Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Calling all 15" Powerbook users

Calling all 15" Powerbook users
Ryan1524
Senior User
Sep 1, 2004, 09:12 PM

hi guys. i need moral support from fellow 15" users. i chose the new 15" PB for school, and i love it. the screen is gorgeous, and backlit keyboard is very useful. but as i help my friends buy notebooks for school, most picked the 12". partly because of price, but they also liked how small it is. and this brought back my indecisions from when i was deciding for my powerbook.

i keep thinking how i should've went for the 12" since it's smaller, more compact, easier to handle, etc. i'm not gonna sell it, but i'd like to hear from fellow users to help me be even happier with my decision. i know this sounds stupid, but i'd love to hear some praise and Pro's for the 15" against the 12" to help me fortify my choice.

and all in all..i just wanna hear happy 15" users voicing out.
( Last edited by Ryan1524; Sep 1, 2004 at 09:27 PM. )
Ryan

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2004, 09:18 PM

you made the right choice. im starting school again and i opted for the 17"

you will thank yourself later for the screen space!
-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2004, 09:20 PM

oh i forgot to tell you, i sold my 12" rev B powerbook because the screen was too small for my taste.

you will love your 15"
-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

songoku912
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2004, 09:28 PM

Coming from a 12" iBook to a 15" powerbook, you will not regret your decision in the long run. The added screen real estate is awesome

balls
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 09:30 PM

I think you indeed will love your 15. If you got the 1.5 GHz chip, then you have a faster computer than your friends.

Maclomaniac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 09:40 PM

I sold my 12" powerbook from the summer of 2003 and bought the latest 15" powerbook. I loved the portability of my 12" powerbook, but the screen size really got to me after awhile, especially since I do graphics stuff. I think 12" powerbooks are always really nice to start off in, and fine for some users, but that eventually, most will wish they had the extra screen space, whether they admit it or not. Plus you get a faster processor... don't look back....
15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 1 GB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD
20 GB 4th Gen. iPod

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?" -Tom Clancy

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 10:29 PM

i love the 12" it is an amazing computer. but i need the screen space. i sold my 12 to a friend and got the 15, and am so happy i did it. just by showing my 15 to another friend who owns a 12 made him want to sell his 12 to get a 15.

but seriously. if you are not happy with your 15 what does it matter if we are happy with our 15's? if you are not happy, sell it and get a 12 and an ipod . i am sure you won't have trouble selling the 15.
do whatever makes *you* happy.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 10:47 PM

I love my 15." A 12" would have just been too cramped screen-wise for me. I use Photoshop (lots of pallets) and Logic (lots of Windows, with big elements) and I would have gone insane with 12." Plus, the 15 has all sorts of stuff that the 12" doesn't your friends will eventually succumb to jealousy.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Ryan1524  (op)
Senior User
Sep 1, 2004, 10:48 PM

but i don't want to sell my 15", i love it. it's just sometimes my demons play tricks on me and tried to make me feel unhappy about it. but i'm really not, after all the considerations, i like the 15" better than the 12" - except for the fact that occasionally, i wish my 15" is smaller. but i know that's impossible without letting go of all the wonderful things that only this model or the 17" can offer.

i just need some words of re-assurance. this is great, keep em coming - i'm feeling better already.

ps: i didn't wanna brag too much about this, but i've managed to get 3 people to get a Powerbook. granted one of them already have a 20" iMac, but still. yeay me!!
Ryan

ojnihs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 10:59 PM

I bought a 15 inch half-way through my first year of college last year and I couldn't be happier. There's a ton of people with 12 inch powerbooks around, and they are waaaaay to small for me.

You'll seriously love the extra screen space, I do. The 17 inc h was way too big for me, so I bought the 15. Couldn't be happier mate.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2004, 01:11 AM

I almost got the 12", but then I saw the 128MB Radeon upgrade for the 15". That decided it for me. Now I really want to get Tiger and try out CoreVideo on it.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 01:16 AM

i am still deciding between a 12" and a 15". I am leaning towards the 15 inch but man, this thread is weak compared to the 12" unite thread
iamwhor3hay

reybart
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2004, 07:35 AM

You are correct. I have the 15" yet still bought the 12" Rev C for obvious reason (portability,etc). And you know what, my colleagues were really amazed with the 12" compared with the 15' that I used to bring @ work.
I am more happy then having the 12".

