Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > are there any mac mmorpgs?

are there any mac mmorpgs?
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2004, 05:59 AM

I've been addicted to Eve Online for a few weeks now... Are there any mac alternatives? I loved EV:Nova, but i am looking for an online game.

Oh and the Eve Online crew are looking into a mac port here one of the first mmorpgs to even consider a mac port. woot!

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2004, 10:05 AM

World of Warcraft is a mmorpg thats coming to the mac, last i heard.

Lineage is another mmorpg that is on the mac. you can order the cd for free, but it costs to play, of course.

i know their are more, but i just can't think of them right now.

-Q-
Sep 22, 2004, 10:34 AM

Everquest is available for the Mac, you just can't play with PC players.

As mentioned, WoW should be out by the end of the year (and it's a lot of fun).

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 10:59 AM

World of Warcraft is the greatest MMORPG I've played. It is amazingly fun, and quite addictive. Plus, since you play alongside the PC players, there is going to be a HUGE player base.

I tried Everquest and could never get into it. The interface wasn't good, people were not friendly, and the game was relatively empty since the server was all-Mac.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Turias
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 11:02 AM

Another big thumbs-up for World of Warcraft. The Open Beta should be starting within the next couple months, I would imagine.

And wait, Peter, you started this thread? You're already in our guild! Not a big fan of the game, I guess?
( Last edited by Turias; Sep 22, 2004 at 11:13 AM. )

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2004, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Turias:
Another big thumbs-up for World of Warcraft. The Open Beta should be starting within the next couple months, I would imagine.

And wait, Peter, you started this thread? You're already in our guild! Not a big fan of the game, I guess?
looking for a sci-fi mmorpg also

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2004, 11:29 AM

A Tale in the Desert 2 just released a mac beta. No idea if it's any good.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2004, 12:16 PM

Shadowbane is a Mac and PC MMORPGS.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2004, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
World of Warcraft is the greatest MMORPG I've played. It is amazingly fun, and quite addictive. Plus, since you play alongside the PC players, there is going to be a HUGE player base.

I tried Everquest and could never get into it. The interface wasn't good, people were not friendly, and the game was relatively empty since the server was all-Mac.
I can't comment on WoW as I haven't played it yet. In regards to the friendliness of folks on the Everquest Mac server I have heard the opposite. This being true in particular for folks coming across from EQ on the PC side. There are benefits to an undercrowded server. Less competition for the mobs and quests which tends to make people less nasty. Granted there are some bad eggs but I think every game has those. I would agree that the interface could use some improvement though. There are custom UIs you can use but they only do so much to improve things.

At the end of the day your choice in MMoRPG is going to be based around what you're looking for in a game. What's fun for one person will not necessarily be fun for everyone

Tofu Greensands
65 Paladin of Al'Kabor

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2004, 12:42 PM

Try Vendetta, space MMO.

http://www.vendetta-online.com/
MacBook Pro

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2004, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
A Tale in the Desert 2 just released a mac beta. No idea if it's any good.
I started playing this yesterday, and I have to say its fun, still not sure if I'm willing to pay a monthly fee to play games online.
Mr. CaN

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by gbafan:
Try Vendetta, space MMO.

http://www.vendetta-online.com/
Thank you for the link. I'm looking forward to this assuming it isn't vaporware.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:
Thank you for the link. I'm looking forward to this assuming it isn't vaporware.
I take that back. the box went to the printers a few days ago. great.

Noivad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2004, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by Peter:
I've been addicted to Eve Online for a few weeks now... Are there any mac alternatives? I loved EV:Nova, but i am looking for an online game.

Oh and the Eve Online crew are looking into a mac port here one of the first mmorpgs to even consider a mac port. woot!
No one here has mentioned Clan Lord , so I will here.

It's been around since 1998, and has a small but dedicated player base. It's a fantasy game like D&D, but it's more of an arcade* role-playing game than anything. Once you download the game you can use free demo characters that you can use to try out the game before you buy it. They can do everything a regular character can, except they don't save your progress when you log out. Once you do that, a good place to go for information about the game is ThoomCare Media Network. ThoomCare is a player run site with screen shots and links to other sites players have made.

Also, don't be afraid to ask players for information in the game, most people will help you out.

M

*"Arcade" as in you bump into things to attack them, kind of like a computer bop-a-mole.
"The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen [sic] and stupidity."--Noivad

Forum Links
Forum Rules