Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Is [Person/Place/Thing] Racist? The Thread

Is [Person/Place/Thing] Racist? The Thread
Thread Tools
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 13, 2018, 11:50 PM
 
Its a contentious issue, and I'm not helping things by making a thread devoid of nuance or definition, but the point here is to get some snap judgements and debate from there. So I present to you: Is He Racist? The thread

In here, a poster can present the name of a person or an organization or program or even just an action, and give their opinion. It can be a simple yes or no, or feel free to delve deeper and explain your reasoning. Maybe you just can't suss it out.

The impetus for finally making this thread is I've spent the past two years either designating or contemplating whether various GOP and Trump related figures are white supremacist, 'vanilla' racist or merely some shallower but still deplorable classification I don't know there's a name for.

A list of people/things I've considered, in no particular order:

Donald Trump
Jeff Sessions
Steve Bannon
Stephen Miller
Steve King
Tom Cotton
John Kelly
Some NFL owners
Immigration 'reform'
The Response in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria
Ben Shapiro/TheDailyWire
Voter ID
Concerns over terrorism/National Security
The Neimoidians from Episode I: The Phantom Menace
iOS Face ID
School Choice
Medicaid Work Requirements


The big finish here is after hemming and hawing for way too long, the shithole comments give me the confidence to say definitively, our President is your garden variety racist. I'd also say I've hesitated so long because it's not 'PC' to use the term.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2018, 01:17 PM
 
FaceID?
     
Brien
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southern California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2018, 11:59 PM
 
Yes to all.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2018, 12:22 AM
 
I would say there a few I wouldn't deem so.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2018, 10:54 AM
 
Part of the reason I started this thread: subego, do you still disagree Trump is racist?
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2018, 03:23 PM
 
Regarding Trump, it would be "illuminating" to review this and before making a determination if his behavior warrants the benefit of the doubt.

Donald Trump's Racism - The Definitive List | NYTimes.com

OAW
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2018, 03:15 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Part of the reason I started this thread: subego, do you still disagree Trump is racist?
If we go back to when Trump announced his candidacy, my argument then wasn’t Trump isn’t a racist, but that he’s racist well within the parameters of conservative, old, rich, white people.

If forced to translate this into binary, either racist or not-racist, the question becomes where the line is drawn.

My approach to this isn’t particularly philosophical. I draw the line at whether what’s under consideration is salvageable. The issue with this group is they’re isolated and out of touch. I consider that salvageable, and has thus not crossed the line.

Trump himself may be unsalvageable, but this has nothing to do with belonging to that group, it’s due to him being a man-child.
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2018, 04:21 PM
 
So basically, he's not as racist as other old rich white guys?

The bar, it is sunk in the swamp.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2018, 04:34 PM
 
I argued he’s equivalently racist.

“[H]e’s racist well within the parameters of conservative, old, rich, white people.”
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2018, 05:01 PM
 
That still makes me sad on behalf of white people.
     
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Nashua NH, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2018, 07:39 PM
 
But we've seen him acting badly toward other white people too.
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2018, 08:54 PM
 
True. He can be both a racist and a jackass though, right?
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 18, 2018, 12:13 AM
 
He’s an assist?
     
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Nashua NH, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 18, 2018, 04:19 PM
 
Can you though? Doesn't racism have to be specific? If you hate all poor people does that make you racist because some of them are mexican?
     
Thorzdad
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nobletucky
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 18, 2018, 08:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
If you hate all poor people does that make you racist because some of them are mexican?
No, that would simply make you classist.

Now, if you hated all brown poor people only, or believed that white poor people have just had bad luck, but the brown poors are poor because they’re lazy and just want free food and money, then, yeah, you’re a racist.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 18, 2018, 08:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
But we've seen him acting badly toward other white people too.
I thought this was parody, but apparently it's not. Does being racist somehow mean you're only nice to white people?

Call me crazy, but a racist turning out to be an asshole in general seems like the less surprising option.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 18, 2018, 08:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
If we go back to when Trump announced his candidacy, my argument then wasn’t Trump isn’t a racist, but that he’s racist well within the parameters of conservative, old, rich, white people.
Apologies because your argument does sound familiar.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
If forced to translate this into binary, either racist or not-racist, the question becomes where the line is drawn.

My approach to this isn’t particularly philosophical. I draw the line at whether what’s under consideration is salvageable. The issue with this group is they’re isolated and out of touch. I consider that salvageable, and has thus not crossed the line.
Doesn't the old part make them less salvageable?

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Trump himself may be unsalvageable, but this has nothing to do with belonging to that group, it’s due to him being a man-child.
Would you disagree that his actions as president superseded the 'run-of-the-mill' racism of a 'conservative, old, rich, white' person? That his actions that affect people of color are well outside the parameters we're used to from the GOP?
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 18, 2018, 08:47 PM
 
Is [Karl Higbie] Racist?

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/18/politi...dio/index.html
"I told this story the other day on my show. Somebody who lives in my condo association that has five kids, and it's her and her husband with the five kids and the mother, the grandmother of the kids, and they don't have jobs, they're there all the time -- I bet you can guess what color they are -- and they have no job," he said.
"Only one person was actually cordial to me," Higbie said. "Every other black person was rude. They wanted me to either load the wood, completely split it for them or some sort of you know assistance in labor. Now, mind you the ad was for free firewood, come take it all you want. And I believe that this translates directly into the culture that is breeding this welfare and the high percentage of people on welfare in the black race. It's a lax of morality."
"We're promoting birth control to a black woman because of the incredibly high rate of children born out of wedlock that are under-cared for or not cared for at all. The taxpayers are tired of supporting government checks going to these people who think that breeding is a form of employment. I'm sorry if black people are the majority of the targeted audience. They are, statistically they are."
Higbie, a former Navy SEAL and conservative media personality, was a surrogate for Trump during the 2016 presidential campaign, appearing on cable news and serving as the spokesman for the Trump-aligned Great America PAC. He was appointed to the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) in 2017 to direct the public image and messaging of the federal department that manages millions of Americans in volunteer services like AmeriCorps and Senior Corps.
 
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 19, 2018, 12:54 AM
 
Is This Racist?
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/954163554181140480
.@MarkSteynOnline on DACA: "In Arizona, a majority of the grade school children now are Hispanic. That means Arizona's future is as a Hispanic society. That means in effect, the border has moved north." #Tucker
     
Thorzdad
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nobletucky
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 19, 2018, 09:55 AM
 
Is This Racist?

.@MarkSteynOnline on DACA: "In Arizona, a majority of the grade school children now are Hispanic. That means Arizona's future is as a Hispanic society. That means in effect, the border has moved north." #Tucker
Racist as hell.
His statement might have passed muster had he stopped with the line about school kids (whether it's an accurate statement, though, is another matter.)

But, when he went forward with the statement about Arizona's future, which implies the future is being stolen or derailed from what its future should be (*COUGH*white*COUGH) by these others, and then topped it off with the border statement, which denies any Hispanic being capable of being a US citizen, he drove right off the "I'm a big, ugly racist" cliff.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 20, 2018, 04:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Apologies because your argument does sound familiar.

Doesn't the old part make them less salvageable?


Would you disagree that his actions as president superseded the 'run-of-the-mill' racism of a 'conservative, old, rich, white' person? That his actions that affect people of color are well outside the parameters we're used to from the GOP?
(In reverse order)

Not really. Trump’s “pillars of racism” are mainstream Republican policy. The GOP always had a cop boner, disliked illegal immigrants, and (in this century) picked a fight with Islam.


I think the old part makes it more difficult, but not impossible. Perhaps incorrectly, I consider Newt to be the poster child for this group. I consider him someone who isn’t entirely calcified.


No apologies necessary!

It’s my fault if I lose sight of my own argument.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 20, 2018, 05:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Not really. Trump’s “pillars of racism” are mainstream Republican policy. The GOP always had a cop boner, disliked illegal immigrants, and (in this century) picked a fight with Islam.
This is where I've been getting frustrated. While you can argue, yes, the underlying sentiment may be the same, it's stark that their actions and rhetoric are not.

You say the GOP has always disliked illegal immigrants. However Ronald Reagan famously gave amnesty. George W Bush supported the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007 which had a path to citizenship. Trump has called Mexicans rapists, argues immigration is a scam for countries to dump unwanted citizens here, wants a wall which is essentially a symbolic middle finger to Mexico, has cranked up ICE actions, deported non-criminals, separated children from their parents at the border, cancelled DACA, and is, at best, inconsistent on a legislative fix for DACA and a path for citizenship.

You say the GOP has always picked a fight from Islam. But in the face of the worst terrorist act perpetrated on American soil, Bush fought against hateful rhetoric against Muslims. A muslim ban in 2001 would have made more emotional sense than one in 2017. Bush was careless about civilian deaths in Iraq. Trump encouraged them during the campaign. I'd also remind you, Trump is a birther, which is decidedly not mainstream Republican policy. He said Obama founded ISIS.

Trump is not remotely in the same ballpark as his republican predecessors.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Jan 20, 2018 at 06:09 PM. )
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 20, 2018, 06:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Racist as hell.
His statement might have passed muster had he stopped with the line about school kids (whether it's an accurate statement, though, is another matter.)

But, when he went forward with the statement about Arizona's future, which implies the future is being stolen or derailed from what its future should be (*COUGH*white*COUGH) by these others, and then topped it off with the border statement, which denies any Hispanic being capable of being a US citizen, he drove right off the "I'm a big, ugly racist" cliff.
I mean, I think it goes past racism right into white supremacism. He's arguing that American hispanics are somehow less American.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 20, 2018, 06:13 PM
 
Three-fer incoming:
https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/s...97127618256903
Wow, @LindseyGrahamSC just called @SenTomCotton "the Steve King of the Senate." On @MSNBC with @GarrettHaake
How would you rate Steve King and Tom Cotton, as racists?

---

Given he doesn't push back on Steyr's comments and a pattern of other 'troubling' guests, is [Tucker Carlson's Show] Racist?
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 02:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
This is where I've been getting frustrated. While you can argue, yes, the underlying sentiment may be the same, it's stark that their actions and rhetoric are not.

You say the GOP has always disliked illegal immigrants. However Ronald Reagan famously gave amnesty. George W Bush supported the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007 which had a path to citizenship. Trump has called Mexicans rapists, argues immigration is a scam for countries to dump unwanted citizens here, wants a wall which is essentially a symbolic middle finger to Mexico, has cranked up ICE actions, deported non-criminals, separated children from their parents at the border, cancelled DACA, and is, at best, inconsistent on a legislative fix for DACA and a path for citizenship.

You say the GOP has always picked a fight from Islam. But in the face of the worst terrorist act perpetrated on American soil, Bush fought against hateful rhetoric against Muslims. A muslim ban in 2001 would have made more emotional sense than one in 2017. Bush was careless about civilian deaths in Iraq. Trump encouraged them during the campaign. I'd also remind you, Trump is a birther, which is decidedly not mainstream Republican policy. He said Obama founded ISIS.

Trump is not remotely in the same ballpark as his republican predecessors.
I used a little hyperbole with “always”, but I stand behind my general sentiment.

Yes, we can go back 25 years and find a different Republican Party.

In that 25 years the only predecessor was W. His own party told him to take his pro-immigration stance and shove it up his ass. Yes W urged restraint towards Muslims, while launching a literal “get me, I’m a ****in Templar” crusade.

As for the birther thing, Hillary took that dump on the racetrack.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:19 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,