Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Black Nov 2007 Model Issues

MacBook Black Nov 2007 Model Issues
kelso
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2010, 02:02 AM

Just recently my Macbook's fan started buzzing along with my computer slowing down tremendously. After around an hour of use the cursor and everything freezes for a second, then unfreezes, and freezes again. It does this many times consecutively. Any audio playing also becomes garbled.

Is my fan failing to keep my computer cool? Not exactly sure what to do since my Apple Care is expired :s

Thanks in advance for any advice.

P
Dec 5, 2010, 07:58 AM

Sounds like either the fan is giving up or the vents are blocked. Try cleaning the vents, as that's easier, but it sounds like you might need a replacement fan.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2010, 09:27 AM

I would start by running Activity Monitor, select all processes then list by CPU usage. Sounds to me like a rogue thread is caning the CPU and causing it to heat up and slow down.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

kelso  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2010, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the replies.

How might I go about cleaning out the vents? My MacBook only has 1 fan from what it looks like. Should I use that air duster?

As for the rogue thread, I took a look in activity monitor and it didn't appear that anything was soaking up my computers resources.

P
Dec 5, 2010, 03:39 PM

The "correct" way is to use compressed air and blow through the vents to make sure that nothing is stuck. In effect, it usually works fine to vacuum, but there is a theoretical risk of static electricity if the air is dry etc. First up is checking if they look clogged, though - if they don't, then I suspect the fan is going.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by kelso View Post
Just recently my Macbook's fan started buzzing along with my computer slowing down tremendously. After around an hour of use the cursor and everything freezes for a second, then unfreezes, and freezes again. It does this many times consecutively. Any audio playing also becomes garbled.
Are you positive it's the fan?

Vibration noise was the signal of impending hard disk death the last time a hard drive died on me. Random hangs and freezes came next. It took about three weeks before it failed completely.

Also, if it's a November 2007 model, your AppleCare will *just* have expired. Call them and whine a bit. They might be able to help you if you ask nicely.

OTOH, if it's the hard drive, **** it. A new 500GB hard drive is less than €70.

kelso  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Are you positive it's the fan?

Vibration noise was the signal of impending hard disk death the last time a hard drive died on me. Random hangs and freezes came next. It took about three weeks before it failed completely.

Also, if it's a November 2007 model, your AppleCare will *just* have expired. Call them and whine a bit. They might be able to help you if you ask nicely.

OTOH, if it's the hard drive, **** it. A new 500GB hard drive is less than €70.
I'm pretty sure its the fan. It sounds like it may be grinding or rubbing against something. I had this problem about a year ago, sent it into Apple Care and they ended up replacing my fan, CD drive and one other thing. It was never clear what the issue was and it appears to be happening again, but this case it's quite a bit worse.

As for calling into Apple Care and giving them a hard time, I don't know if I can do that. It expired back in May

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2010, 04:11 PM

Two years only? AppleCare Parts and Services?

Regular AppleCare is three years.

kelso  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2010, 04:13 PM

I got it in 07 as a graduation present. I was mistaken though about the November 2007 model; as that model I have is actually released in November 2006. Sorry for the mix up. But I did get the 3 years of Apple Care and it expired this past May.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2010, 04:21 PM

Gotcha.

FWIW, my fan gave up earlier this year, as well (same series, got mine in Nov. 2006), but the random freezes and hangs were NOT symptoms I was seeing (in fact, I'm not sure how a defective fan could be causing them).

kelso  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2010, 04:26 PM

Could it be both fan and HD? The drive I have in it is the original that came with the computer. I have had a few friends who have had to replace their within a few years. Or is it possible that the fan is failing to keep the computer cool and the heat is causing the freezes and hang ups?

Luckily, another Apple Store opened up in my state and while I am visiting family for the holidays I can get it checked out there. I just hope it lasts that long. I can't really afford to send it out just yet with finals approaching.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 5, 2010, 04:55 PM

If you can't afford to be without it, at least back it up!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2010, 05:30 PM

When MacBook fans clog up, they get a thin mat of dust between the fan exhaust and the heat sink. Its very easy to remove if you don't mind taking the lid off the unit, but I doubt either a vacuum or an air jet would clear it very well.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

kelso  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
When MacBook fans clog up, they get a thin mat of dust between the fan exhaust and the heat sink. Its very easy to remove if you don't mind taking the lid off the unit, but I doubt either a vacuum or an air jet would clear it very well.
Would that cause slow down and the buzzing sound? Because at times when I open the lid of my MacBook is see some dust in the shape of my vents. So clogging could be the culprit?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 5, 2010, 07:17 PM

Clogged vents would not cause slowness, unless the processor is being throttled because it's too hot. If the machine overheats, it will shutdown.

It does sound like a HDD failure, download and run Smart Utility.

kelso  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Clogged vents would not cause slowness, unless the processor is being throttled because it's too hot. If the machine overheats, it will shutdown.

It does sound like a HDD failure, download and run Smart Utility.
Ok, I'll try that out but what contributes to the fan noise if it's a hard drive issue?

Edit: I ran smart utility and it says that "Overall SMART status is passed. Looks like it may not be the hard drive.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 5, 2010, 07:32 PM

Coincidence, or the noise IS the hard drive.
Listen to palm rest, I think the hard drive is on the right (where ever the battery isn't).

kelso  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2010, 07:35 PM

The noise is coming from the upper portion of my keyboard, around the num lock area.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 5, 2010, 07:50 PM

That's almost certainly the fan.

Forum Links
Forum Rules