Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 3G to analog audio cable

iPhone 3G to analog audio cable
Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2008, 11:55 PM

Greetings,

I currently have a cable in my car that connects to the back of my car stereo with analog audio (red and white RCA connectors), and has a dock connector at the other end that I used to connect my iPod to. I was disappointed to discover the dock connector doesn't work with the iPhone 3G - the phone just plays sound through it's speaker instead of sending it through the dock connector to the stereo. So, I'm looking for a replacement. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Basically, I want the Apple Component AV Cable but without the video or the $50 pricetag.

If I can't find one, I'll just replace it with a headphone to analog audio cable (easy enough to find); at one time though, I was told that using the dock connector would result in superior sound quality and levels. Maybe that's no longer true, however.

Thanks in advance.
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2008, 12:05 AM

Cheap solution: get a RCA to stereo plug cable like this:

It's not ideal, because you are using a headphone signal and use it as a line level signal, but it works ok.

Second option (better sound) would be to buy a car charger with line out like the Griffin Autopilot:

-t

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 23, 2008, 01:40 AM

I know of no solution cheaper than the Apple AV cable, but what I'd suggest is the Car Charger Deluxe I mention below, which costs the same but is designed for the car.

AutoPilot is not iPhone compatible and will probably not charge a 3G. Griffin currently has no iPhone-compatible car kits with auxiliary out, only FM transmitter. Kensington makes a few 3G-compatible alternatives, such as the LiquidAUX (corded version) (cradle version here) which gives you a steering wheel remote for the iPod functions and the Car Charger Deluxe which is a cradle charger with aux out.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2008, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
AutoPilot is not iPhone compatible and will probably not charge a 3G.
Oops, my bad.

Darn Apple for changing the design that breaks all the old chargers.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2008, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by xiaobaimao2008 View Post
SPAM
You effing moron.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules