Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Salary Negotiations

Salary Negotiations
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 4, 2008, 09:27 PM

I'm just curious as to how companies typically handle this. I had a second job interview on-site with a company I hope to work for upon graduation this month. Things seemed to go really well and I expect a job offer in the next week or so. My question, frankly, is how to negotiate for the best salary without coming across as a money-hungry ass and losing the job offer. On top of the base starting salary, the position I'm applying for includes a lot of travel, and compensation for that travel (depending on number of trips, location, danger, length of stay, etc.) typically adds an extra 50% of the salary to the worker's total income, but some motivated people have been known to double their base salary.

I'm just wondering how negotiations work. Is it typically a take-it-or-leave-it deal, or is there haggling? Does it just depend on the company?

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2008, 10:14 PM

It depends on a lot of factors. I personally believe that if it is the job you want, the initial offer fair and in line with what the going salary is, take it. I also believe that the money will come with the right job. I have never been disappointed with that philosophy.
macforray

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2008, 11:50 PM

Travel like Iraq or travel like Des Moines?

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 5, 2008, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Travel like Iraq or travel like Des Moines?
Travel like Saudi Arabia, Abu Dhabi, The Netherlands, Moscow, Italy, Australia, Singapore, Tokyo, China, etc.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2008, 03:19 AM

The ability to negotiate a salary deal comes with a proven track record. As a first time hire you are going to need to prove yourself as a committed and valued member of the company.

In terms of your starting salary negotiation would be hard.

Look at the salary on offer and compare it in the market. If it looks reasonable (taking travel etc into account) then take it. A company offering industry standard wages will likely act fairly come renegotiaon time. A company that sets out to exploit it's workforce through low salaries at the get go will continue to do this.

I have never been a believer in "jam tomorrow*". In my experience any company or person that resorts to this carrot has no intention of following through. Look for fairness and build on that with talent and dedication.

* apart from small startups, which are all about jam tomorrow, however they will normally back this up with solid stock options as a sign of good faith.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2008, 04:51 AM

I have negotiated salary for every grownup job I have ever had. Sometimes I got something out of it, and sometimes I didn't. I've never had an original offer withdrawn because I asked for more.

You are in a difficult position. You don't have a track record and the economy sucks. But you definitely will not get a better offer if you don't ask. Just be respectful and realistic- and if they say no, so be it.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2008, 07:27 PM

Most companies have a range for each open position. They make offers within the range depending on the candidate's experience. So, follow Paco's advice above. If the offer is already at the top of their range, they're likely to say "no". But, if there's room within the range and you dazzled them during the interview process, they may give you a little bump. Basically, asking politely can't hurt.

design219
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2008, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Travel like Saudi Arabia, Abu Dhabi, The Netherlands, Moscow, Italy, Australia, Singapore, Tokyo, China, etc.
Dude, don't risk losing this opportunity by pushing. A job with this kind of travel could be a lot fun, for a least a couple of years.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2008, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Dude, don't risk losing this opportunity by pushing. A job with this kind of travel could be a lot fun, for a least a couple of years.
That's what I was thinking. The salary+travel bonus+frequent flier miles+benefits is pretty incredible, too.

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2008, 10:20 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what will you be doing?
This signature is obsolete.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2008, 11:03 PM

In running a company, I've only once come across an applicant who had their offer withdrawn due to salary negotiations. But his *demands* were so absurdly out of the ballpark that we could not take him seriously anymore.

If they give you a number, tell them you'd like a number 10% higher. 9 times out of 10 you'll at least get 5% if you're worth it.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2008, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gilpin View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what will you be doing?
The official title is Field Engineer - the job is travelling to the company's customers troubleshooting current systems and installing and optimizing new systems, saving them millions of dollars in the process.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2008, 11:24 PM

Say hi to the good people of Abu Dhabi for me!

Forum Links
Forum Rules