Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Shapeshifter questions...

Shapeshifter questions...
Wafflestomper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2004, 04:17 PM

Shapeshifter folks-
So, I just started using Shapeshifter, which is a great piece of software, but I was wondering if anyone else had some of the same usability thoughts as I do. I was thinking that it'd be great to be able to have a menuling (optional of course) that you could select your choice of themes, or package of theme/background/icon set/cursor set. Has this thought been raised before, anyone else think it's a good idea?

On a related note, is the SS pref pane apple-scriptable (I could just use Butler to create said menuling easily if it was)?

FB Eye
Senior User
Nov 2, 2004, 04:51 PM

Yes, some kind of way to "save" a certain set-up would be cool. Like when you mix 'n match different themes with other cursors and specific iContainers...

And I'm still hoping for Xounds compatibility. I honestly think that soundsets would be a nice addition to themes. After desktops, cursors and icons, sound is the natural next step for ShapeShifter.

Wadda ya think smeger? Thanks!!!

Wafflestomper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2004, 07:38 PM

Yeah, I think Xounds would be the obvious next step, and a fun addition of course. Anyone know about scriptability?

AlbanianGenome
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2004, 08:36 PM

sounds are just downright annoying I think in the OS these days.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by AlbanianGenome:
I know, after about 4 years of using X and and not having system sounds, I think I'd go nuts hearing them again. But as long as using sounds is an option, I'm all for the Xounds integration.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

smeger
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 10:02 PM

The SS prefpane isn't explicitly scriptable, but you may be able to script it using the new-to-Panther accessibility API scripting stuff that lets you script things button-by-button.

I'm paying attention to your suggestions, by the way, even if I don't comment on them.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2004, 10:32 PM

I too would like Xounds integration.
I've always wanted all the haxies to combine into one, and that seems to be the way it is going. I was worried about how that may work, given that each one can be purchased seperately and already have been by many many people, but the way it works with mightymouse seems cool; you need to have that particular haxie for that feature to work. I would go with that.

The only problem is that I can see few themers putting in the extra effort to make a soundset, plus GUIkits would just get bigger and bigger, but who really cares about that these days?

I also agree with custom settings suggestion.
I think it would be cool to have "Save Settings" and "Load Settings" buttons, so that a user may choose for example "Theme-Exec, Icons-Lutetium, Cursors-Somatic, Desktop Picture-Fear Platinum 3" and then save that particular combination for future use. A user could then have a different combination to match their mood, or their location (home/work/college), or the season or whatever.

Maybe if that were implemented, a further step could be to have a "login randomizer�"
that would choose a set of custom settings at random upon login.

iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

Wafflestomper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2004, 12:14 AM

yeah, ozzpot, that's exactly what I was thinking. either, get to select a saved grouping based on mood/location and/or having random theme set when you log in or whatever. That would be great.

Smeger, thanks for keeping tabs on our thoughts, I'll give scripting manually a shot. I remember seeing some discussion of using applescript that way, I'll see what I can do. That plus butler ought to take care of it. Keep you posted if I get something working.
( Last edited by Wafflestomper; Nov 3, 2004 at 10:12 PM. )

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2004, 12:35 AM

My only suggestion is a drop down menu for the download section rather than a next button. Having to scroll through an unknown number of themes isn't as convenient as a menu would be.

otherwise

idle
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2004, 07:12 AM

Well, regarding the idea of including sounds...

I was going to do this for "Sweet Slumber" but did not find the time to work on this. Nevertheless including sounds is really a different story from all the other graphical work. You need skills in sound editing and design and i'm not sure how many themers are willing to sacrifice even more of their rare spare time to learn something as complicated as this...

FB Eye
Senior User
Nov 3, 2004, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by AlbanianGenome:
I think that it's just a matter of dosage. I remember that some soundsets back in OS 9 days where downright offensive, while others where subtle enough to blend in perfectly...

And it's true that not all themers would go to extra length to include soundsets, but since I own Xounds I'd like to be able to make a soundset to match my favorite theme and load it directly in SS. And if a themer includes a soundset, well it's all just better for me!

At this point, it's just a matter of integrating another Unsanity haxie to SS. If you didn't like Xounds then, it won't matter to you anyway. But if you use Xounds like I do, I'd definitely go hurray for that

Back in the K2 days, when BBX released BBX Platinum he included sounds to match the scheme. I can only imagine how cooler BBX Omega will be if a cool soundset is included to match the [future feature prediction] animated widgets and buttons [/future feature prediction]. It would make themes so much more dynamic and fun to interact with...

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 12:26 PM

It would make themes so much more dynamic and fun to interact with...
and so much more processesor intensive, themes are great and all but if it eats up ur processesor just sitting there then how is that usable? Not everyone is using a g5 all the time, maybe tiger's new GPU will be able to handle animated widgets etc, but not as of now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules