Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac vs eMac- which to buy?

iMac vs eMac- which to buy?
bstone
Mac Elite
May 8, 2002, 01:25 PM

I am looking for your opinions. Do you think that it's best to get the eMac or iMac when purchasing computers that would be used in a labratory setting? I am the computer guy for a 5 story research lab and people are asking me- iMac or eMac? They love the look of the iMac, but is there a reason just that the eMac or better or vice versa?

Thanks!
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Commodus
Mac Elite
May 8, 2002, 02:40 PM

The iMac is likely the most functional computer in terms of a lab. First reason: space! It's dramatically smaller than an eMac, and so can fit in relatively cramped locations.

The display is also very useful in that you don't have to move a heavy monitor (or the whole computer, in the case of the eMac) if your horizontal viewing angle isn't quite right. You can also adjust the iMac's display vertically and adjust the angle in ways that just aren't possible with even the eMac's tilt-and-swivel stand. As a final bonus, the fact that you can position the computer's front independently from the display means that you can make sure the optical drive tray opens where it's most convenient.

The main advantage the eMac would have, if it were used, would be the fact that it's relatively rugged... but if you're in a research lab, the majority of people there are very much careful around the equipment they use. The 17" CRT does have a higher resolution of 1280x960, but that would only be relevant if you have specific apps that really needed lots of screen real estate.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Northform
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2002, 05:42 PM

It is really a mute point since you can't buy an eMac. As you have asid you are part of a 5 story research lab. That doesn't sound like an educational institute to me and currently Apple is only selling eMacs to educational institutes (Schools, Colleges, and Universities) and students. Unless you are part of a university you don't qualify.

The iMac also has practical advantages. Less power is needed to run them and the produce less heat (both thanks to the LCD display) which means less A/C usage in the summer. It is also common knowledge that LCDs are sharper and cause less eye strain than CRTs, but I haven't found a difference. Again, it's a mute point since you can't get eMacs.

Stoopid
May 13, 2002, 09:34 AM

I'd get the emac you think you want to change the resolution. This may prove useful if you are running analytical software that looks better in one resolution over another.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2002, 05:02 PM

Well, the eMac is much cheaper, and it has more screen realestate.
but if you're in a research lab, the majority of people there are very much careful around the equipment they use.
Around the labs I've been in, it's just the opposite. Computer equipment gets seriously abused.
It is really a mute point since you can't buy an eMac. As you have asid you are part of a 5 story research lab. That doesn't sound like an educational institute to me and currently Apple is only selling eMacs to educational institutes (Schools, Colleges, and Universities) and students. Unless you are part of a university you don't qualify.
Dunno about this guy, but there are some pretty big congregated lab setups in the big universities.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2002, 01:21 AM

If you can get them, get eMacs.

They're superior machines for a lab environment. CRT's are definitely more durable than LCD's since they don't have a soft surface. Also, the hinge on iMacs is definitely something to be concerned about, especially if there are two iMacs in close proximity to each other.

msykes
Senior User
May 15, 2002, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
<STRONG>Around the labs I've been in, it's just the opposite. Computer equipment gets seriously abused.</STRONG>
Agreed, it's amazing how little respect people have for computers sometimes. We have an iMac LCD here in lab now, and the screen is always being pushed to weird angles, mostly by people just testing how far it will go I think.

Only a matter of time before someone breaks it, the boss says "stupid Macs", where he should say "stupid idiots who don't respect computers".

If you have the space... eMac is probably better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules