Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 100)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2018, 02:38 PM

One thing to consider is the power lines also need to be loaded for the generators to actually work. Unless there's something like tesseracts. Which as OP as they are were developed to reduce lag.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2018, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
I just would prefer to have a small group of chunks loaded and generating power for everyone to use than have each of us building and maintaining our own systems. (Part of this is because a lot of mods are now including chunk loading in their generators... as a server admin I don't like that but as a player I see the logic).
OK, I've given this some thought.

A chunk is 16 x 16 blocks, google tells me. So somewhere near spawn we should build a 16x16 building along chunk lines. 16 x 16 is a healthy size, and if we give each person/team one floor of a building to use that should meet their space needs. If people go solar, we can divide the roof into 4 giving each person 8x8 to cover in solar, which sounds like plenty to me.

Second, we should create a basement where, assuming we have extra utilities, people can place various mills. This means that their GP will be always loaded, even when dimension hopping.

For power transmission, each person group should be 'gifted' wireless transmission to their base, be it flux networks, rftools, or some other mod I'm unfamiliar with.

Now, here's the catch. At least in the early going, I think it's unrealistic to expect people to build their power plants in town. For one, depending on the type of generation, their power sources will likely need to be both monitored and fed. Ex: Any thermal dynamics power sources.

If we're really worried about server load in the early going we could have each person make sure to limit all their power generation (assuming they self-load) into a chunk at their base. Later in the game, if this becomes problematic, we can then relocate set-ups to town, as we'll be much more likely to be able to automate set-ups then.

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
Question: would any of the DireWolf modpacks be do-able?
Aesthetically, I find it a little daunting. I'll have to look at the mod list.

Technically, you'll have to tell me: I'm running an airbook, 1.7 Ghz core i7 with 8GB of RAM. Speaking of which, blaze taught me how to do it in Twitch, but I don't know how to allocate more memory in the vanilla launcher.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2018, 10:14 AM

Its in the JVM arguments.
Code:
-Xmx4096m -Xms256m -XX:PermSize=256m
this is for 4G just set the -Xmx to what you want. Don't do overboard it makes things worse.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Feb 19, 2018, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
OK, I've given this some thought.

A chunk is 16 x 16 blocks, google tells me. So somewhere near spawn we should build a 16x16 building along chunk lines. 16 x 16 is a healthy size, and if we give each person/team one floor of a building to use that should meet their space needs. If people go solar, we can divide the roof into 4 giving each person 8x8 to cover in solar, which sounds like plenty to me.
Hmmmm... I'm beginning to see where you're coming from, and getting an idea of how complicated this is going to get. How about this idea: lag really seems to come into play as we get closer to "end-game" items in the tech tree. Nuclear reactors and the like. How about we keep things status quo for the early and mid game and have a location set aside for big end-game items? The only caveat being we keep our bases a reasonable distance from wherever we agree to setup the group base. Try to keep everyone with a 1km area?

Aesthetically, I find it a little daunting. I'll have to look at the mod list.

Technically, you'll have to tell me: I'm running an airbook, 1.7 Ghz core i7 with 8GB of RAM. Speaking of which, blaze taught me how to do it in Twitch, but I don't know how to allocate more memory in the vanilla launcher.
I'm running a AMD FX-6100 (3.3 Ghz) with 16 GB of RAM. Thing is, for how Minecraft works it's more about the memory than raw processor speed. I was running 8GB for a lot of years (had to up it because I needed to run some VMs). All that said, Direwolf's mod packs have the potential to be HEAVY, but it's mostly based on what you do with it. Take a look at what's in it here:

https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Direwolf20_1.12

-cy

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 20, 2018, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Its in the JVM arguments.
Code:
-Xmx4096m -Xms256m -XX:PermSize=256m
this is for 4G just set the -Xmx to what you want. Don't do overboard it makes things worse.

Forum Links
Forum Rules