Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apple marketing: this is sad

Apple marketing: this is sad
ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2002, 04:35 AM

I just got an OS X newsletter. They included a link to this page http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...es/flurry.html
Unfortunetly, the link to download this item is hosted on itools, and this account has been temporarily suspended due to excessive bandwidth consumption.

Apple says:

Hey! thanks for helping us make OS X look even better. But if you really want to help, you can do it on your own without relying on any of the "cool" conveniences of owning a Mac.

Excuse me. I was just taken aback is all.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2002, 05:17 AM

Just a mistake, I'm sure. Never been to a Microsoft website that ever had a link that didn't work right? I know I have.

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2002, 05:17 AM

That's not exactly true. Sure, there are bandwidth restrictions on the iTools account. Developers don't get special treatment with those. However, many items that Apple has linked in it's software section can be found on your iDisk under Software/Mac\ OS\ X\ Software/Applications. For example, Flurry is located in your iDisk at Software/Mac\ OS\ X Software/Applications/System\/Disk\ Utilities/Flurry.dmg.

So as you can see, Apple does support these developers and does offer a way for people to get the software without the restrictions.

[edit] Also, (I'm not sure about this though) if Calum Robinson kept the Flurry.dmg in his Public dir, it might be possible to still download it when connecting through "Connect to Server...". I could be wrong about that but I was able to connect to his Public share and view the text files he has there.

[ 05-22-2002: Message edited by: Xeo ]

ksuther
Forum Regular
May 22, 2002, 06:55 AM

Same thing happened to my account right after I released Dockprefs 1.4. Silly Apple. I'm fairly sure you can get around the bandwidth restriction if you put the file into your Public folder, and then you can link to it with http://homepage.mac.com/<yournameher...<files>.

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 22, 2002, 07:55 AM

I also tried to download flurry and got the iTools bandwidth exceeded message.

That's a mistake on Apple's part. If they want people to use OS X and get excited about it, then the links to download OS X software should not be hosted on an iTools account that they limit bandwidth on. It doesn't make any sense. It discourages one from trying out what might be a good OS X application. How many people are going to take the time to go back later and try to download it again? I might or might not but many will just say screw it and move on.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
May 22, 2002, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by rlmorel:
<STRONG>Never been to a Microsoft website that ever had a link that didn't work right? </STRONG>
Micro$oft's website is an abomination of broken links and a lot of words spelled wrong.

el_humpo
Forum Regular
May 22, 2002, 03:12 PM

BTW, it seems fixed as I just downloaded Flurry from the link above, no problem.
Is this rock and roll, or
a form of state control?

ChaChi Boy
Senior User
May 22, 2002, 04:30 PM

It is free, you get what you pay for.

Iguana: The other green meat.

Forum Links
Forum Rules