Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Macbook - Doesn't always play commercial DVDs

New Macbook - Doesn't always play commercial DVDs
alon99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2006, 10:20 AM

Hi Everyone,

I picked up my white 2.0GHz Macbook last night. I love it, it's definitely the best computer I've ever owned!

I've had one issue with it so far... Sometimes when I insert a commercial DVD it won't mount. The DVD Player application can't play it, and neither can Front Row. There was an error about this being an unsupported disc.

I rebooted, and it started working fine, but then the problem came back. Another reboot fixed it, but I just wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing this same issue.

Thanks,

Alon

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 25, 2006, 11:33 AM

What DVD was it?

craigb6
May 25, 2006, 11:40 AM

Could it be that the DVDs were from different regions?

wilsonng
Senior User
May 25, 2006, 12:36 PM

sometimes the DVD may wobble and isn't properly aligned inside the internal slot-loading optical drive
When I'm at my desk, I usually use my external FireWire DVD-R drive which uses a tray loader. I usually reserve using the internal optical drive when I'm on the road.

The tray loader seems to be more reliable for me....
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

alon99  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2006, 01:19 PM

I tried a variety of different commercial discs, and they all played fine on another system, as well as a hardware player. They're all from Region 1, so that isn't the issue.

If it happens again, I'll report on it in more detail. I was just trying to avoid a trip back to the Apple store.

A few of the discs were:

Amelie
O Brother Where Art Thou
The Producers

j0nkatz
Jun 3, 2006, 11:31 PM

I just tried Chapelle Show Season 2 and it does the same thing to me.

unix
Jun 4, 2006, 02:34 AM

yeah i had the same issue, but it was only with one dvd. i think it's probably coz the dvd is overly scratched or the slot-loadin drive is very sensitive to scratches, since the dvd played on my thinkpad. however, the funny part is, it wouldn't play on my frnd's fujitsu either. i'm thinkin it's something to do with the dvd-drives itself.

j0nkatz
Jun 4, 2006, 10:03 AM

Weird, a reboot solved my issue with that DVD.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 4, 2006, 10:11 AM

Be warned that some DVDs will refuse to play on some computers because their copy protection systems are not supported by the computer drive's firmware or the player software (usually the latter). Some stand alone DVD players also have problems with such DVDs. There were Windows updates to address playing specific Disney DVDs because Disney played around with their copy protection. With that in mind, if a SPECIFIC DVD refuses to play when others work fine, do a search for the title and something like "problems playing" to see whether or not it's a common issue-and if there's a fix!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules