Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best Batch Image Resizer for Multiple Resolutions?

Best Batch Image Resizer for Multiple Resolutions?
Salty
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2014, 03:16 AM

Hey guys, as I mentioned before I'm working on an service that'll provide custom images for use with projectors, but of course I'm drawing them at 4K resolutions, I'm looking for a non-tedious way to get it down so that I have two separate images, one 4:3 and one 16:9 that can be opened in an app or script that'll export to 640/480, 800/600, and 1025/768, as well as a two different thumbnail sizes, plus another that'll do 1080 and 720 and a thumb nail.

I figured I could set it up easy enough in Automator but if I can I'm not finding how. There's a million apps on the Mac App Store that talk about resizing but I can't find any that don't seem to be focused mostly on batch shrinking a bunch of photos from a shoot.

I'm guessing somebody has to have written an app that does this quickly. Any suggestions?

P
Dec 8, 2014, 04:55 AM

I haven't used it in years, but Graphic Converter has a lot of batch commands for things like this. It probably has something for resizing as well.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2014, 01:22 PM

Photoshop action?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2014, 04:05 PM

I have used GraphicConverter for bacth conversions in the past. It has very powerful batch operations.

-t

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2014, 04:09 PM

Automator.

drchimrichalds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2014, 06:07 PM

I thought there was a function in adobe bridge for photoshop. Its been a while, though.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2014, 02:48 AM

So far I've found this Ryan Cooper Photography

I've emailed the guy and asked if he'd be wiling to modify it so that you can just specify what resolutions you want it to export. Who knows if he'll do that. Right now it's not overly useful for me. I tried seeing I could edit it myself, but my eyes glazed over and I quickly realized that I could vaguely tell what the code was for but had no idea how to write what I wanted it to do. If the author of it doesn't reply to me then I might just ask one of my friends who can code well and ask them if they wanna take a crack at it.

andi*pandi
Dec 9, 2014, 04:51 PM

I think what you want to do is more complicated than just resizing proportionally by 100. Making different images for screens will require some smart cropping/centering.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2014, 09:43 PM

There's really only two aspect ratios I need 16:9 and 4:3. Mostly I'm drawing the 16:9 and most of the time I can just crop it more in one direction or the other to keep the focal point centred. (So far I haven't had a real problem. Though it does help that I've always got that in mind when I'm drawing them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules