Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > America's Army

America's Army
az_matt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2004, 06:27 PM

Anyone here play America's Army on their Mac? I played it a while back on my old Windows desktop before AA went to some newer versions that made it hard to play with decent resolution/options (old hardware, and I just don't wanna spend any more money on my PC).

I know they have a Mac client available, and since I'm thinking about getting a G5 dualie soon (prolly 1.8 bto with a better card - maybe even the 6800 Ultra), I figured I'd ask around and see if anyone else is playing and how it runs on different hardware combos...

Thanks!

Matthew

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2004, 06:33 PM

I've played it on my G4 1.5 powerbook. I can set all the resolution options to the max and it still runs great.
Mr. CaN

az_matt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2004, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the quick response. Just a not - I've got a Rec C 12" - 1.33GHz, 1.25GB RAM.. but it's the Go5200/64mb that kills it for me. I tried playing it a while back when I first got my PB, but even at 800x600 with the options cranked all the way down it was pretty choppy. Maybe 30fps with nothing going on, but when anything on screen happens, the frame rate would stutter.

Which video card do you have in your 1.5GHz PB? I can't think that 1.33 to 1.5 is *that* big of a jump?

Matthew

James L
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 10:53 PM

The 1.5Ghz PB's have the ATI 9700 Mobility, with either 64 or 128MB of VRAM.

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2004, 12:18 PM

Yea, sorry I got a 128mb version of the ATI card, so that could make a big difference.
Mr. CaN

James L
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 12:41 AM

Not as much as you would think. The ATI 9700 is a much better card than the nVidia that is in the 12" PB, but there is very little difference between 64MB and 128MB of vram.

Barefeats has a bunch tests. The difference with the extra vram is only a few FPS in todays games... tomorrow, who knows?

mjankor
Oct 17, 2004, 09:33 AM

AA runs very well on my G5 2.0 with Radeon 9800 Special Edition.

I run it with everything turned up, 1680x1050 and the worst frame rate I get is in the Hospital map, during firefights where it can drop to 20fps.This is the most intensive area of any map in the game at the moment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules