Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New internal drive makes odd noises

New internal drive makes odd noises
drissa
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2005, 06:38 AM

I've just installed a new 200GB Seagate Barracuda drive in my Dual 2 G5. It formatted fine. However, every minute or so it makes a repetitive ticking noise ('ticky-tock, ticky-tock, ticky...' to be precise).

It doesn't sound like any hard drive noises I've heard before. Activity on the drive - moving a file there, accessing a file - stops the noises. The noises only last for a moment, but my G5 makes enough strange ticking and beeping noises and I'd rather it didn't make any more.

What might this be? Should I re-seat the drive? It sounds mechanical.

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2005, 08:30 AM

Whenever I've heard a hard drive start ticking it never lasted long from when it started. If I were you, I'd try to get a replacement right away.

Duracell
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2005, 08:46 AM

I think the best thing to do is to get a replacement drive right away, constant noises like that lead me to believe it's dodgy.
Macbook Pro 15" Rev: Feb08
iPhone & iPod Touch

20" iMac G5, Mac Mini G4 and an iBook G4, all retired.

Forum Links
Forum Rules