Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Selectively syncing MacBook with massive Mac Pro music library?

Selectively syncing MacBook with massive Mac Pro music library?
damiensmunki
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2008, 10:17 PM

Is it in any way possible to sync a MacBook with an iTunes library on a Mac Pro? I'm imagining something that would allow me to select playlists to be synced to the MB, kind of like syncing playlists with an iPod? I just trying to figure out the best way to simply transfer and change out music on my MacBook. I'd like it to function like a large iPod, so I can just use my headphones with one device when I'm using the MB. Thanks for any help.
Rob

damiensmunki  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2008, 02:53 AM

You guys have any clue? Possible at all?

cms
Senior User
Feb 9, 2008, 06:09 AM

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2009, 04:38 PM

Has anyone had much experience with TuneRanger? It's on sale for $20.

kelchm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2009, 10:58 PM

I'm currently using a macbook but I'll probably be getting a Mac Pro in the coming months.

So, I've been thinking about how I would like to accomplish this as well. The added problem for me is that my music is mostly in ALAC (lossless), so I really need to transcode the files and /then/ sync them.

In the little research I've done it seems there is no stand alone solution for this, so I may have to throw some scripts together to accomplish this.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 24, 2009, 11:16 PM

What about setting up different libraries on the MB? You hold the Option key when you start iTunes and get the option to choose or create another library. Make the new library and choose as much of your humongous MP library as you want, with the option to "copy files to iTunes music folder" turned off. Since this library will not be the default library, you can run iTunes on the MacBook on the go without any problem, but when you are at home, you can connect to the Mac Pro and use all of its library without actually importing any files. I'm working on this same sort of thing with my 27+GB master library and the much smaller one I keep on my MBP (and the iPod Nano 2G I sync with it).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tedlow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2009, 10:53 PM

Have you guys tried SuperSync? I find it a great iTunes synching device. It’s working great for me and my family to merge music between our computers to create a master library around the house.

Check it out for yourself. You can download it for free:

http://supersync.com/

kelchm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2009, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by tedlow View Post
Have you guys tried SuperSync? I find it a great iTunes synching device. It’s working great for me and my family to merge music between our computers to create a master library around the house.

Check it out for yourself. You can download it for free:

http://supersync.com/
This woks well for many people I'm sure. But it doesn't solve the issue of how to deal with a large lossless library like I have.

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2009, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by pcryan5 View Post
Has anyone had much experience with TuneRanger? It's on sale for $20.
Answering my own question here - TuneRanger is pretty lame. The sync sort of works sometimes maybe - the extra utilities (dup remover and cover art finder) are close to useless.

Forum Links
Forum Rules