Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > MacNN to join Apple's News app with debut of iOS 9

MacNN to join Apple's News app with debut of iOS 9
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 8, 2015, 02:27 PM

One of the least-publicized features of iOS 9 is an all-new app from Apple called News, that attempts to provide a beautiful reading experience for many top publishers and independent news sites that gets away from the traditional "website" look and style. MacNN is pleased to announce that we will be among the select sites joining News when it debuts with the public release of iOS 9, possibly as early as tomorrow.

We've been aware for some time that reading our site on mobile devices can sometimes (particularly on smaller iPhones) be challenging, and we have long relied on Safari's built-in Reader view to help make the content here more readable and enjoyable on iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad mini (along with other smartphones and mobile devices). While a redesign of the site overall is in the works, we feel that our presence on News will both bridge the mobile gap in the short-term, as well as (hopefully) encourage our loyal readers and new visitors alike to use the new app to better enjoy our articles, columns, features, podcasts and those of other great tech and Apple news sites on their mobile devices.

Apple describes the News app as a new fixture on the home screen in iOS 9 that "conveniently collects all the stories you want to read, from top news sources, based on topics you're most interested in -- so you no longer need to move from app to app to stay informed. News also combines the rich and immersive design found in print with the interactivity of digital media, letting you enjoy stunningly crafted articles just how the publisher intended."

"Content is optimized for both iPhone and iPad, so you'll have a great reading experience no matter which device you're using," the company notes. " Users can explore over a million topics, and choose the ones you want to add to your favorites so you can get the news that interests them. "The more you read, the more personalized the News app becomes, refining the selection of stories delivered to your screen so they are relevant to you." Readers can easily share articles with others, and save them to read offline as with web content in the current Reader view.

Once iOS 9 is released, we'll share ways to access the new MacNN feed in News, and how to save it as a favorite for easy mobile access on all your devices.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 8, 2015 at 03:06 PM. )

mindwaves
Sep 8, 2015, 03:37 PM

How nice. I will definitely be using the News app and using MacNN with it also.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Sep 8, 2015, 03:48 PM

Yay!

slapppy
Sep 8, 2015, 03:55 PM

Can't wait to use it.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2015, 03:57 PM

Congratulations!

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2015, 05:44 PM

Will definitely check it out

wireboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2015, 08:45 PM

The News app is really nice and I expect it will be a great way to get my MacNN! Looking forward to it!

section34
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2015, 09:22 PM

great job and congratulations!

iSkippy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2015, 12:35 AM

Cool!

No, wait...no News app in Canada (yet). Bummer.

djbeta
Sep 9, 2015, 07:06 AM

With the addition of this News app and probable "news" of Apple getting into gaming in a big way with Apple TV (perhaps with force touch on iPhone as a controller.. taptic feedback perhaps??.. that would be cool I think...)....

It's clear as day that Apple is moving in some incredibly smart and simple new directions. Great times ahead for Apple's bottom line, I think. Apps like Newsify, BBC News, AP news, and formerly, Instapaper have utterly dominated the list of apps I actually use every day. Thanks for paying attention, Apple.

And, regarding Apple Music, I will say, it has it's issues, but I'm LOVING it far more than Spotify and Pandora.. they need to simplify the interface, but it works really well. I've been searching for tons of old classic songs and adding them to My Music and making them "available for offline".. you can do this with whole albums as well. It works really well. The radio stations that you can create based on artist or the pre-suggested ones based on genre are well curated and damn good too. They really should have made it more obvious as to which song is playing in the station, and made it easier to "like" a song or add it to your music while not paying such close attention to your phone and/or computer AND really should have made it easier to do so from the Apple Watch-- maybe this is coming in Watch 2.0 / iOS 9 ? I suggest you all sign up for the 3 month trial and give Apple Music a listen.

I'm very happy to be part of the Apple ecosystem right now. I wish I had more money to invest in Apple. I see it hitting 200 in a year or two.

Forum Links
Forum Rules