Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Webcam in MacBook kills the internet connection.

Webcam in MacBook kills the internet connection.
Sörnäinen
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2007, 03:22 PM

As soon as the webcam starts working - with PhotoBooth or used as a webcam - the internect connection is totally blocked.

As soon as i stop the webcam, everything is back to normal.

What can THAT be and what can i do to repair that problem?

Very thankful for any hint you can give me!

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2007, 03:55 PM

Do you mean using the internet on other computers suffers while the webcam is on, or the MacBook's performance decreases?

When using the camera as a webcam, internet performance is expected to decrease as your bandwidth is used to broadcast the video.

Are you sure the internet connection slows down when using Photobooth?
This signature is obsolete.

Sörnäinen  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2007, 03:59 PM

The MacBooks Internet connection totally breaks down.
I don´t even get a ping through while the webcam is working, and it´s really about the working camera, also in photobooth.

I tested it out: As soon as i activate the cam, the Internet connection is totally blocked.

It´s definitely totally weird.

Cold Warrior
Oct 27, 2007, 04:11 PM

what OS version are you using?

ibook_steve
Oct 28, 2007, 02:55 AM

What kind of Internet connection do you have? Test its speed with a speed test at dslreports.com and report back.

If you have dial-up and you're trying to do video, then you have other problems. ;-)

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Sörnäinen  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2007, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
what OS version are you using?
Leopard, but it has been the same with Tiger. I have been testing around why the internet connection is breaking down from time to time - and now i found out it stops as soon as i start the webcam.

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
What kind of Internet connection do you have? Test its speed with a speed test at dslreports.com and report back.

If you have dial-up and you're trying to do video, then you have other problems. ;-)
DSL 6000 - the connection works totally fine and is fast enough, but as soon as i start the webcam, there is not SLOW connection left, but NO connection.

It really breaks down. And it also happens if i am using the cam with PhotoBooth without sending anything to the Web.

I am really wondering what kind of problem this is... does the Webcam use ports that interfere with the Internet connection? Or can it be a hardware problem - perhaps the cam kills the WLAN intermission?

Forum Links
Forum Rules