Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Candy Bar 2.0

Candy Bar 2.0
fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2004, 01:50 PM

its out. new stuff. application icon switching (yay!).

http://iconfactory.com/

blackdog12345
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2004, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
its out. new stuff. application icon switching (yay!).

http://iconfactory.com/
coolness i'll download it now
No longer posting

RimshotDesign
Oct 7, 2004, 01:59 PM

thx to informe

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2004, 01:59 PM

Use the search feature! http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=231085

While it's cool that the ability is there now, that's just too much work for anybody. You can never replace every icon anyway.

I'm happy with full system replacements (I only see app icons on the Applications folder anyway...)

fireside  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2004, 02:03 PM

well i have some bad news for all of us in the shapeshifter beta program. candybar 2 won't work with the beta we have now! go cry to jason.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2004, 02:04 PM

You should have kept it a secret.

You're delaying 1.3

Komisar
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 02:14 PM

Nice thanks!

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 02:48 PM

FREAKIN AWESOME

but, making a complete icon set is now nearly impossible *sigh*
also sad to hear it doesnt work with ss 1.3 *double sigh*

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 05:00 PM

well i have some bad news for all of us in the shapeshifter beta program. candybar 2 won't work with the beta we have now! go cry to jason.
NOOOOOOO! Now I'm gonna need to wait even longer! Damn you CandyBar 2!

BTW who do I need to suck up to to become a SS beta tester? smeger? I might need to practice my ass kissing. (Just kidding)

idle
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2004, 05:01 PM

Not good. Is it now Iconfactory vs. Unsanity?

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2004, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by idle:
It's a bug, not a feud...

smeger
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by idle:
Nope, just a mistake.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 06:35 PM

Dude... a public forum is NOT the place to talk about that. Jason has a forum for that reason...
click one

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 06:59 PM

Well, ya have to consider the source....

Holigen
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 08:26 PM

Thx for the info.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2004, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by digitaljames:
Well, ya have to consider the source....
We should have a separate "fireside" forum methinks.
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2004, 10:33 PM

I am disgusted at this charging for upgrades ********. I haven't owned Candybar for very long and now I have to pay again? What the ****. You're not winning any friends, Panic and the Iconfactory.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2004, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
I am disgusted at this charging for upgrades ********. I haven't owned Candybar for very long and now I have to pay again? What the ****. You're not winning any friends, Panic and the Iconfactory.
Yeah, I wasn't exactly thrilled by that either ...
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

crooner
Senior User
Oct 7, 2004, 11:08 PM

I think you'll find yourself in the minority. This is the FIRST paid upgrade to CB since v1.0. That's going on about two years, now. With what these guys have added to it, I think $7 is quite a bargain.

If you feel you purchased the application too recently to warrant an upgrade fee, contact Panic/Iconfactory to see if they have a 'grandfather" clause.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

fireside  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2004, 11:51 PM

if you bought it after sept. 1 its free.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2004, 01:56 AM

As I see it, CandyBar 2 addresses some resources that ShapeShifter 1.2 does too, like application toolbars. Will there be conflicts and/or compatibility issues ?
I'd love to install CB2, but just how safe will that be ?

chezpaul
Senior User
Oct 8, 2004, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by Gerrit Vanoppen:
As I see it, CandyBar 2 addresses some resources that ShapeShifter 1.2 does too, like application toolbars. Will there be conflicts and/or compatibility issues ?
I'd love to install CB2, but just how safe will that be ?
yeah... firesire (who's on my ignore list) was talking about the beta of Shapeshifter 1.3 I assume.

I didn't realise it was a payable upgrade... I just bought it.. they're stupid. I don't need to pay for the apps thing. I've been doing it myself fine... It's too many icons anyway.

On my second launch it had my go through all my icons asking me if I was sure I wanted to use that one or the backup one.. sucked... I hope I can downgrade... Anyone tried ?
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

mac15
Senior User
Oct 8, 2004, 02:28 AM

First rule of fightclub....

crooner
Senior User
Oct 8, 2004, 05:42 PM

I've found a possibly very annoying bug...
If you want to change an application's icon through CB, the application must reside in /Applications. I leave that folder for the stock applications that Apple installs. I place all other applications in a folder in my home directory. I�ve been futzing around with CB for a little while here and I can't seem to get it to look at any other folder than the root level Applications. Kind of a drag!

I'm not sorry I paid the upgrade fee. It's just that I feel I did it to support future development and not so much for new (and useful) features.

If anyone knows a way around this, please lemme know.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2004, 07:05 PM

Have to pay again? Why do you have to pay again? You don't have to have Candybar 2.0 you know. Candybar 1.0 still works, right?

I've had an iMac for a very long time. There's a brand new version now that's better but I'm not pissed at Apple because I have to pay to upgrade to it. It is an improved product. If I want it, I must pay for it. If I dont, I don't have to ******* buy it, do I? Why is paying for an upgrade unfair?

I don't get it.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

fireside  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2004, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by mac15:
First rule of fightclub....
shaddup

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2004, 07:13 PM

I think this is a significant enough upgrade to justify a small fee, and the amount they're charging is reasonable. Heck, the amount they charge for the whole product is a good deal too.

monsoonstorm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 09:48 PM

I've had candybar for a long time now, and I think $7 is not all that much to be asking... I would pay it even if I hadn't had it long. I think my candybar will be used more often now, with the app switching and the no logout thing. I'm really looking forward to it! (I'm about to download now) Candybar and Pixadex are two of my top three software apps (sorry, konfabulator comes top!)

MonsoonStorm

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2004, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by crooner:
If you want to change an application's icon through CB, the application must reside in /Applications. I leave that folder for the stock applications that Apple installs. I place all other applications in a folder in my home directory. I�ve been futzing around with CB for a little while here and I can't seem to get it to look at any other folder than the root level Applications. Kind of a drag!
I'm not sorry I paid the upgrade fee. It's just that I feel I did it to support future development and not so much for new (and useful) features.
If anyone knows a way around this, please lemme know.
Just opened the demo, and saw the same. To be honest, it's exactly what's keeping me from upgrading yet (the price being no issue at all for me).
Since many apps reside in their own folders alongside their plugins, templates, etc., I fear you can't just drag them out to the root level of the /Applications folder. Have you tried using their aliases ?
If we could only drag 'n drop our apps to the CB window (basically that's how most CB modules work nowadays).

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2004, 02:29 PM

I have it on good authority that the 2.01 update to Candybar fully addresses this issue, although it is not mentioned in release notes (not on MacUpdate anyway).
So everyone can dry their eyes and look forward to SS1.3 and all the goodness that will come with it hopefully pretty soon.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2004, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
I have it on good authority that the 2.01 update to Candybar fully addresses this issue, although it is not mentioned in release notes (not on MacUpdate anyway).
So everyone can dry their eyes and look forward to SS1.3 and all the goodness that will come with it hopefully pretty soon.
Tsk tsk. It's going to be ShapeShifter 2.0 now.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2004, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by justinp:
Tsk tsk. It's going to be ShapeShifter 2.0 now.
Oh yeah sorry. I did know that. Forgot. That's gonna cause a few hearts to skip amongst those yearning for Omega, huh?

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2004, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by crooner:
Just installed CB 2.0.1. The wells in the Applications list are not just the /Applications root level, but the search seems rather inconsistent. Here's a few examples :

/App/Microsoft Office 2004/Microsoft Excel isn't listed...
/App/AppleWorks 6 Eng/AppleWorks 6 is listed...
/App/VectorWorks 11.0 US/VectorWorks isn't listed...

all above are installed properly from original CD

/App/�GUI software/CandyBar 2.0.1/CandyBar is listed...

the above �GUI... is my own naming

Has anyone found a workaround already ?
BTW
The ones that work seem like a safe replacement to me, so far.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2004, 07:27 AM

Sort of trying to answer my own question, or at least shed some light on it.

It appears some app's don't let you open their package content through a Control-click. It's the same bunch that aren't listed in the CB2 App tab.
Wonder what the solution to this can be, if any ?

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 01:56 AM

Final answer came from people at Panic - my thanks go to Les Pozdena.
Here's the quote :

Excel and VectorWorks probably aren't listed because they are Carbon apps and not Cocoa packages. Candybar needs to be able to get into the application package to find the icon file to change.

You can check if an application is a Cocoa package by holding down the control key and clicking the app. If "Show Package Contents" appears in the popup menu, it should be listed in Candybar.

Forum Links
Forum Rules