Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Windows 7 Isn't Just Vista That Works

Windows 7 Isn't Just Vista That Works
subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2009, 12:56 PM

Best Buy memo explains that Vista doesn't work, details Windows 7 upgrade plans

"Microsoft is launching Windows 7 in mid-October 2009. This new operating system isn't just a "Vista that works" program - it's a new operating system with improved productivity, functionality and creativity that uses less computer resources."

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2009, 01:30 PM

That sort of describes "Vista that works". :-)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Ruyuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2009, 01:34 PM

Basically.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2009, 01:36 PM

I've been running Win7 RC (64-bit) for a few days now. It *IS* faster. I regained about 35GB of disk space (some just due to the reformat/reinstall), and I'm using about 45% less RAM than Vista-64. Not bad at all.

It's not OSX, but it's probably the best release of Windows since XP SP2 (32-bit)

Now if they would ever get rid of this bloody registry ....
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2009, 01:44 PM

LOL, perhaps honesty does exist at BB.

But heh, I feel bad for those Vista users who've had trouble, so good luck on 7.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2009, 01:55 PM

Apparently the "that works" thing doesn't distance them enough from Vista.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2009, 02:21 PM

I can see it now - a new ad campaign:

"It's not Vista. Really."

"This is not your father's Vista."

"Vista? What's that?"

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2009, 02:31 PM

The best part is how they're essentially charging for a service pack.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 5, 2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
The best part is how they're essentially charging for a service pack.
If Windows 7 was a few minor bug fixes and speedups, then it could be classified as a service pack, but it sounds like Windows 7 is a completely different experience. So not a service pack.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2009, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
If Windows 7 was a few minor bug fixes and speedups, then it could be classified as a service pack, but it sounds like Windows 7 is a completely different experience. So not a service pack.
It's about as different as XP vs XP SP2, perhaps with a replacement task-bar built in. It really is THAT similar. It is however a ton faster.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 5, 2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
It's about as different as XP vs XP SP2, perhaps with a replacement task-bar built in. It really is THAT similar. It is however a ton faster.
So basically what Apple has said that Snow Leopard will be to Leopard?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2009, 03:02 PM

I've been running Win7 RC (64-bit) for a few days now. It *IS* faster. I regained about 35GB of disk space (some just due to the reformat/reinstall), and I'm using about 45% less RAM than Vista-64. Not bad at all.

It's not OSX, but it's probably the best release of Windows since XP SP2 (32-bit)

Now if they would ever get rid of this bloody registry ....
Ditto. Windows 7 really is (dare I say it?), a pleasure to use. It's still Wondows, but it's the best Windows I have ever used.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2009, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
So basically what Apple has said that Snow Leopard will be to Leopard?
I haven't used Snow Leopard nor read much about it, so I can't comment. But that very well may be the case.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Ditto. Windows 7 really is (dare I say it?), a pleasure to use. It's still Wondows, but it's the best Windows I have ever used.
"A pleasure to use" may be subjective. Compared to other forms of Windows, yes. But when it blue-screens (which has happened to me a few times) ... no. :-)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Windows 7 really is (dare I say it?), a pleasure to use. It's still Windows, but it's the best Windows I have ever used.
I've been using it since the beta (as well as build 7048 and 7057 nabbed from RapidShare) and have told all my PC-using friends* to get it as soon as it comes out. It is much faster than Vista and the annoying UAC functions aren't nearly as intrusive in Windows 7 as they were in Vista.

*Almost all of them have avoided Vista so they are waiting to make some kind of jump from XP. Although, to be honest, as fast as Windows 7 RC feels, I still *love* XP sp2.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2009, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Apparently the "that works" thing doesn't distance them enough from Vist...BZZZZZZT.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2009, 04:34 PM

I'm glad that it's good.

I've been using XP SP2 on my PC for years now and have been waiting for a reason to upgrade.

I doubt it will be near as good as OSX, but still.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I'm glad that it's good.

I've been using XP SP2 on my PC for years now and have been waiting for a reason to upgrade.

I doubt it will be near as good as OSX, but still.
It's not, but since you can't run OSX on that same hardware, it's better than nothing. :-)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2009, 11:54 PM

We've got 7(latest build as of 1.5 months ago) installed on a PC (3Ghz, 1.5GB, Nvidia 128MB VRAM).

It definitely feels faster than Vista. I haven't used Vista a lot, myself.

One nice thing i noticed was when you drag windows around it's doesnt ghost and/or redraw the windows behind while dragging. i think they are finally doing double buffering a-la OSX 4-5 years ago.

The interface, from a consistency standpoint is still a mess..... I went into the control panel (the last time was in Win98/WinXP) and was so frustrated that i just gave up.

Over all, my preliminary analysis would be this is finally Microsoft's copy of MacOSX. different implementation, same ideas that Apple pioneered over the past decade. Of course M$ fanboys will think this is the next best thing since sliced white bread cause it has the Microsoft logo on it. wha-cha-gonna-do ?

Was anyone actually expecting originality anyway ?

It's crashed a couple of times, which is consistent....but in all i agree this is probably the best Windows since XP SP2.

Cheers

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2009, 12:07 AM

Yeah ... the control panel layout is actually WORSE than Vista (or XP without "classic mode") if you can believe it. Horrid is a good word to describe it.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2009, 08:21 PM

Think of Vista as the first one or two releases of OSX. We all used it, but the OSX we use today is much improved over the first two years of using it. Windows 7 fixes Vistas problems and what was "supposed" to work with Vista is supposed to work with 7.

I just hope that Snow Leopard sees more improvements to stay ahead of 7.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2009, 09:48 PM

IMO, Win7 is the best Windows ever, period. I've been quite impressed with it and will probably buy it when it comes out. This will be the first OS I've bought from Bill since 3.1.

No, it's not OSX, but for M$ it's a huge leap forward.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Cold Warrior
Jun 6, 2009, 10:12 PM

It is fairly good compared to previous Windows. It's also a good time for me to transition to x64. So I'm running the RC x64 with no issues. Leopard is still better, but since I have no choice to use Windows for some things, I'm going to use the best Windows out there. I've also taken to building a Windows 7 x64 baseline for work deployment. My test machine is running 8 GB RAM.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2009, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
One nice thing i noticed was when you drag windows around it's doesnt ghost and/or redraw the windows behind while dragging. i think they are finally doing double buffering a-la OSX 4-5 years ago.
Actually, that was part of Vista too -- the entire Aero UI is composited and GPU-accelerated.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2009, 11:04 AM

Maybe Microsoft's strategy all along has been to set really low expectations so when they come out with something half-presentable, people will be like, "This is the best Windows ever! You HAVE to get it!"
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2009, 04:09 PM

Well let's face it, they did screw up royally with Virista. The biggest turd of an OS since Windows ME. So yeah, there's certainly a factor where anything that actually works halfway decently is going to automatically seem like gold in comparison.

But Windows 7 is actually pretty damn good on its own merits. It actually IS the best version of Windows ever. Users that actually need the full power of their hardware without resorting to 'upgrading' to XP might finally come back to the latest M$ OS.

7 just plain screams on a quad with tons of RAM, and in my experience it's rock stable. (Actually I never had a problem with Virista not being stable, it's just noticeably sluggish for the hardware spec, and the whole OS looks and feels half-baked.)

Now if only they'd drop the ridiculous strategy of having umpteen different versions and just sell 7 as just ONE version (Ultimate) with all the features, with both x32 and x64 in the same retail package, then they'd really have something.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2009, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Well let's face it, they did screw up royally with Virista. The biggest turd of an OS since Windows ME. So yeah, there's certainly a factor where anything that actually works halfway decently is going to automatically seem like gold in comparison.

But Windows 7 is actually pretty damn good on its own merits. It actually IS the best version of Windows ever. Users that actually need the full power of their hardware without resorting to 'upgrading' to XP might finally come back to the latest M$ OS.

7 just plain screams on a quad with tons of RAM, and in my experience it's rock stable. (Actually I never had a problem with Virista not being stable, it's just noticeably sluggish for the hardware spec, and the whole OS looks and feels half-baked.)

Now if only they'd drop the ridiculous strategy of having umpteen different versions and just sell 7 as just ONE version (Ultimate) with all the features, with both x32 and x64 in the same retail package, then they'd really have something.
To that end, I think having multiple versions of Vista contributed to it's ultimate failure at least as much as it's shoddy quality and bloated resource requirements. Apparently Microsoft didn't learn ALL the lessons that it could from Vista.

BTW: Side note: Where are the animated background wallpapers in Windows 7 Ultimate?
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2009, 04:59 PM

Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

iM@k
Senior User
Jun 7, 2009, 05:11 PM

You know, after seeing the above animated GIF, I realize that it's not just MS who is going to make Windows 7 really awesome. A huge chunck of it is going to come from.............

...DEVELOPERS!
( Last edited by iM@k; Jun 8, 2009 at 07:48 AM. )
What, me worry?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2009, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by iM@k View Post
You know, after seeing the above animated GIF, I realize that it's not jusr MS who is going to me Windows 7 really awesome. A huge check of it is going to come from.............

...DEVELOPERS!
English?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2009, 07:24 PM

To that end, I think having multiple versions of Vista contributed to it's ultimate failure at least as much as it's shoddy quality and bloated resource requirements. Apparently Microsoft didn't learn ALL the lessons that it could from Vista.
It's telling that they only offer the Ultimate as the RC1 download- clearly they know that no one would bother downloading a crippled 'Home' version, even for free. And yet, they'll certainly conclude that people will somehow be happy about PAYING for a crippled 'Home' version, rather than get the one that has all the features. It's even goofier when the business versions have features better suited to the home user, like Media Center and Aero graphics, etc.

I'm sure an unexpected percentage of their profits since Vista has been in sales of XP Professional. I've personally ordered dozens of copies for friends whose computers I've 'upgraded' with it in the past two years. Business users that actually want to get work done are willing to actually pay a premium to 'upgrade' to XP.

Now they'll actually have to sell an OS based on it being usable in all markets without falling back on selling extra licenses of the previous OS.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2009, 08:16 PM

Win7 had better be the best windows ever. After Vista, another failure would be a total embarrassment to M$. But if you think Leopard is good, Snow Leopard will certainly be better (snappier?).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

iM@k
Senior User
Jun 8, 2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
English?
No, American....just really tired as I had just driven 200+ miles earlier and wasn't paying attention to my spelling.
What, me worry?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2009, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by iM@k View Post
You know, after seeing the above animated GIF, I realize that it's not just MS who is going to make Windows 7 really awesome. A huge chunck of it is going to come from.............

...DEVELOPERS!
Not anymore, baby! MS is all about advertising!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2009, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Not anymore, baby! MS is all about advertising!
And they can't even do that right.

Especially if their actors represent what MS stands for - particularly that guy who wants to "cut" video in their recent commercial - who the hell "cuts" video on a PC? Or that dimwitted pothead person who decided that Macs are aren't real computers, because they're all about looks. Or that little punk kid (who really wants to play games) telling his Mom that she is a ho - right on tv! Really!

Forum Links
Forum Rules