Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto 6 - STILL freezing trying to scroll through 370 images

iPhoto 6 - STILL freezing trying to scroll through 370 images
drissa
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2006, 05:33 PM

What is it with iPhoto?! I've paid for another upgrade after promises of finally sorted out the sluggishness. Yet, with a library of only 370 images, each not bigger than 2MB, I can STILL only scroll through half of the thumnails before the beachball comes in. I wait. I wait some more. Then I force quit.

Could there be a problem with my images which is causing this? How the hell is iPhoto supposed to cope with 250,000 images?! I have a Dual 2G with 2.5GB of RAM.

philm
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 06:06 PM

Well, for me, iPhoto 5 was unusable due to the Makernote problem which affected a number of brands of camera. It would take 45 minutes to start the program and about the same to quit. iPhoto 6 solves all this (due the the differnt manner in which the Library.iPhoto file works) and I can use the program beautifully with 15,000 images.

Doesn't solve your problem; I'm just reporting that iPhoto 6 did solve some major issues that many people were suffering from.

If you only have 370 images, why not move them all to a new folder on the desktop, scrap your exising library and start again. This will break any Albums which you might have lovingly created, but something is amiss.

(12" G4 Powerbook 10.4)

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 08:14 PM

I'd defintely say it's a problem with some kind of image in there. I have a crappy iBook and I can scroll through all 4000 of my pictures with ease.

drissa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2006, 08:28 PM

Thanks - just deleted old library, created a new one and will see how it goes...
( Last edited by drissa; Feb 13, 2006 at 08:48 PM. )

drissa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2006, 07:06 AM

Apologies - there was clearly a problem with the old library or images within it. I started from scratch, imported the old images and iPhoto is flying as promised.

Forum Links
Forum Rules