Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Casting Couch Takes Pity on the Potted Plant: Weinstein

The Casting Couch Takes Pity on the Potted Plant: Weinstein (Page 8)
subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2017, 11:29 PM

The backlash seems to be coalescing around “guilty until proven innocent” and how the same punishment is being dealt to a pretty huge spread of offenses.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 18, 2017, 12:09 PM

Yeah, it seems like if you raped a bunch of people and all that happened was you lost your job, you got off pretty easy.

andi*pandi
Dec 18, 2017, 12:18 PM

The complaint I've heard is that the butt-patters are losing their jobs, but the rapists aren't.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 18, 2017, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
The complaint I've heard is that the butt-patters (-D) are losing their jobs, but the rapists (-R) aren't.
(Fixed) I wonder why.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 18, 2017, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The backlash seems to be coalescing around “guilty until proven innocent” and how the same punishment is being dealt to a pretty huge spread of offenses.
Right, but the problem is two things:

First: The system has done a poor job finding the guilty. Trial by media isn't great, but so far journalistic integrity hasn't created any verifiable false-positives yet. In fact, most cases involve multiple accusations.
Two: What do you do with the accused during the interim? Suspend with or without pay? In the political sphere neither is acceptable because of the political ramifications of a vote being missing for months.

The reason I wanted Franken to resign is because the system can't be trusted to investigate him in a fair or timely manner. Give me an alternative.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2018, 10:57 PM

Now it’s official. Bachman contemplates running for seat.
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church" Saint Tertullian, 197 AD

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2018, 09:10 AM

Down goes Franco?

Franken, Franco... my aunt Fran is hosed.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2018, 02:46 PM

I did not touch her. It’s not true. It’s bullshit. I did not touch her. I did naaaht.

Oh, hai police.

P
Jan 11, 2018, 05:27 AM

We're getting a little far down the totempole if the "man with power" is now James Franco. What pull does he have? "If you won't, I'll make sure you're not the implausibly hot woman Seth Rogen makes out with in his next movie!".
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 11, 2018, 10:12 AM

He just wrote directed and produced a movie. A lot of inherent power there.

That's disregarding latent star power. Remember what our president said: if you're famous they'll let you do anything.

Waragainstsleep
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2018, 10:31 AM

Franco already got away with one. Remember he was caught chasing/sleeping with a 17-year-old?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Jan 11, 2018, 01:10 PM

I know that he is not a nobody, but if he directs one movie a year, he can influence employment opportunities for one movie a year - an indie movie with maybe two speaking parts for women. Weinstein killed careers by making women unemployable in all movies forever.

It actually wouldn't surprise me all that much if Franco is a creep, but his transgression (if all of this is true, he maintains his innocence) is so much smaller than a Weinstein or a Cosby that it doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 11, 2018, 04:19 PM

this ignores he still has connections. That's attractive bait. He certainly could do more for someone's career than Cosby.

P
Jan 11, 2018, 06:33 PM

In 2018, sure, but Cosby was enormous back in the day - certainly bigger than Franco ever was.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2018, 07:16 PM

Dan Harmon...

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2018, 07:29 PM

Wait... again?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2018, 07:31 PM

I subscribe to the Sexual Misconduct Daily, and all I’m seeing is Franco, Haggis, and Stan Lee.

Thorzdad
Jan 11, 2018, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I subscribe to the Sexual Misconduct Daily, and all I’m seeing is Franco, Haggis, and Stan Lee.
To be fair, Stan treated everyone like property.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2018, 09:43 PM

“Still do... EXELSIOR!”

P
Jan 12, 2018, 10:41 AM

Stan Lee's appears to be related to medication, as was (supposedly) George HW Bush.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2018, 02:45 PM

Harmon popped up in the SMD. Him talking about the incident on Harmontown is making waves.

I’m getting a little tired of creep assholes telling me I need to use their shittiness as an opportunity to look within myself.

I’ve been doing that already, which is why I’m not a creep asshole.

Leave me out of this, and go **** yourself.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 13, 2018, 11:59 PM

Tangentially related: http://www.kmov.com/story/37240190/g...marital-affair
ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) -- Governor Eric Greitens on Wednesday night confirmed to News 4 he had an extramarital affair, an admission a months-long News 4 investigation prompted.

In a recording obtained by News 4, a woman says she had a sexual encounter with Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens and that he tried to blackmail her to keep the encounter quiet.

The details were provided to News 4 by the woman’s ex-husband, claiming the sexual relationship happened between his now ex-wife and Greitens in March 2015. News 4 is not naming the woman and she has not made an on-the-record comment about the story.

According to the ex-husband, the recording was made just days after Greitens’ and the woman’s first sexual encounter. And also that Greitens took a photograph during the encounter to use as “blackmail” according to the ex-husband.
How has this guy not resigned? (Because conservatives don't really care about family values?)

Thorzdad
Jan 14, 2018, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
How has this guy not resigned? (Because conservatives don't really care about family values?)
Pfft. Of course they care about family values. Your family values.

Waragainstsleep
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2018, 08:51 PM

Eliza Dushku posted her experience from filming True Lies when she was 12. Sickening stuff but it seems to be making a few waves and the accused's agency has dumped him fast.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Jan 15, 2018, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Eliza Dushku posted her experience from filming True Lies when she was 12. Sickening stuff but it seems to be making a few waves and the accused's agency has dumped him fast.
That one has the added wrinkle of the fact that her guardian on set reported her suspicions, and they were ignored.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 15, 2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
In 2018, sure, but Cosby was enormous back in the day - certainly bigger than Franco ever was.
I forgot to mention, you're right. I was not thinking in the correct time frame.

Though I stand by Franco having more juice than you think.

Forum Links
Forum Rules