Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Poor quality of stock iPod earphones?

Poor quality of stock iPod earphones?
drissa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2005, 09:07 AM

Has anyone else noticed that the stock iPod earphones are rather poor? I'm guessing Apple would like you to buy their more advaced ones, but I don't think of decent sound-quality as an upgrade feature.

I have certain 'low end-heavy' albums which distort the earphones even at 50% volume. No EQ boosts. I've checked the files and they are fine. There is a general graniness at higher volumes and it seems like they simply have rather poor specs. My files are either AAC or high bit-rate mp3s.

I've often been dissapointed that some of Apple's design efforts are rather superficial - it's almost like the earphones are an afterthought.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2005, 11:06 AM

I find the stock earphones pretty durn good.

But then, I'm not so much into "low end heavy" (i.e. bass-heavy) albums.

Generally, I think its fairly universally agreed that for good base, you need an in-ear, or ear-covering style of headphones. There are lots of reviews over at ipodlounge.com if you care to check them out.
cpac

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 12:57 PM

The headphones that come with the iPod are not great, but they are usable. Apple is selling the iPod, and while I agree that they should include better headphones, that would just put the price of the iPod even higher than what it is.

Now consider all the people who have a specific pair of headphones they love and wouldn't use anything else. They are forced to pay the extra money to get headphones they won't even use. Apple offers regular headphones with the iPod, and then they give you the option to buy their higher-end headphones if you'd like (even though I've heard those aren't that good either.)

Personally, I have a pair of sonys that I like so I could care less if Apple didn't even include headphones with the iPod. But if they did that, all the new iPod owners wouldn't even be able to use their brand new iPod because there aren't any headphones.

So the only option I see is to include crappy headphones as all other sellers of mp3 players, cd players, etc. do.

vandelay
Jan 27, 2005, 05:53 PM

Sound quality aside, i just find them uncomfortable. Having just received the 1GB Shuffle, i can now add another pair of unopened iPod earphones to my collection.
I use white SONY MDR-EX 71 instead. I really think at least the higher end models should come with the in-ear headphones.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by vandelay:
I use white SONY MDR-EX 71 instead.
Awesome headphones for the price. I'll recommend them too. $45

@drissa - you sure are having alot of iPod issues...

Forum Links
Forum Rules