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
i am still deciding between a 12" and a 15". I am leaning towards the 15 inch but man, this thread is weak compared to the 12" unite thread

jeffB
Sep 2, 2004, 09:31 AM

BLASTFUMY!
you love your 15"
(i hope you didnt post that on your 15")

Voch
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 11:21 AM

Still love my 15" TiBook. The screen is fantastic. I had an iBook G3/500 before this machine. I'm still trying to decide between 12" iBook/PowerBook or 15" PowerBook for my next upgrade, but I definately enjoy using the machine I have now.

Voch

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2004, 11:34 AM

I have a 15" and my girlfriend has a 12" iBook, I can't stand to use her computer, the screen is way to small, I need room to stretch things.
Mr. CaN

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 12:07 PM

You copied my 12" owners UNITE thread you damn copier, you. TIme for me to

crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap

all over this thread.

But seriously you guys got great Powerbooks too, and I don't see a reason not to love your 15" as much as I love my 12" or as much as others love their 17". Just make sure you all get your moneys worth for the powerbooks you own.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

manero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 12:39 PM

I got my 15" PB on Tuesday, and I am absolutely loving it. It was expensive as heck, but I have no regrets at all. Totally worth it, and now I can actually do work on the road, since I upgraded from a 300mhz Rev.A clamshell iBook

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2004, 02:46 PM

Widescreen. Enough said.

Really though, I ordered (but have not yet recieved.. arg!) a 15" after really going back and forth between a 12" and a 15".

Just pop a DVD into that bad boy and marvel at how skinny the black bars are on the top and bottom of the screen! The effect is even greater with Letterbox (1.69:1) movies compared to anamorphic (2.35:1) movies because with letterbox the bars are nearly gone! Then go look at your friend's 12" and see how the huge black bars take up a lot of the already small screen making a reallly tiny movie. I don't have measurements but it might even be

Also marvel at the quality and brightness of your 15" screen. One of the biggest deciding factors for me was the quality of the screen. The 15" screen is soo much brighter and has better contrast and viewing angle compared to the 12" screen that I nearly decided on that alone. From the times I was in the store testing the laptops out I could bring the 15" down to 1 bar brightness and still see it ok whereas the 12" screen I had to have at nearly full brightness to have a crisp readable display!

But also appreciate the smaller things about your 15" like FW800 for when you buy that external HD in the future, and the fact that it has USB ports on the right side so you can attach a mouse and not have to route wire all around because you are right handed. If you have a backlit keyboard be happy about that (It cost me about a week's worth of waiting to add the backlit keyboard as a BTO argh!)

Last but not least the 15" can battery hot-swap whereas the 12" can't. So put your PB to sleep and remove the battery just because you can hehe.

I hope you can tell I need a lot of reconciling myself having just paid a lot of money for this laptop. Now make me feel even better by posting your 1337 h4x0r battery times! Nothing lower than 3.5hrs hehe.

Hope you feel better now!

Ruahrc

meatyocre
Sep 2, 2004, 08:27 PM

Same story here..the 12" PB is really great and cute, but when really working the lack of screen real estate slows me down. It will wear you out quicker. Switching back to the 15", just waiting for the next revision.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 09:20 PM

I've got both a 12" and a 15". I got the 12" for airline travel, but when I'm home or commuting to work, I always grab the 15". The weight difference is really not significant, and once the PowerBook is in a backpack (and sleeve, of course!) there is really no difference in portability.

For me, the 15" has always been the sweet spot in Apple's lineup. I got the 17" for my wife and personally I feel it's too big to be anything other than a desktop replacement. She loves it and enjoys wowing her friends with her sleek and sexy yet monster-sized Mac. Most of them are making due with old Dells or Toshibas so they have serious envy when they see her Lapzilla. But for me, the 15 offers the perfect size wide screen, top-notch graphics and processor, and a design that just makes you want to touch it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules