Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook froze during restart

Powerbook froze during restart
jendmb34
Apr 27, 2004, 03:39 PM

I have a 15" pbook with superdrive, 1 x 512 ram, and got it 11/03.

I installed the Airport Software Update this morning as I was leaving for work, and after it was done installing, it of course restarted. In the midst of the restart process it froze. It froze on the grey screen with the black apple in the middle, with the rotating circular thing underneath. Nothing I pressed worked. Maybe I wasn't pressing the correct thing to unfreeze it, but I ended up pushing the power button and powering down. I then started it back up, and it froze on the same screen. I had to leave for work, but I imagine it's still stuck that way.

This is my first problem with my powerbook. Is there anything I should do in a situation such as this? I haven't downloaded anything out of the ordinary recently, or ever for that matter.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm not all that mac savvy yet, so any help would be appreciated.
( Last edited by jendmb34; Apr 28, 2004 at 08:52 AM. )

vinster
Senior User
Apr 27, 2004, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by jendmb34:
I have a 15" pbook with superdrive, 1 x 512 ram, and got it 11/03.

I installed the Airport Software Update this morning as I was leaving for work, and after it was done installing, it of course restarted. In the midst of the restart process it froze. It froze on the grey screen with the black apple in the middle, with the rotating circular thing underneath. Nothing I pressed worked. Maybe I wasn't pressing the correct thing to unfreeze it, but I ended up pushing the power button and powering down. I then started it back up, and it froze on the same screen. I had to leave for work, but I imagine it's still stuck that way.

This is my first problem with my powerbook. Is there anything I should do in a situation such as this? I haven't downloaded anything out of the ordinary recently, or ever for that matter.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm not all that mac savvy yet, so any help would be appreciated.
I'm having problems since installing the Airport update as well. Twice I've had OS X crash after waking from sleep. Both times the hard drive's not recognised at all (only get a grey screen) and I have to either boot a disk warrior CD or OS X install CD and repair the HD in order to get it working again.

...heading over to Mac FixIt now to see if anyone else has reported similar issues.

Let us know how you get on.

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 06:32 AM

Hold down apple-v at startup, as you might be able to see where it is choking.

Then do a safe boot (forgotten the command - never had to use it) to see if you get it up and running, and allow you to make adjustments.

jendmb34  (op)
Apr 28, 2004, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by vinster:
I'm having problems since installing the Airport update as well. Twice I've had OS X crash after waking from sleep. Both times the hard drive's not recognised at all (only get a grey screen) and I have to either boot a disk warrior CD or OS X install CD and repair the HD in order to get it working again.

...heading over to Mac FixIt now to see if anyone else has reported similar issues.

Let us know how you get on.
i ran the os x install cd and repaired the HD-

everything was fine except for:
volume bitmap needs minor repair

repair attempted on 2 volumes
1 HFS volume repaired
1 volume could not be repaired

Then I ran it again, and it said:
repair attempt on 1 volume
HFS volume repaired

So, I thought it would restart fine. Nope. Froze again on the grey apple screen. I had to hold down the power button to get it to shut off. Then I did the command P and R as it was restarting to "reset the PRAM" as it says in the powerbook manual. I waited for the restart sound again, and then again, it froze on the grey apple screen.

I did the apple - v at startup, but i have no idea what i am looking at there.

I am really upset about this. I have had the computer for 5 months, and when I bought it as my first mac, I expected perfection or close to it, as I spent $2600. I have treated this computer with so much care. When I had problems on PCs, it was usually because I screwed around with them. I also have yet to buy Apple Care and was going to before my year of ownership came up. SO, my 3 months complimentary phone help is up. I really am at a loss on this. Also, I have finals in my MBA program next week and really need this computer

PeterKG
Senior User
Apr 28, 2004, 10:48 AM

I had the same issue and it turned out to be bad ram. Did you buy third party ram? Take the ram out one at a time and see if it boots up fine with one or the other. Ram can go bad. Or if it is not seated properly. Also remove your Airport Card and reseat it too. That can also cause problems.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

jendmb34  (op)
Apr 28, 2004, 12:30 PM

I removed my airport card and reseated it. Nothing.

I upgraded my RAM to 1 x 512 when I bought it on apple.com, so I only have 1 RAM and can't test to see if it's bad...

I have documented in a little more detail everything I have tried here:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

Ugh.

ibook_steve
Apr 28, 2004, 01:33 PM

A gray apple freeze usually indicates a bad software install, which seems to be the case with your Airport update. This is one of those rare occasions (as opposed to Windows) where you may consider reinstalling the OS. Since you said you can successfully boot from the OS X install CD, do an archive and install to preserve all your settings. It shouldn't take more than 20 or 30 minutes. Then run software update and get everything back up to date. You shouldn't lose anything.

Oh, and if you post the text you see when in verbose mode, others here can probably interpret it to figure out where you are dying.

Steve

jendmb34  (op)
Apr 28, 2004, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by ibook_steve:
A gray apple freeze usually indicates a bad software install, which seems to be the case with your Airport update. This is one of those rare occasions (as opposed to Windows) where you may consider reinstalling the OS. Since you said you can successfully boot from the OS X install CD, do an archive and install to preserve all your settings. It shouldn't take more than 20 or 30 minutes. Then run software update and get everything back up to date. You shouldn't lose anything.

Oh, and if you post the text you see when in verbose mode, others here can probably interpret it to figure out where you are dying.

Steve
Well, this sounds somewhat more promising than other things I've read. I don't know if what I've done is considered a successful boot. I can load the install and restore cd, and I could select my hard drive to restart with. However, during restart it freezes again. I can't get into my computer. How would I archive my data? The only stuff I really worry about are my pictures from trips and such, that i have not backed up. I now know to back up and OFTEN. I could go in and reinstall OS X now, but I worry that I will lose everything since I can't get in and archive my data and settings.

Here is the text from verose (verbose) mode below:

Standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us
Vm_page_bootstrap: 125879 free pages
Mig_table_max_displ = 68
IOKit Component Version 7.3:
Fri mar 4 14:18 PST 2004; root(rbuilder):RELEASE_PPC/iokit/RELEASE
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

Using 1310 buffer headers and 1310 cluster buffer headers
IOPCCard info: Mac OSX PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.22
IOPCCard info: options: [pci] [cardbus] [pnp]
IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC probe:
IOPCCard info: TI 1510 rev 00 PCI-to-CardBus phys mem 0xa0004000 virt mem 0x1abdc000
IOPCCard info: host ops [0]: [pci only] [pci irq 255] [lat 16/32] [bus 1/1]
IOPCCard info: PCI card interrupts, PCI status changes
CSRHIDTransitionDriver:: probe
CSRHIDTransitionDriver::start before command
CSRHIDTransitionDriver::start kIOUSBPipeStalled = e000404f
Local FireWire GUID = 0xa95ff:0xfecd8c92
ADB present:8c
CSRHIDTransitionDriver::start after command � e00002ed
Security auditing service present
BSM auditing present
From path: �/pci@f4000000/ata-6@D/@0:9,\mach_kernel�, Waiting on <dict ID= �0�><key>IOPathMatch</key><string ID=�1�>IODeviceTree:/pci@f4000000/ata-6@D/@0:9</string><dict>
Got boot device = IOService:/<acRISC2PE/pci@f000000/AppleMacRiscPCI/ata-6@D/AppleKauaiATA/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATABLockStorageDriver/IOATABLockStorageDevice/IOBLockStorageDriver/Hitachi IC25N080ATMR04-0 Media/IOApplePartitionScheme/Untitled@9 BSD root: disk0s9, major 14, minor 9

ibook_steve
Apr 28, 2004, 02:21 PM

Anytime you can get to anywhere you can click anything, that's a successful boot! I don't mean to archive your data. When you do an OS install, you can select the option to do an install called "Archive and Install." You get to choose this option when you push the options button on the install screen where you select which drive to install to in the Mac OS X installer. Archive and install creates a clean install of the operating system, but archives and moves over all your account information, documents and preferences. You wouldn't lose anything. It puts the old OS into a folder at the top level of your hard drive called, conveniently enough, "Previous Systems," which can be thrown away once you've established that your new install works OK.

