Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The Switch: In the market for Newer Powerbook 17"

The Switch: In the market for Newer Powerbook 17"
dialekt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2005, 08:17 AM

Hello, here goes my first post. Ok I'm making the switch. I think I'll love it. Everything I've witnessed so far with mac & OSX has been positive. (especially Eye Tv 500). I am in the market for the newer 17" Powerbook. I really think I will be more happier with the 17" because of the screen real estate. Considering the price of these powerbooks, they will serve as my only desktop until the newer intel macs come out or until I decide to go Dual or Quad. I want to do a memory upgrade upon buying but feel as though I'm getting ripped off through apple rather than doing it myself. But at the same time I don't want to void any kinda warranty or mess anything up. The only memory I've seen that looks the most compatible is from crucial: Crucial Part Number: CT479695, Module Size: 2GB (2pc kit), * Crucial Part Number: CT479695
* Module Size: 2GB (2pc kit)
* Package: 200-pin SODIMM
* Feature: DDR2 PC2-4200
* Configuration: 128Meg x 64
* DIMM Type: UNBUFFERED
* Error Checking: NON-ECC
* Speed: 533
* SDRAM Timings: CL=4
* Specs: DDR2 PC2-4200 • CL=4 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR2-533 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64

price - 269.65

Maybe they are just the quickest to update their site for searching for compatible ram specific to the "newer" powerbooks. I'm sure there are others out there. I took a glimpse at Kingston as well. What specifically should I look for? Am i wasting money on outfitting the Powerbook with 2gb RAM? i want this thing to be solid and a beast.

As far as hard drives goes, I don't want to kill the battery life. So I wonder what were the results of the 100gb 7200 vs the 120gb 5400 hard drive? I know ultimately for my real storage I will have an external. But anything to look out?

I feel like I'm learning everything all over again. Well I basically am. Hopefully I can make my purchase and not feel ripped off after. I really want to gain a good solid year out of this Powerbook. My duties will include Video Editing, HD viewing/recording (via Eye TV 500 most likely, photo editing, internet, dvd watching on the go like a madman! (via two batteries). Viewing DVDs via DVI on a big LCD. etc etc bla bla bla.. Basically a desktop replacement style powerbook.

P.S. I will be so sad if a newer Powerbook is released 3 months after I pay 2,500.00 for the current one. But hey , that's how technology works.

i've got tons of other questions..but I'll wait till I actually get the damn thing..hehe

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2005, 12:34 PM

Order this from the Crucial Memory advisor.

Despite the numbers matching up, funny things can make some RAM not work in Macs (or other computers). It's worth the extra $8 for gaurenteed compatability.

dialekt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2005, 01:41 PM

if you look above , you'll see that I just posted that exact same part number. And it's more than just an $8.00 difference if you place Kingston in to the picture. Probably about a $69.00 difference. But definitely worth it to me for the most part.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2005, 03:08 PM

I'm aware that it's the same part number. But as I said, even when the numbers match up, funny voodoo can happen with RAM. I wouldn't waste my time with Kingston. Even $69 is a drop in the bucket compared to the total price of your PowerBook.

To answer your question about 2GB being a waste of money, it most certainly is not if you like to run a lot of memory-hungry apps (like me, see my sig).

Al G
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2005, 03:39 PM

I have nothing against Crucial, but here are some alternatives which are also guaranteed to be compatible and cost less:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../4200DDR2S1GB/

http://www.transintl.com/store/categ...?Category=2614
Your Mac could help understand and cure disease

sbc
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2005, 06:03 PM

Congrats on the New PB... I just came back front the Apple store and that screen is awesome on the 17". The machine is big but the real estate you gain is well worth it to me. If the 15" was WSXGA I may have had a different opinion... Aww the video iPod screen is so cool.

Hopefully I'll be joinining the APPLE/MAC family by the Holiday times...
Am I ready for the Mac? I want a 60G iPod!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules