Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Air and slow animations?

MacBook Air and slow animations?
Tomchu
Mac Elite
May 29, 2008, 02:52 AM

Has anyone else noticed that various OS X animations (Dock magnification, Genie minimization, Expose/Spaces/Dashboard activation, etc.) are all relatively choppy on the MacBook Air?

The Dock-related stuff gets a lot better when one turns off the 3D/glass Dock, but it's still crappy. I would estimate it to look like about 15 FPS or so. My previous MacBook Pro (CD version), and my girlfriend's MacBook (C2D, GMA950 version) both animate things very smoothly (~40 FPS).

What's the deal here? I was hoping that 10.5.3 would include some updated video drivers or something for the X3100 in the MBA, but unfortunately nothing has been improved.

ibook_steve
May 29, 2008, 03:32 AM

Something else may be running, hogging the CPU. Have you checked Activity Monitor? Is it like this as soon as you boot?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Tomchu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 29, 2008, 12:26 PM

Nope, idle system. It doesn't matter whether it's right after boot, or after two weeks of use without reboots.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2008, 01:06 PM

Smooth as... well, something smooth... on the built in screen and 23" ACD with my MBA.

Ph.D.
May 30, 2008, 07:49 PM

It depends on what you are comparing it to.

The air is definitely "relatively choppy" compared to my octo-core beast with high-end graphics card. But it's smooth as silk compared to my 1GHz G4.

officer_iron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2008, 11:35 PM

I've heard some of my friends mention this problem. I was hoping it was just them being slow.
Rockin'
---> :)<---

Forum Links
Forum Rules