Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Question for all freelance graphic artists

Question for all freelance graphic artists
Beewee
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2006, 11:10 PM

Recently I've have applied for a contract job. It's just a small time thing a company wants me to design them some signs that they can turn into giant magnets for garage doors. They want to know my hourly rates. As this is my first type of freelance gig I have no hourly rates.

My question is: What would be fair?
I feel that if I ask too little they won't think I'm worth it and if I ask too high they'll go with someone cheaper. Also I have had no formal training and this is my first job. And with my inexperience in mind and this is going to be a work from home deal ( I don't even know if I'm going to meet this company face to face.) how do I protect myself from being taken advantage of?

Any help would be awesome thanks!
( Last edited by Beewee; Jul 12, 2006 at 11:29 PM. )

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2006, 09:42 AM

OK... let's assume you have the skills and experience. You mentioned this is your first freelance gig. If you are currently or have been employed as a graphic designer, take your annual salary, work out the gross hourly rate (based on 40 hrs). Use that rate as a starting point. Ask the company what they are offering to pay. Then make a decision.

However, based on the the fact you are designing large door magnets of some sort, I wouldn't expect this kind of project to have big $$$.

Good luck.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 01:36 PM

Giant garage door magnets? Hmm.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 02:21 PM

My 2�

MOST IMPORTANT IS #1

1) Map out EXACTLY what they are looking for. I'm talking EVERYTHING... Number of proofs, number of initial designs, the general timeframe of the project, time to generate PDFs, time to make print outs, time on the phone, time coordinating, reading email, proofing, downloading files, etc. etc. etc. I'm talking EVERYTHING you can think of.

2) Assign a hourly value to everything above. [I'll use 50 hours for my example] and add 10% [55 total]

3) Calculate the minimum amount of money you are willing to work for. $12

4) Multiply 55 x 12 = $660

4) Add 35% to get $858

AND MAKE SURE TO NOTE in the contract that additional proofs, edits, corrections, AAs, print outs, etc. beyond what is in the quote will be charged accordingly. Also, if you want a long lasting relationship with this company, tell them when they have arrived at their quota... and everything from that point is extra.

NOTE: MAKE IT WORTH IT... and don't quote too low or you may be stuck working for nothing...

tpicco
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2006, 02:35 PM

I agree... overestimate your time at LEAST by 10% since you are new to this... you will be surprised how long some things take...

Forum Links
Forum Rules