Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Copy iMac Software Restore DVD

Copy iMac Software Restore DVD
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2006, 04:21 AM

I Googled a bit and didn't find a definitive answer, so I thought I'd try asking here: Does anybody know if it works to just copy the install DVD from an iMac (Core Duo, for those who care) with Disk Utility? Or is there something else I should use? I've found a pretty good deal on a used one, but it's lacking the disc, so I'd need to copy one of the discs at work if I were to buy it. I just want to make sure I don't wind up borking the EFI setup portion or anything. Any knowledge would be appreciated.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2006, 05:30 AM

It should work, although you may need a DL DVD to make a complete copy.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 8, 2006, 12:35 PM

Tip: in Disk Utility, when making a disc image, don't select the named partition. Instead, pick the drive name and make an image of that. That will then include Apple Hardware Test.

tooki

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2006, 12:34 AM

Thank you, guys. That's good to know.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 05:06 AM

I love disc utility - on Windows when ever I wanted to copy a commercial disc, it would fail due to copy-writing. With disc utility, it really doesn't seem to care about any copyrighting etc, it just goes ahead and makes an exact copy....
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 9, 2006, 01:19 PM

Hah! Not really. Disk Utility can't copy copy-protected discs. We just don't have many of them on the Mac. For example, Final Cut Pro discs are very difficult to copy.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules