Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Nationalist Delusion

The Nationalist Delusion (Page 3)
subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2018, 06:36 PM

Sorry again this took so long! Once RL calmed down I wanted to think it through solidly.

Here’s the conflict I’ve been facing, since well before Trump.

When it comes to the model the left uses on race and racism, I essentially agree with it.

In contrast, the model the left uses for what motivates the right is bad. Like, really bad.

This would be a difficult course to navigate on its own, however I face the obstacle of the latter pitching me into a blind rage.

I can justify the passion and conviction which fuels this rage, but neither of those things justify my poor navigation, which I am unquestionably guilty of.

This article is a clear example. I was enraged, and it manifested as me hastily, and with little thought, steering towards what enraged me.

Several unintended conclusions were implied by my course. The most important being I strongly disagree with the race model the left uses, and somehow consider what I’m whining about to be the greatest injustice of all the injustices subsumed by the thread topic. I don’t conciously hold either of those positions, and if I do subconsciously, it would be something I’d like to correct.

I’m aware it may appear difficult to reconcile my claim I agree with the left’s racism model with my approach of semantically questioning the definition of the term racism. That reconciliation (as you noted) is better material for its own thread. I mention it to assure you it does exist, as in I’m ultimately attempting to serve the purposes of the left’s racism model. We have the same goal.

Nonetheless, my apologies for derailing the thread. I addressed the article in a general sense, but would gladly (re)visit any and all specific points where you think my commentary would be of value. I can promise I’ll better navigate the trip.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2018, 01:45 PM

I'll give you a proper response this weekend but just stopping in to chip in that, boy, this thread is very timely given the latest news.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 13, 2018, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
In contrast, the model the left uses for what motivates the right is bad. Like, really bad.
This is the indifference vs. resentment argument, yes?

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Nonetheless, my apologies for derailing the thread. I addressed the article in a general sense, but would gladly (re)visit any and all specific points where you think my commentary would be of value. I can promise I’ll better navigate the trip.
So here's the best compromise I can think of without delving wholeheartedly into a semantic mess. Which is to say, when I ask about something being racist, perhaps you shouldn't give a binary answer, but multiple answers; One based on your own values and one based on your perception of the liberal definition.

To return to the unanswered question (Given the length of time and posts I may have missed your answer):
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Can you honestly look at the past two years and not come to the conclusion that America is a lot more racist than we thought it was?
I don't think this requires a singular definition of racism to answer in the affirmative, but Ill allow you to tailor your answer to definitions as you see fit.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2018, 06:48 PM

"You can't have an immigration compromise if everybody's out there calling the president a racist," [Rand] Paul added.
To be honest, Paul, it's hard to get a fair one if the President is being racist.

Forum Links
Forum Rules