for 100 Mb ethernet. Which should have required CAT5. The cables were of high enough quality, and the distances were fairly short.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jun 22, 2013, 10:44 PM

Great. Thanks for the reassurance.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules