Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > What's up the podcaster's a**?

What's up the podcaster's a**?
kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2005, 04:08 PM

I keep reading how the podcasters hate the shuffle. Fine, it's small and won't fit many podcasts, but they're going off on how it a move backwards and they want apple to make an ipod more suitable to podcasting. Can someone tell me exactly what they want?

kman

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2005, 06:58 PM

They want iPod Video.
Mr. CaN

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2005, 09:54 PM

Who gives a fsck what podcaster's want.
I don't even give a wet fart who they are.

-t

marusin
Senior User
Jan 15, 2005, 11:27 PM

I hate to say it, but the problem that the Podcasters have with the iPod Shuffle is the fact that for the most part, the "bigname" podcasters have the same attitude that the "bigname" bloggers do: They think the world revolves around them.

Now I hate to generalize, but I feel that this is true. I've been blogging on and off for the last 4 years and have been a listener of a hand full of podcasts since day one (Adam Curry, Dave Winer and Dawn & Drew to name a few) while also putting together ideas for my own PodCast.

The percentage of people who use an iPod, iPod Shuffle or any other mp3 player for that matter is a micro-percentage of the total amount of users that Apple will be selling the Shuffle to. Why should Apple care about what this percentage cares about? I for one have a Shuffle ordered and am actually thinking that it's going to be great for listening to PodCasts. I sync my regular 40gb iPod with my Mac at home, but many times new PodCasts are released during the day while I'm at work. I would love to listen to something new on the way home and think that putting the PodCasts I listen to up at the top of my playlist on my Shuffle will be great for the car ride/train ride home.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 05:11 AM

What the heck is a pod cast? I've heard this all over slashdot but have no idea what they are... like... just aac or mp3 files of people talking or... what?

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2005, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
What the heck is a pod cast? I've heard this all over slashdot but have no idea what they are... like... just aac or mp3 files of people talking or... what?
Exactly, not all are talking though. There are many podcasts about music, that play music. They are the poorman's radio. Anyone can create a podcast about anything they want. It provides a great way for people to listen to what they want.
Mr. CaN

marusin
Senior User
Jan 16, 2005, 09:16 PM

Podcasting is a bit more than just an mp3 file of someone talking. It's more about the delivery method ~ the mp3s are within an RSS Feed and they are automatically downloaded. Almost like subscribing.

A good definition of Podcasting is available over at http://www.ipodder.org/whatIsPodcasting

Forum Links
Forum Rules