As for your verbose output, that, indeed, could be a hard drive problem. When you run the Mac OS installer from the CD, run disk utility again and see if you still get errors. If it repairs successfully, install the OS. If it doesn't, you may want to see if you can get your hands on another machine with Firewire so you can set your machine up in Firewire target disk mode to get your stuff off the disk. A search on the forum about target disk mode will help you out.

Steve

Originally posted by jendmb34:
Well, this sounds somewhat more promising than other things I've read. I don't know if what I've done is considered a successful boot. I can load the install and restore cd, and I could select my hard drive to restart with. However, during restart it freezes again. I can't get into my computer. How would I archive my data? The only stuff I really worry about are my pictures from trips and such, that i have not backed up. I now know to back up and OFTEN. I could go in and reinstall OS X now, but I worry that I will lose everything since I can't get in and archive my data and settings.

Here is the text from verose (verbose) mode below:

Standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us
Vm_page_bootstrap: 125879 free pages
Mig_table_max_displ = 68
IOKit Component Version 7.3:
Fri mar 4 14:18 PST 2004; root(rbuilder):RELEASE_PPC/iokit/RELEASE
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

Using 1310 buffer headers and 1310 cluster buffer headers
IOPCCard info: Mac OSX PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.22
IOPCCard info: options: [pci] [cardbus] [pnp]
IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC probe:
IOPCCard info: TI 1510 rev 00 PCI-to-CardBus phys mem 0xa0004000 virt mem 0x1abdc000
IOPCCard info: host ops [0]: [pci only] [pci irq 255] [lat 16/32] [bus 1/1]
IOPCCard info: PCI card interrupts, PCI status changes
CSRHIDTransitionDriver:: probe
CSRHIDTransitionDriver::start before command
CSRHIDTransitionDriver::start kIOUSBPipeStalled = e000404f
Local FireWire GUID = 0xa95ff:0xfecd8c92
ADB present:8c
Security auditing service present
BSM auditing present
From path: �/pci@f4000000/ata-6@D/@0:9,\mach_kernel�, Waiting on <dict ID= �0�><key>IOPathMatch</key><string ID=�1�>IODeviceTree:/pci@f4000000/ata-6@D/@0:9</string><dict>
Got boot device = IOService:/<acRISC2PE/pci@f000000/AppleMacRiscPCI/ata-6@D/AppleKauaiATA/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATABLockStorageDriver/IOATABLockStorageDevice/IOBLockStorageDriver/Hitachi IC25N080ATMR04-0 Media/IOApplePartitionScheme/Untitled@9 BSD root: disk0s9, major 14, minor 9

jendmb34  (op)
Apr 28, 2004, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by ibook_steve:
Anytime you can get to anywhere you can click anything, that's a successful boot! I don't mean to archive your data. When you do an OS install, you can select the option to do an install called "Archive and Install." You get to choose this option when you push the options button on the install screen where you select which drive to install to in the Mac OS X installer. Archive and install creates a clean install of the operating system, but archives and moves over all your account information, documents and preferences. You wouldn't lose anything. It puts the old OS into a folder at the top level of your hard drive called, conveniently enough, "Previous Systems," which can be thrown away once you've established that your new install works OK.

As for your verbose output, that, indeed, could be a hard drive problem. When you run the Mac OS installer from the CD, run disk utility again and see if you still get errors. If it repairs successfully, install the OS. If it doesn't, you may want to see if you can get your hands on another machine with Firewire so you can set your machine up in Firewire target disk mode to get your stuff off the disk. A search on the forum about target disk mode will help you out.

Steve
wow, i am running the "archive and install" and i am so nervous. thanks so much for your help. fingers crossed that this works.

jendmb34  (op)
Apr 28, 2004, 03:08 PM

by the way, i ran the disk utility again and there were no errors.

jendmb34  (op)
Apr 28, 2004, 03:43 PM

Steve-

I cannot thank you enough. I just ran the archive and install and everything came up perfect, just as it was all set up before. I restarted and it restarted fine. I am so happy!! No idea what it was though...

Are you into Dave Matthews Band at all? I could send you some cds of shows as a thank you.

Thanks again,
Jen

ibook_steve
Apr 28, 2004, 09:56 PM

Not really into Dave Matthews, but no thanks is necessary. Working day in and day out with these machines, you end up knowing a lot about them.

Glad to hear things are now working for you!

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules