Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro - Using External Monitor

Macbook Pro - Using External Monitor
Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2007, 05:33 PM

Attach the monitor, AC power, mouse, and KB. Close the lid to sleep your MBP. Then wake it by pressing a key on the KB. Done.

ChrisF79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2007, 05:57 PM

Greetings:

I just purchased a Macbook Pro and would like to use it with my Samsung LCD. How do I set it up so that I can leave the laptop closed and just use the LCD as my only monitor? So far, when I plug in the LCD, it works as a second monitor. Closing the laptop makes it unusable because the laptop goes to sleep. If anybody could post some instructions on how to do this, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2007, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Attach the monitor, AC power, mouse, and KB. Close the lid to sleep your MBP. Then wake it by pressing a key on the KB. Done.
Whoa simon! Did you predict this question, and post an answer before it was even asked??

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2007, 07:10 PM

I think the time just changed, but yeah, it does look as if Simon is psychic and has foreseen the question
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2007, 04:09 AM

Yeah, I just knew that was question was gonna pop up.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2007, 10:40 PM

try to find a keyboard with a dedicated power button on it though. i found it annoying when i went to turn on my set up to constantly open the lid and press the on button and quickly shut it. i believe belkin makes one

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2007, 12:27 AM

Just out of curiosity, why would you do this? Why not have the joy of using TWO monitors at once?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2007, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
Just out of curiosity, why would you do this? Why not have the joy of using TWO monitors at once?
• No VRAM splitting
• No screen edges in the middle of your workspace
• No mouse pointer running off the edges of your screen
• No more aligning of MBP to the screen or vice-versa every time you hook it up
• No different screens at different heights
• No different screen types (matte, glossy, CRT)
• No need to calibrate one display to match the other

I've heard a whole bunch of reasons why people don't like it. To each his/her own. The freedom to chose is a good thing.

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 01:12 AM

I tried using the dvi to video adapter but I couldn't get the windows to display correctly on the LCD monitor or my MP Pro. Should I get the dvi to vga adapter?

steveclifforduk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 01:52 PM

Personally you cant get much better than having a duel screen setup, main app on 1 and all the tools on the other! With regards to the DVI to VGA adaptor, i have used both DVi to DVI and DVI to VGA and works both times fine, however i do seem to remember needed to restart and then to a detect displays in the Displays setting in System Preferences. But fine every time after that!

Steve

ibook_steve
Nov 15, 2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by steveclifforduk View Post
Personally you cant get much better than having a duel screen setup, main app on 1 and all the tools on the other! With regards to the DVI to VGA adaptor, i have used both DVi to DVI and DVI to VGA and works both times fine, however i do seem to remember needed to restart and then to a detect displays in the Displays setting in System Preferences. But fine every time after that!

Steve
You shouldn't need to restart or detect displays. With a VGA monitor, first attach the DVI to VGA dongle to the monitor cable then connect the dongle to the MBP. The monitor should be detected automatically. If you go the other way (attach dongle first to MBP then attach monitor), then you may need to do a manual detect displays.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules